mario the movie poster (new game awards clip)

(Nov 29, 2022 at 11:27 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Trailer looks great, I'm really into it. I feel like if this came out when we were 12 I would've lost my fucking mind. Kids have such cool shit nowadays

Well I think it looks awful and here's why you're wrong.

Notice the detail on Mario pants is supremely innacuate. If they were going for a more realistic style why didn't they just copy his model from Super Smash Brothers X[Brawl in America}, Illumination Mario is also extremely jarring with the decision and ratio of the fat distribution in Mario's face; yes we know he's italian but he isn't obese. Here we once again have American propoganda trying to push body positive rhetoric on the most impressionable audience; gamers and why the FUCK is he not using his kart from MARIO KART DS.

0/10 movie. Can't believe they fucked up this bad.
Better luck next time nintendo, maybe you'll learn from this flop
Spritanium
Mario is about body positivity but also balancing what you eat with what you do. He'll eat a stromboli in one bite but then he runs an olympic-level obstacle course
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Draku
(Nov 29, 2022 at 10:20 PM)T-man Wrote:
Good god the writing in this movie is insufferable. I know it's partially the trailer editing and framing making everything even stupider but the amount of fakeout fight/action gags in this movie is going to be critical mass apparently. The dialogue feels like it's trying way too hard, though again, cherrypicked and edited lines for the trailers... I would hope at least (The writer credits don't inspire much). I like the amount of various game inspiration they're drawing from, though.

The Sonic movies knew how to have Sonic do the insufferable modern kid stuff and then have the other characters react appropriately so it would be something appealing for all ages, and even then it was characterized because he grew up doing nothing but exploring exaggerated media. And then Robotnik has his own brand of acting crazy, because he's Jim Carrey Robotnik. None of the other characters act that way and the gags for all of them generally fall into place in ways that are more naturally amusing.

(Nov 29, 2022 at 8:38 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Am I the only one who thinks it would've been weirder if the movie designs were completely on-model? If they just used the game models it would look like a SFM fan project, and it would be incredibly unsettling to see them speaking in complete sentences
i'm not asking for them to use the game models and level of detail, just for them to be able to adapt the character designs in a way that doesn't fuck up basic recognizability shit like their facial proportions. mario has a handful of really high production value cutscenes that all look great as it is and sonic has proven that you can make a completely on model cutscene from the 00s look fucking incredible.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
why did they make mario's arms blue
T-man
[Image: FixZtG5VIAArKZy?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: FixZuYkVsAUsX-A?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: FixaLSOUcAA2lVU?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: FixaMz2VsAApFGT?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: Fixag_oVUAAk0W2?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: FixauaGUcAA3WMM?format=jpg&name=large]
T-man
All of the posters are great but Luigi, Bowser and Toad's are my favorite. Glowing fire flowers in the night is, to my knowledge, untapped imagery and I love it.
T-man
and the one of peach's castle from yesterday i dont think i posted because it wasnt a leak

[Image: FirrWZRX0AIF-Y6?format=jpg&name=large]
Aidan
[Image: l0iWzLW.png]
*peach kicks bowser in the balls*
bowser: AAAAAIIIIIEEEEE
luigi: that's GOTTA hurt
mario: yeowch, right in the mushrooms
daisy: you go girl!
toad: i felt that one from here
donkey kong: *covers eyes with hands, moves one finger to peek*
peach: don't mess with a princess!
Draku
(Nov 30, 2022 at 1:53 AM)T-man Wrote: movie posters
Holy crap they could certainly have picked some better lighting for the Peach one.

I didn't get a good look at DK's design in the trailer, that's REALLY bad. Thankfully it doesn't seem like he plays that large a part.
T-man
[Image: Q4cJXeY.png]
santa.
[Image: lvY6pU9.png]
Yrrzy
all the non-human designs look incredible tbh
peach looks ok
mario and luigi will take some getting used to, cause theyre usually so consistent
Yrrzy
the environments are stellar too, i love all the paintings in peach's castle
Draku
(Nov 30, 2022 at 11:32 AM)Yrrzy Wrote: the environments are stellar too, i love all the paintings in peach's castle
The environments are the one thing I definitely love -- every setting we've seen looks fucking incredible. Even if I think the redesigns all look poor to average, everyone on background duty was putting in 130%.
T-man
30 second TV spot with new footage
Spritanium
Futurama did that joke 20 years ago, but I can't say it doesn't work
T-man
(Nov 30, 2022 at 5:42 PM)Spritanium Wrote: ________ did that joke __ years ago, but I can't say it doesn't work
I have a strange feeling that this sentence can be applied to most jokes in the movie. It is nice to finally hear some actual conversational dialogue from Chris Pratt. I'd really like to see a scene from the actual movie with no trailer editing, maybe at The Game Awards.
Aidan
if you want to hear him talking to people there's like 200 eps of parks and recreation
Spritanium
I think what's so weird about his Mario performance is that it seems more restrained + less goofy than Andy in Parks & Rec, who is not a cartoon

It's like for some reason they went out of their way to make Mario, the "yippee wahoo owowowow" guy, just sound like as much of a regular dude as possible
Spritanium
For some reason I keep imagining Shigeru Miyamoto having a Wiseauesque approach to this casting choice, like "we need all-american hero, matt damon kind of guy, no mickey mouse stuff"