Spritanium
The MLSS battle sprites look fine in a side scroller, I used them plenty of times throughout the years in random Game Maker tests

You have to push the sprites down a little bit into the floor for it to look right, and the rest of the sprites have to match that 2.5D-type look, but I would much rather look at that style

You have a point though, I'd rather people just make their own sprites. Fangaming is so brainlessly easy nowadays that you really need something exciting to distinguish your game from the ten million Mario 3 ripoffs in existence

Actually don't even use sprites unless it's for stylistic reasons. Sprites only exist in the first place because of technological limitations. Mario looks like shit in the early games because they had to fit a human shape with a full range of movement into a 16x32px box. These limitations don't exist anymore, so why not draw some nice art and just use that? Why would anyone want to play a game that simulates a ridiculously small screen when I could just play the ridiculously small screen and at least not have to squint as hard?

I'd say a fangame is less about being true to the original series, and more about the exact opposite of that. The original series already exists, and I'm pretty sure Nintendo's version of SMB3 is better than the countless fangames riding on its coattails even though it's nearly 30 years old. All the crazy developments that have been made in gaming since then, and fangaming is still chained to whatever decade the original game came out. There's something wrong with that picture lol
Spritanium
Also, why the fuck aren't N64-based fangames a thing? Since people get off on old graphics I'm legitimately surprised there aren't more 3D fangames with a deliberately-low polygon count. I mean I'd prefer people just use the technology that's available to its fullest extent (nostalgia aside, smooth edges are better than sharp corners), but if they're going to try to relive their childhood through shitty fangames I'd at least like to see some more variation.
Spritanium
I also want to see the return of bad fangames. With tools like the Hello engine, effortless games look exactly the same as ones that actually have a lot of thought put into them. I want more games like Paper Mario World, where it's just competely off-the-wall and you have no idea why it is the way it is
[Image: supercorrect.png]
kaZaam
i think making fangames at all for a lot of lazy devs is just an excuse to just have half the work done for them tbh. like i had so much more fun making games as a kid when i started making my own characters n concepts n shit. like they think using assets from other games is going to make things easier and it does at first but p much alw ends up limiting your creativity unless you're just str8 brilliant and should prob be using your skills for og ideas anyway
Spritanium
(Jun 7, 2016 at 5:54 PM)McPhresh Wrote: i think making fangames at all for a lot of lazy devs is just an excuse to just have half the work done for them tbh. like i had so much more fun making games as a kid when i started making my own characters n concepts n shit. like they think using assets from other games is going to make things easier and it does at first but p much alw ends up limiting your creativity unless you're just str8 brilliant and should prob be using your skills for og ideas anyway

Yeah also a good point.

I guess I just don't get it, like how can you derive satisfaction or pride from using someone else's tool without even modifying anything? Engines, plugins, and that type of thing are awesome, and we'd be lost without them, but you shouldn't be able to tell what engine a game is using just by looking at it. Don't reinvent the wheel, but don't steal someone's tires either
kaZaam
(Jun 7, 2016 at 5:44 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Also, why the fuck aren't N64-based fangames a thing? Since people get off on old graphics I'm legitimately surprised there aren't more 3D fangames with a deliberately-low polygon count. I mean I'd prefer people just use the technology that's available to its fullest extent (nostalgia aside, smooth edges are better than sharp corners), but if they're going to try to relive their childhood through shitty fangames I'd at least like to see some more variation.
idt most devs have the technical nowhow to pull that off but yea sounds neat. prob wouldn't be too hard once you got past that learning curve though. low poly 3d games need to be more of a thing in general really, the faux-8bit style got old fast
(Jun 7, 2016 at 5:46 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I also want to see the return of bad fangames. With tools like the Hello engine, effortless games look exactly the same as ones that actually have a lot of thought put into them. I want more games like Paper Mario World, where it's just competely off-the-wall and you have no idea why it is the way it is
oh fuck yeah. there's a certain charm to shitty games (esp paper mario world in particular) that really get to me. like seriously, fuck consistent mechanics or consistent anything ftm. ffs these feckin 10 y/o devs aren't going to make anything good or solid even w tools like the hello engine or anything really cause their minds arent on the mechanics or good lvl design or w/e the fuck. they just wanna see whatever weird bullshit they can make up for nintendo characters to do in a thing that you can play. really takes you back to when all you cared about was the same shit.

i think stepping away from clickteam tools n more towards game maker and actual engines n shit kinda took away from this and idk its a good thing and a bad thing to me
kaZaam
(Jun 7, 2016 at 5:59 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I guess I just don't get it, like how can you derive satisfaction or pride from using someone else's tool without even modifying anything? Engines, plugins, and that type of thing are awesome, and we'd be lost without them, but you shouldn't be able to tell what engine a game is using just by looking at it. Don't reinvent the wheel, but don't steal someone's tires either
it's prob just the novelty of being able to make your own mario levels without having to do any of the hard work like the mechanics or graphics or anything. that novelty prob wears quick though cause it's p fuckin tough to make a mario game thats consistently fun to play eben if everything besides the level design is alr done for you.
Spritanium
I'd like to see someone make a tool similar to Game Maker, but with common actions built in. Like you can choose a boilerplate to start with (RPG, Platformer, Fighting, etc) and it'll start you with a blank canvas, but guide you through the process based on the type of game you want.

I think what makes people get scared and turn to engines is that they don't understand programming, they just understand gaming and want to make something you can play. If there was a tool that would let people stop thinking in terms of objects & variables and instead let them develop intuitively, I think that could make a huge difference in the variety of fangames and budgetless indie games.

Actually I think that's pretty much what mechasource was supposed to be SoVeryHappy
kaZaam
thats what clickteam programs are ffs
T-man

>mechasource

lol
T-man
I miss MFGG Royale.
I wasn't involved with whatever dumbass thing it was based on, but the game was tits.
Spritanium
(Jun 7, 2016 at 6:15 PM)McPhresh Wrote: thats what clickteam programs are ffs

Really? I tried using MMF2 one time and I couldn't figure out what the fuck it wanted me to do. Game Maker always made sense.

Anyway, like you said, Clickteam tools resulted in a lot of half-baked fangames, which is both good and bad for different reasons. I'd love to see something like that come back; I want to experience the unadulterated weird shit that people want to put into their games
Yoshin
(Jun 7, 2016 at 5:44 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Also, why the fuck aren't N64-based fangames a thing? Since people get off on old graphics I'm legitimately surprised there aren't more 3D fangames with a deliberately-low polygon count.
Low polygon modelling is a harder art to master then smas/smw sprites
Spritanium
(Jun 7, 2016 at 7:01 PM)Yoshin Wrote:
(Jun 7, 2016 at 5:44 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Also, why the fuck aren't N64-based fangames a thing? Since people get off on old graphics I'm legitimately surprised there aren't more 3D fangames with a deliberately-low polygon count.

Why don't people rip the Super Mario 64 model and use that? I mean it's clearly more complicated, but so is 3D gaming in general
T-man
(Jun 7, 2016 at 7:03 PM)Spritanium Wrote:
(Jun 7, 2016 at 7:01 PM)Yoshin Wrote:

Why don't people rip the Super Mario 64 model and use that? I mean it's clearly more complicated, but so is 3D gaming in general

I think Nintendo shutting down anything that looks remotely good has more or less discouraged anyone from putting forth the effort of making a full 3D fan game. Nintendo doesn't mind the 2D games as it's usually inferior amateur stuff.
T-man
god bless paper mario 3d land

fucker5
Gamedev tools are fun. I'm making a personalized RPGMaker for my current project, if I finish that (>implying) I'll probably try to turn the tools into a decent open source RPGMaker clone, however I am terrible at coding so who knows how much that'd mean to anybody!!!!

Also Hello Engine was the original Mario Maker.
fucker5
paper mario world ruled

press ENTER to continue.......
Doctor Lurker
I like MFGG because I don't have to post there.
T-man
(Jun 19, 2016 at 1:05 AM)Doctor Lurker Wrote: I like MFGG because I don't have to post there.

mfgg felt that from here