Have we matured beyond the need for anti-flaming rules?

Spritanium
So taking everyone's comments into consideration, I agree it's good to have some sort of rule keeping insults from getting too out of hand, especially when they're personal. However these two rules:

Quote:Etiquette
If you’re constantly getting into arguments with people, or insulting them, their posts, or anything else about them, you’re doing something wrong. This is a community forum, so if you don’t get along with the community, you really should consider the reasons as to why you’re here. Thus, if you make a post that is meant to provoke or insult someone (This includes stating that they are present on your Ignore List) it will be dealt with.

Be civil. If you can’t say something without being passive aggressive, insulting, sarcastic or just plain rude, please don’t say anything at all.

Discrimination
Racism and discrimination against any group based on their race, sexuality, gender, etc. is prohibited. This includes such things as insults or offensive generalizations based on such factors. The use of slurs is also prohibited. If a video or an image that you didn't make but want to post has slurs, you may still post it but hidden with spoiler tags as it were NSFW content. This rule does not cover hobbies or interests. We try to be a fair community, and everybody should be welcome here regardless of who they are, so discrimination is something that we're strongly against. This is an encompassing rule, so it's not exclusive to minorities.
...make our attitude toward the subject seem a little draconian when compared to the way such offenses are actually treated by the moderation staff. I also don't like "consider the reasons as to why you're here"...I want everyone here who wants to be here.

I'd rewrite these rules as such:

Quote:Etiquette
When you act nice, people will tend to act nice back to you. That said, Minus World facilitates all types of discussions and viewpoints, and we don't try to censor anyone from getting their opinion across - instead, you are at the mercy of the community. Posts on Minus World can't be downvoted, but they can be vandalized by other users through the use of Spells.

If you get very personal with your insults and/or target specific users in a way which makes them feel unwelcome, you're doing something wrong. If you have a problem with someone, keep in mind that you have at least one thing in common: you both want to be on Minus World. Try to work toward a mutual understanding so everyone can learn from each other and grow together.

Insults, callouts, and the like will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Normally, an insulting post will remain visible unless a targeted user decides to report it. Just keep in mind that getting someone warned or banned for throwing shade will likely not change their mind; continuing the discussion as civilly as possible is often the best choice. "Don't go to bed angry", as they say.

Discrimination
Treatment toward marginalized groups is largely covered by the Etiquette rule. No user will receive special treatment based on personal attributes - the only special treatment received by Minus World users will be directly related to achievements they've made within Minus World itself. Apart from that, the staff will treat everybody equally.

Slurs and offensive generalizations are also covered by the Etiquette rule: what is reported will be censored with a spoiler tag. Users are highly encouraged to be courteous and kind toward others by preemptively using a spoiler tag for anything they believe might cause someone undue stress.

We try to be a fair community, and everybody should be welcome here regardless of who they are, so discrimination is something that we're strongly against. As such, if you decide to be a bigoted prick, you'll quickly find that the community doesn't take kindly to such behavior.
Spritanium
jfc man I'm not referring to anyone in particular

Try to cool down the victim complex a lil
Spritanium
My point is minus world is objectively not a safe space and the rules shouldn't say it is
Spritanium
Under the current rules anytime someone uses a slur action should be taken against them, which clearly doesn't happen. So how does it make any sense for the rule to go unchanged
Spritanium

> spells should not be a replacement for moderation

Why not? Instead of saying "that's fucking stupid" you could try to use your head and explain yourself

I think the more power we give to users, and take away from mods, the more effective discussions will be

I really don't understand the sentiment that the rules should be left intentionally incorrect, especially since anyone could join MW thinking it is a safe space (as implied by the rules) and then be greeted by people tossing out slurs like candy. Is that something we want to happen lol
[Image: supercorrect.png]
kaZaam
why are spells used against hateposts suddenly this unanimous expression of The Users and not just one person ineffectively fucking with a post because it upset them or something? if anything you seem to be making a case for moderation in a system like this
kaZaam
we're gonna show you how bigotry is wrong and unwelcome by one person putting a picture of ink on your post you can easily get rid of
kaZaam
we're gonna show you how bigotry is wrong and unwelcome by most of the community being generally apathetic to it and condescending to anyone who brings it up at all.

This Isn't Your Safe Space, It's Mine
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
Spritanium
I don't know what you're going on about
Spritanium
I don't need or want a safe space; safe spaces don't facilitate unbiased discussion

What are you even talking about
Spritanium
Anyway the final answer to this thread seems to be no, we haven't matured, moderators just aren't enforcing the rules properly.

In this case I ask that mods actually censor slurs as they're supposed to; there's no reason the rules should include guidelines that don't actually exist
kaZaam
(Jan 5, 2017 at 7:31 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I don't know what you're going on about
(Jan 5, 2017 at 7:32 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I don't need or want a safe space; safe spaces don't facilitate unbiased discussion

What are you even talking about

im talking about the posts you've made and i guess mw as a whole
(Jan 5, 2017 at 7:37 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Anyway the final answer to this thread seems to be no, we haven't matured, moderators just aren't enforcing the rules properly.

In this case I ask that mods actually censor slurs as they're supposed to; there's no reason the rules should include guidelines that don't actually exist

ok
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
T-man
Spritey I think you're being a little ridiculous. This is a relatively small, tight knit community and since we're all pretty comfortable with one another that some things can be overlooked. And that's okay. Removing the anti-flame and slur thing isn't a precedent that the community wants to sent right now and I don't particularly blame them.
Draku
(Jan 5, 2017 at 4:37 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I also don't like "consider the reasons as to why you're here"...I want everyone here who wants to be here.
LOL that's one of the things i forgot to rephrase when i copied the old mean as fuck rules over. i'll handle that in a sec.

(Jan 5, 2017 at 7:37 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Anyway the final answer to this thread seems to be no, we haven't matured, moderators just aren't enforcing the rules properly.

i need to clarify some of the rules to be what they're actually like in practice too, then. because i think they work better that way

edit: done
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Fun With Despair

you're overreacting honestly.

mods shouldnt go around instamodding people the second they say something "mean". wait for reports to see if it even bothers anyone first god damn. when in doubt, don't be a mechabowser.
Spritanium
That was literally the point of this thread, I was saying it was cool that the moderation was more lax, and everyone decided to turn it into whatever the fuck this is
Fun With Despair
(Jan 5, 2017 at 8:59 PM)Spritanium Wrote: That was literally the point of this thread, I was saying it was cool that the moderation was more lax, and everyone decided to turn it into whatever the fuck this is
but now you went back on that?

i think you were on the right track before, even if people said otherwise afterwards.

i can't think of a single person here who won't get burned eventually if mods turned around and cracked down on them like they apparently want.
Spritanium
Oh shit, no that's not what I mean at all. My rewrite definitely needs another rewrite if that's what it conveyed. I still want stuff to be ispoiler'd if people report it