video game-related opinions that you have

T-man
the reveal to release duration should be no longer than 8 months, when a game is in the public consciousness too long its like the game already came out and when the game finally does arrive no one gives a shit anymore
Two_Finger
see: the last guardian
Draku
Yeah I hate whenever companies let shit hang over peoples' heads for too long.

It's even worse because if you show shit too early on in development then it'll have drastically changed by release time anyways.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Fun With Despair
datamining legitimately ruins almost all modern games, as it's near impossible to keep any kind of meaningful secret in the game because of how easily datamined anything is. It's impossible to actually create the kind of secrets and cool shit that older games used to have back in the day, and that really kills any enjoyment from me.

MMOs with secret bosses or dungeons only available very rarely? Nah man shit is datamined the day the patch comes out. Secret weapons or outfits in RPGs? Datamined day one. the worst shit is that it's near impossible to actually avoid finding out about these things because shit is spread everywhere.

Bloodborne on the PS4 is a really cool example of what a game can do when it's impossible to datamine. It has a shitload of secrets located in the chalice dungeon parts of the game and people are still finding new things to this day. It's amazing.
Yoshin
if you're porting a game to english from another language don't dumb it down or make it more kid-friendly
I fucking hate Fire Emblem so much because of this, but fe isn't the only contender, and its not limited to nintendo consoles.
Too many games that have great dialog and stories in their native language are ruined with bad dub style jokes, and having "challenging" dialog changed to be friendly. There's a reason it was written that way in the first place, and when you cut a scene because its "insensitive" only makes it worse.
Draku
(Jan 9, 2017 at 11:40 PM)Yoshin Wrote: if you're porting a game to english from another language don't dumb it down or make it more kid-friendly
I fucking hate Fire Emblem so much because of this, but fe isn't the only contender, and its not limited to nintendo consoles.
Too many games that have great dialog and stories in their native language are ruined with bad dub style jokes, and having "challenging" dialog changed to be friendly. There's a reason it was written that way in the first place, and when you cut a scene because its "insensitive" only makes it worse.
Messing with the original creator's vision pisses me off like nothing else.

Even in some rare cases where I prefer the change, it still feels wrong.

(Jan 9, 2017 at 11:30 PM)Fun With Despair Wrote: datamining legitimately ruins almost all modern games
I really wish that PC ports didn't come with so many hangups that turn into a net negative. Not only the datamining thing but also how fucking terrible the general PC gaming community is.
Fun With Despair
(Jan 9, 2017 at 11:58 PM)Pedigree Wrote: Although I backed Yooka Laylee and that seems to be turning out well I think everyone should be a lot more careful about which projects they back on crowdfunding sites after the disasters that are shit like Mighty No. 9 and the (will it ever be released) A Hat in Time.
people I know are aware that I like 3D collectathons and if they ever mention A Hat In Time I'll go on like a ten minute rant about how much of a total cunt mechabowser is and how he's a known scammer with tons of shady shit about him easily found online.

I am honestly pissed that got backed.
Spritanium
(Jan 9, 2017 at 10:30 PM)T-man Wrote: the reveal to release duration should be no longer than 8 months, when a game is in the public consciousness too long its like the game already came out and when the game finally does arrive no one gives a shit anymore
Just once I want a first-party game to be released out of nowhere with no artificial hype. The feeling of going into a store, finding an awesome title you've never heard of, and taking it home to find out what it's about is a relic nowdays
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Fun With Despair
(Jan 10, 2017 at 5:38 AM)Spritanium Wrote:
(Jan 9, 2017 at 10:30 PM)T-man Wrote: the reveal to release duration should be no longer than 8 months, when a game is in the public consciousness too long its like the game already came out and when the game finally does arrive no one gives a shit anymore
Just once I want a first-party game to be released out of nowhere with no artificial hype. The feeling of going into a store, finding an awesome title you've never heard of, and taking it home to find out what it's about is a relic nowdays
>first party

yeah that wasn't a thing unless you didn't have cable, but I do miss finding random fucking games like buck bumble or blast corps with no fucking mention of their release and loving them
Spritanium

> commercials

I never paid attention to that shit Grin
Beako
Super Paper Mario is a good game.
T-man
(Jan 12, 2017 at 10:49 PM)Beako Wrote: Super Paper Mario is a good game.
it's good for one playthrough
playing it again is a slog
Draku
(Jan 13, 2017 at 12:53 AM)T-man Wrote:
I can say this about a lot of great games, especially text-heavy ones.

You have to let it rest for a while before you can replay those, then they're surprisingly fresh again. I would love to play SPM again by now and I probably should.
Draku
(Jan 13, 2017 at 1:17 AM)Spirit of Iwata Wrote: In actuality Super Paper Mario is an ok game, but it pretty much started the decline in the Paper Mario series because apparently Nintendo doesn't remember what was good about Paper Mario or Paper Mario: TTYD. They kept trying to make it a simpler more casual game and move it away from being an action RPG.

If Super Paper Mario wasn't a Paper Mario game, maybe I would have liked it more.
no, super paper mario was just them having fun with a neat little concept and they intended to go right back to PM1/TTYD style RPG combat, but then miyamoto took a big steamy shit on that
T-man
senile old fuck Wrote:After E3, Miyamoto-san played the prototype and said it was just a port of the GC version.
[Image: cjMHvgl.jpg]
fuck sticker star
Fun With Despair
(Jan 13, 2017 at 1:04 AM)Draku Wrote:
(Jan 13, 2017 at 12:53 AM)T-man Wrote:
I can say this about a lot of great games, especially text-heavy ones.

You have to let it rest for a while before you can replay those, then they're surprisingly fresh again. I would love to play SPM again by now and I probably should.
Nah, SPM is different than a lot of text based games in that it's actually pretty damn boring gameplay-wise too.

The story is amazing, but it's very simplistic and grows dull very quickly on replay.
T-man
(Jan 13, 2017 at 1:47 AM)Fun With Despair Wrote: Nah, SPM is different than a lot of text based games in that it's actually pretty damn boring gameplay-wise too.
this tbqhwyf

super paper mario is like a worse smb that you can make 3d sometimes but the catch is 3d looks like shit and isn't interesting at all
Draku
it's a very simple game but i remember having a lot of fun with it despite that

probably because i didn't abuse the stuff that broke the game too much
Spritanium
I think what bothered me about SPM was that the 3D effect was touted as some mindblowing new addition, when actually it just allowed you to feel like you were playing a real Paper Mario game for 10 seconds at a time. Then the remaining 99.9% of the game is just the 2D sidescrolling levels from TTYD on acid.

The "turn your 2D level momentarily 3D" concept would have been fucking awesome in any 2D Mario game, the problem is PM is already supposed to be in 3D
T-man
also the photoshop shape npcs suck dick

its supposed to be goobas and koopas and little mario looking blob things

Thread Tags

vidya