Spritanium
Anyway backward compatibility isn't really an excuse to me. I guess it depends how much they're charging for the remasters, but if it's a full $60, then by that point you could probably get an original PlayStation + the game you want from some mom on ebay.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
T-man
(Jun 17, 2016 at 6:12 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Oh they have a place for sure, it just seems like the amount of remakes vs. original games leans staggeringly one way

I don't think so. The only remakes/remasters from this year's E3 that jump to mind are Crash Bandicoot, Skyrim, and the original Modern Warfare (which Activision locked behind a preorder so they could trick people into buying the new CoD)

I was really looking forward to seeing more of Media Molecule's new title, I'm incredibly disappointed that they opted not to show up this year. I'm also incredibly disappointed they didn't have a spot for Gravity Rush 2 in their presentation as it would have helped break up the slog of graphically similar western titles.

Oh, and speaking of Gravity Rush, it benefited immensely from it's PS4 remaster. Better controls, better graphics, better framerate, was on a console people actually own. It was good stuff.
Spritanium
I don't know about Sony honestly, I was more referring to video games collectively (although Nintendo is probably the worst offender)

Idk why a Sony announcement got me heated about Nintendo but there you go :v:
[Image: supercorrect.png]
T-man
Nintendo has alienated me so I don't even bother with them anymore. They strayed from the type of 3D Mario that I care about, they ruined Paper Mario because reasons, and they're more or less ignorant to all modern conveniences featured in their competitor's hardware. Splatoon and the new Zelda are steps in the right direction, but the only thing that will get me to buy an NX is a Mario game in the vein of 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy.
Mario
[deleted]
T-man
(Jun 17, 2016 at 7:41 PM)wtl Wrote: is there anything 'new' about the new zelda or is it 'oh we gotta make this like every other fantasy game out on the market now. because'
While it's definitely the latter, I find that most diehard Nintendo fans don't know the difference as their gaming usually takes place on Nintendo consoles and they're more or less ignorant to the gaming world outside of Nintendo. The best aspects of the new Zelda have been pilfered from other games by other studios, but Nintendo gets all the praise because they're just now catching up to everyone else.
T-man
By the way, You know what I can't fucking stand? On-stage demos. Every E3 we're always subjected to at least one mind-numbing demonstration for a game some people might not give two fucks about. I really appreciated Sony's rapid-fire format this year. Despite having that 10-minute long demo for the new God of War (which did look kinda nice I guess), they showed trailer after trailer with very little PR in between.
Draku
(Jun 17, 2016 at 5:54 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Why are there so many goddamn remakes and remasters?
Cheap and quick to make and guaranteed to sell because it's both an established title and even one people already know is good or not.

There's nothing more to it.

also fuck nintendo at this point, i don't think i'm going to bother buying anything NX related unless something REALLY catches my eye or they get some good third parties in (unlikely).
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Mario
[deleted]
Mario
[deleted]
Two_Finger
In some cases these hd/remakes and whatever are put out to gauge interest in a new installment. of course that's not what people want when they ask for a new game and so in some cases they don't sell very well, which leads to no games because the business thinks there's no money in that ip anymore.
T-man
(Jun 17, 2016 at 11:47 PM)Two_Finger Wrote: In some cases these hd/remakes and whatever are put out to gauge interest in a new installment. of course that's not what people want when they ask for a new game and so in some cases they don't sell very well, which leads to no games because the business thinks there's no money in that ip anymore.

I can't fucking stand this mentality.

>you didn't buy the same game again so you must not want a new one sorry :(((

Two_Finger
yeah it's terrible and I wish these certain businesses didn't do that
Doctor Lurker
(Jun 17, 2016 at 5:54 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Take Pokemon remakes for instance: when I play GSC, or even see footage from it, I'm instantly taken back to 2001 when I got my first GBA. Because it's the same game I played back then, so it makes sense for me to have that warm fuzzy feeling. When I play HeartGold, it's more of a fun novelty for a few minutes, after which I just start asking myself why I'm playing an "updated" version of something that was so great to begin with. Those graphics and synths may be crappy by today's standards but they're constantly in my head - the real version, not the "fixed" one.

I can definitely relate. My HeartGold save is still sitting at the point the legendary dogs escape from the tower. I saved right after that and just didn't bother to keep playing. Pokemon is a slightly different beast, however, because Nintendo has some stupidly archaic practices regarding it (buy multiple versions of the same game with minor differences to get everything or have friends (mitigated by the online trading that you can do with random people now)). Remakes for those games end up almost being a necessity because they refuse to fix those core problems.

Ironically, having to buy multiple versions is a problem for people who don't want to use online features and don't have local friends who play, but is a pretty genius way to milk your franchise for extra profit. Really have to hand it to them for daring to do it, originally, and sticking with it all this time.

Overall, though, when a remake comes from a good place and makes the game more accessible for a younger generation, I have no problems with it. When it's used to figure out how many people would buy a sequel, or determine interest in the series, as a whole, is when I start to find fault with them. Tired of seeing them over new projects, in general, though.