[Linux Thread] previously: so uh my motherboard died on me

Stirling
This is the thread for the forum to talk about Linux and related stuff.

gonna take like a week for it to send and asus to return it

in the meantime i'm on my shite vista computer with a 2.2ghz cpu, gt 430, and 3gb of ram

i have decided now is the time to try out linux, but i'm not sure which distro? any suggestions?
Stirling
oh yeah and i have my hdd on this running the os, the recovery partition, and then a second, 1tb hdd that i used in my other computer for all my daily file storage

not gonna have to mess with the 1tb am i? not worried about losing the recovery partition for vista and was just gonna use the 10gb of storage it had anyways
Get it by your own hands.

MFGG Staff Slaying Expert
Kill List
Spoiler:
Assist List
Spoiler:
Spritanium
afaik you'll be able to use all the files on the 1TB without making any modifications, but I've never used a linux distro longer than 15 minutes so I can't say for sure

Also

> 3gb ram

hahaha holy shit I remember when this was a thing. Because who needs dual channel anyway
[Image: supercorrect.png]
kaZaam
wait you can rma broken things youve had for more than like a week
Spritanium
(Jun 15, 2016 at 6:40 PM)McPhresh Wrote: wait you can rma broken things youve had for more than like a week

Yeah that's what a warranty is. Computer components can usually be RMAd for like a year or more
[Image: supercorrect.png]
kaZaam
oh wait no i neber sent back my mb that came broke cause i just couldnt be assed lmao. mayb i should do that now?? not sure if the warranty's void
Yoshin
Debian/debian based distros are probably the best for newcomers
Mario
[deleted]
Stirling
yeah i'm not gonna stick with linux at the moment, just using it so the old comp isn't a slow piece of shit

liking ubuntu, and linux in general since you have to have some understanding of what is going on to do things

also yeah 3 year warranty on my mobo beetches
Stirling
also it is a z-87a that was like under 40 usd; quite an upgrade from a leonite2
Stirling
so i kind of hate ubuntu's lack of customization in the desktop environment

changing that sounds like it's pretty major, and sort of like "why not just go all out with another linux distro"

am i wrong?

This is now a Linux thread.

Kill List
Spoiler:
Assist List
Spoiler:
Yoshin
install xfce if you want better customization
Yoshin
Tips from @wtl:

(May 27, 2016 at 2:35 AM)wtl Wrote: there's better software / experience in GNU+Linux if you take the time to learn it. understandably not everyone does so w/e

tips for yohsin for a Premium GNU+Linux Desktop Experience:
- learn the cli. it's kind of unavoidable cuz most of the GUIs suck and miss some key shit that can only be done by cli anyway LOL. but also the cli is better
- learn vim
- try out i3 (sometimes packaged as i3wm), pretty solid tiling window manager that I Enjoy Using

but i mean do whatever you want Its Your Computer Your Experience. just fuck microsoft
Stirling
gracias chiquito

Kill List
Spoiler:
Assist List
Spoiler:
Yoshin
If this is the linux thread then I may aswell post about the new netbook I got setup
[Image: diiFVpl.png]
Draku
i see that you're rocking one of those phone-sized netbooks
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Yoshin
It's actually about 25~26ish cm
Sadly all it can do is stream media, trying to browse the web or emulate anything slows it down a little - barely even usable