Games you like, Sequels you don't

Fun With Despair
(Feb 22, 2017 at 6:33 PM)Syaxamaphone Wrote:
(Feb 21, 2017 at 3:42 PM)T-man Wrote: Unfortunately, many players are understandably stressed by these countdowns and deadlines. I typically play games to unclench my anus, not be hurried along and eventually fail forever because I guess I didn't do the thing fast enough lmao

I absolutely get this and totally understand. It certainly isn't a playstyle that's for everyone.

But also get good. Pikmin is a real-time strategy game BECAUSE of the deadline. There is no strategy in pikmin 2 because time is infinite. You just throw pikmin at things until the game is over. Its all brute force. All the puzzles equate to one of those baby put the colored block into the same-shape hole games.

But you're right, pikmin 3 is a pretty nice happy medium. A lot of the three-captain puzzles are actually p cool. Shame they removed directing pikmin with c stick.
I think the time limit mechanics in these types of games do always either need to take it all the way and be strict as hell, a constant source of panic, or do what MM did and give you a creative way to circumvent it at the loss of certain other things.

Pikmin 1 fails at this for me, because while there is definitely that limit, the game is still easy enough that you don't even have to worry about it and it's mostly a non-issue. 3 tries to take more of a MM route but collecting fruit is easy and doesn't really have any drawbacks like turning back time does in MM.

I like the concept but the execution feels flawed to me. 2 had no limit at all but honestly 1 might as well have not had it either.
Syaxamaphone
I see where you're coming from. Going in the first time, the 30 day deadline (while lenient enough) was actually pretty scary, especially if you had a bad day where you lost a bunch of pikmin and had to either go back to crash site to restock or spend a half a day scrounging up enemy corpses. In your first run there is a lot to consider like how many pikmin you might need (you don't know what monsters you'll eventually need to face) and where the parts are and how heavy they will be. All of this becomes a non-issue after the first run

Once you get the hang of it, 30 days might as well be infinity days since there are a lot of opportunities to get 2-3 parts in a day once you know where they are.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the 30 day deadline only really applies to your first run and on that run I think it does its job well. After you know where everything is though, it completely neuters the mechanic.

MM certainly handled it better than pikmin tho, you've got that right.
[Image: NZRK1uk.gif]
Zae Eildus
(Feb 22, 2017 at 2:14 AM)zelma Wrote:
(Feb 21, 2017 at 2:20 PM)Zae Eildus Wrote:
(Feb 19, 2017 at 8:48 AM)zelma Wrote: You know how people say Earthbound is a boring game but has lots of cool moments that make you keep playing?

no i dont pls explain these cool moments in the likes of mother 2/eb.

Lmao I know you personally don't like EB but if you didn't think moonside, threed, dungeon man, magicant were cool you're just weird.

might have been more interesting if the main characters werent card board.