T-man

you're a kid now you're a squid now
Vertette

>need to pay to play this online

No thank you tbh
AWFADragNaut
(Jan 13, 2017 at 11:46 AM)Vertette Wrote: >need to pay to play this online
No thank you tbh

Honestly that likely means the game will have a bigger single player element than what we got in the first game
Draku
It's the first game again, with all the same issues it had rather than fixing any of them (Shooting things above you still sucks, already a really questionable map in the Testfire lineup rather than learning anything from Splatoon 1's most successful maps, Gear abilities still exist)

Only now the most integral part of the game is forced into a button press that obscures the entire screen and super jumping is really awkward.

Eh.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
Why the fuck does this game lock joystick control of the Y axis when motion control is in use? That's the main reason I couldn't use them in the first game. It's fucking awkward as shit to control different axis with different inputs. Why oh why would they do this when the method Zelda has been using since the 3DS is literally perfect? You make the broad strokes with the stick in any direction and then fine tune your aim with the motion control.
Pedigree
Couldn't get in, btw I feel like the weapon thing should be handled like Overwatch's hero swapping, where you'd pick a loadout that you need instead of ending up with multiple rollers and stuff like that. In fact, messing with your loadout while waiting for players sounds like a fine way to kill the time.
T-man
(Mar 24, 2017 at 10:04 PM)Pedigree Wrote: Couldn't get in, btw I feel like the weapon thing should be handled like Overwatch's hero swapping, where you'd pick a loadout that you need instead of ending up with multiple rollers and stuff like that. In fact, messing with your loadout while waiting for players sounds like a fine way to kill the time.
I don't remember Splatoon being balanced in a way where your team's loadout was the aspect that mattered.
Pedigree
There were times when my side had been disadvantaged with too many rollers, at least in the first game. Even so, being able to switch weapons while waiting for players, instead of backing all the way out, would be great.
Draku
(Mar 24, 2017 at 9:10 PM)T-man Wrote: Why the fuck does this game lock joystick control of the Y axis when motion control is in use? That's the main reason I couldn't use them in the first game. It's fucking awkward as shit to control different axis with different inputs. Why oh why would they do this when the method Zelda has been using since the 3DS is literally perfect? You make the broad strokes with the stick in any direction and then fine tune your aim with the motion control.
its pretty natural and the closest consoles will ever get to mouse support but they should still allow up and down because aiming at too high things blows.
Spritanium

> not called Spla2n

Boycott
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Pib
can't wait to pay 60 dollars for the first game again, which i only played twice

(Mar 30, 2017 at 4:14 PM)Spritanium Wrote: > not called Spla2n

Boycott

why do you want it to be phonetically identical to the first one???
this post brought to you by pib
Draku
So they improved on the singleplayer which is nice

too bad the price was absolutely and utterly destroying the multi. if they don't confirm a minimap option idk if even the SP will sway me on this.
T-man
(May 17, 2017 at 10:58 PM)Draku Wrote: So they improved on the singleplayer which is nice

too bad the price was absolutely and utterly destroying the multi. if they don't confirm a minimap option idk if even the SP will sway me on this.

I didn't play much of 2's Testfire, how was the multiplayer destroyed? Is it the lack of an ever-present minimap? That's a pretty questionable decision, but I can't see such an omission outright destroying multiplayer. That said, I don't understand why they couldn't just have a translucent model of the map somewhere in the corner. Maybe in the first game they took account for players having to look down to see the map and having to open the map in 2 is some kind of substitute balancing.

I'm happy to see that the single player seems to be a lot more involved this time around, but I'm very disappointed that the levels seem to still be following the "random shit in space" formula. I appreciate more realistic level design with contextualized obstacles.
Draku
(May 19, 2017 at 6:17 PM)T-man Wrote: I didn't play much of 2's Testfire, how was the multiplayer destroyed? Is it the lack of an ever-present minimap? That's a pretty questionable decision, but I can't see such an omission outright destroying multiplayer. That said, I don't understand why they couldn't just have a translucent model of the map somewhere in the corner. Maybe in the first game they took account for players having to look down to see the map and having to open the map in 2 is some kind of substitute balancing.
In the best_ mode, Turf Wars, the map is 100% absolutely fucking vital to have tabs on at all times to play it effectively. Knowing what's getting covered and where your team as is what the game mode was designed around. Not having that there and instead hiding it behind a button press that takes a moment to pop up and COVERS

THE

ENTIRE

GOD

DAMNED

SCREEN breaks the flow of the game SO much that it's nearly unplayable if you're at all used to the first game or wish to play the mode well at all. It's downright insanity that there's no minimap. You never had to "look down" for the map in 1, you could check it with a glance and instantly gleam all the info you needed off of it thanks to the color-based turf claims and easily seen player icons. It's bad enough that super jumping from anywhere other than spawn now is utterly idiotic but think of playing a MOBA or RTS without a minimap. It makes no sense design-wise and only serves to take a fucking sledgehammer to the player's knees and bring everyone down.

"why not press the button while ur safe lol??" it takes longer than it needs to in order to come up and be put away and it's a game where people can pop out of anywhere at any time and instantly kill you, on top of being way clunkier than the first game's perfect solution. there is NO excuse to not have a minimap.
T-man
Yeah, it especially sucks that opening and closing the map is a 2 click process. I can see that leading to panic situations. I bet having to hold the X button for the map to appear and release the X button for it to go away would be more fluid. And appear and disappearing needs to be instantaneous.
Draku
ok so that super cool looking coop mode? it's online!

"seasonally".

with forced weapons.

BUT THERE'S A PERFECTLY FINE LOCAL MODE THAT YOU CAN PLAY AT ANY TIME WITH WEAPON CHOICE.

Whoever made all of the good calls in Splatoon 1's development must have slammed his or her head into a brick wall a couple hundred times before moving on to making the sequel. Holy shit.