[VOID] Patchturday: The Xgoff Xploit has been Xtinguished

Spritanium
We already stopped arguing about this, but like I said, getting free ex without having to contribute (with older members receiving exponentially more than newer ones) is the real No Fun Allowed here. Everything we do is in the interest of maximizing fun.

Metagame parameters do need to be adjusted on the fly from time to time, sometimes the changes will work and sometimes they'll have to be changed back. We do not have the time to get every single member's input on every single solitary update, and that much isn't going to change. For a community like this with limited development time and hugely ambitious ideas, it's better for everyone in the long run if the more mundane tweaks (and this *was*, in the opinion of everyone online at the time, a mundane tweak which wouldn't have affected legitimate usage of the Good Sh*t button) are just thrown out there to see if they stick.

I hope nobody is seriously suggesting slack no longer be used and for every non-aesthetic change to the codebase to be decided through a poll, because I can guarantee in such a dystopian scenario that development would slow to a crawl and we wouldn't have time to add the tons of cool features we have planned. I'm sure everyone understands this which is why there seems to be a clamoring for some kind of committee - but I don't understand why the roles have to be separated like that, especially since the site you see today was mostly built through a focused effort between a team of 5 or 6 people. There already is a committee, we just need more varied members. Usually between Draku, wtl, T-Man, rtsmarty, yrr, and oracular (when she's not dead) we can agree on changes that will be received well, and we admittedly went through with this update with only 4 from that list giving it the go ahead.

We will be sure to put more consideration into how people will react to proposed updates before testing them out. Since the slack has a slight barrier of entry (you have to want to get in) I think it could work very well as a sort of "open entry" committee. Unfortunately I don't see us moving beyond slack as a platform because it has saved us countless times, and all the alternatives are just not as good. For people who don't need to share code snippets constantly I can see how this could be hard to understand, but it's the truth.

I personally invite @kaZaam and @"Miles Prower" to start contributing to the slack, because they're two long standing members who are very important to the community and yet seem dissatisfied with some of the decisions made by our de facto committee. I'm always looking for new perspectives, like I said we could get more done more effectively if we had a wider range of feelings regarding the site. I'd love for these discussions to be more representative of the community as a whole so we can introduce upsetting changes as little as humanly possible.

I think that will be a more constructive solution than claiming the staff is somehow against fun or in favor of conspiring against users to limit their enjoyment. We're not mfgg, you have nobody to hate here.

And finally I do apologize for my arguing style, if it seems like I'm a brick wall then I'm sorry. I really do take criticism into account even if I'm being a dick about it.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Yrrzy
I mean people are gonna use Good Sh*ts how they want to, xgoff Good Sh*tting everyone is how he wants to use it, compared to the debate over Stick Around which was being forced to use Good Sh*ts in a different way then you want to. Stopping someone using Good Sh*t the way they want to use it is the real No Fun Allowed imo.
Spritanium
Honestly there are a ton of issues with this usage of the Good Sh*t button but it's clear people disagree so I'm past it. You may be disappointed when xgoff decides to unclick all those Good Sh*ts a year from now and everyone suddenly drops several levels out of nowhere.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Yrrzy
thats just people usin features the way they want to and thats fine imo
Agastya
i mean tbh that sounds hilarious

we'll finally have a puddin counter
BIRDS ACTIVATED
🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦
Mario
(Jan 15, 2017 at 11:43 AM)Draku Wrote: i feel like slack naturally lends itself to being used entirely for actual working on mw purposes rather than devolving into a normal chat, so i kinda don't want to use irc or discord for the same purpose.

trust me, I like slack and what it does and how it works a lot so I wouldn't be suggesting anything less. Of course we'll do some testing when i find something to make sure it's the right fit as well.

slack is very specifically engineered for companies so they can get companies that use it and like it to pay for the paid features. a lot of people agreed that slack had a lot of great things going for it so there's plenty of what are essentially clones that have different goals in mind

Thread Tags

update patch