[VOID] Patchturday: The Xgoff Xploit has been Xtinguished

Spritanium
(Jan 14, 2017 at 11:45 PM)Super Mario Wrote:
(Jan 14, 2017 at 11:44 PM)Spritanium Wrote:
(Jan 14, 2017 at 11:40 PM)Super Mario Wrote: "I don't want to be coerced to good sh*t a post I don't care for" is in no way the same as "xgoff has chosen to good sh*t every post"
I'm not saying it is

What I'm saying is that if the Good shit button isn't just a means to gain EX, why is it okay for someone to use it on a hundred posts without reading them just to give someone else EX?

because they want to

unless you're implying someone's holding a gun to xgoff
But is anyone making the argument that the GS button exists for any purpose apart from "I like your post"? I definitely thought that was the purpose of the button, I thought a spell that corrupted that purpose for isolated posts was a fun idea, and I think that corrupting that purpose on a forum-wide scale is more of a big deal

If the behavior doesn't coincide with how the button is meant to be used then it's an exploit by definition. I'd be fine with just decreasing the EX earned per click to 1 (under the same conditions) because that still would go a long way to keep people aware of where their EX is coming from.

@"Daddy Bowser" I'm planning on an EX log but it still feels cheap to me to get a bunch of points all at once from posts you've forgotten about. It seems like something you ask your friend to do, "hey, go through all my posts and like them so I get a ton of points". If that's not exploitative of forum features idk what is.

To me the options are either limit EX from old posts, limit the amount of good shits you can leave (bad), or decrease the value of good shits in general (bad)
Spritanium
(Jan 14, 2017 at 11:51 PM)Super Mario Wrote: balance changes should probably have more people involved in the discussion than the 4 people who happened to be around (one of which I'm not even sure what his opinion was lol) I mean I get this was an 'emergency' situation but we should def consider improving this process for the future. im sure outrage is unavoidable but this one just went through too quick imo

Yeah I wanna make it clear I would never knowingly make a huge change without everyone in agreement first, I really just thought this was a tiny change
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Mario
i don't think someone has to read a post to like it. hell people reply to posts without reading them all the time, so it's not a stretch. xgoff can have his own qualifications for what he thinks makes a good post and i don't think we have any right to question it
Spritanium
Yeah I get that but isn't it too much at some point? I know it makes things less fun for me when I'm earning points out of nowhere.
Spritanium
Again I understand that, but for a few days I was up 5 more levels each time I visited and it got old after awhile. I don't feel like having so much ex you don't know what to do with it is a good thing
rtsmarty
(Jan 14, 2017 at 11:51 PM)Super Mario Wrote: (one of which I'm not even sure what his opinion was lol)
sorry
Mario
(Jan 14, 2017 at 11:58 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Yeah I get that but isn't it too much at some point? I know it makes things less fun for me when I'm earning points out of nowhere.

(Jan 15, 2017 at 12:04 AM)Spritanium Wrote: Again I understand that, but for a few days I was up 5 more levels each time I visited and it got old after awhile. I don't feel like having so much ex you don't know what to do with it is a good thing

I only have a vague idea of where my ex is coming from most of the time, and I'm probably not the only member in that boat. I don't think that's a problem. I personally wouldn't go through a log of where all my ex is coming from. As the guy who builds the place that might be more interesting data for you though. I'm sure others are interested in the log too.

I agree having too much ex isn't a great thing. I don't know what the solution is, but I don't think it's to nerf ex gain. Personally I think a smaller cap would be good but it wouldn't be a good idea to change the cap now. It's a different discussion to be had, for sure.

For the Xgoff problem I see the following solutions:

- Revert things to the way they were. I'm sure most people would be happy with this, but maybe we should make a thread specifically asking this question.
- Keep things how they are. I think it's kind of weird for good sh*t and reactions to have a different behaviour without it being clear though, so I think the following solution would be good:
- If we decide that old posts should be treated more of an archive than Active in the metagame, then we should disable good sh*t/reactions/spells on all posts in threads that haven't been posted in for over a month. Exceptions can be made for FRAME THAT SH*T posts or posts with some other reason.
- Ban xgoff from reactions/good sh*ts. Sine the 'problem' is xgoff specifically, the solution should probably be xgoff specific. But I don't like this because it opens a can of worms where we're suddenly deciding who has a valid reason to good sh*t/react. That'll go down a scary path!

If anyone has any other suggestions feel free to add them!

Spritanium
For now I'm just changing it back to how it was because apparently nobody had a problem apart from draku and myself
Mario
and another note, Spritey your arguing style makes it seem like you're pretty inconsiderate of members who don't share your vision. I believe you do take feedback into consideration, but as long as you're going to argue the way you do then you can expect threads to blow up like this. (which personally I don't have a problem with, quickly exploding threads like this can be fun but not everyone feels the same way)

It's important to realize that as the Face that Builds The Place your ideas of how the place should work are always going to be clouded by specific biases that no one else has. It's not that your ideas are invalid or bad, in fact you have a lot of good ideas, but when changes explode like this it's a good thing we can discuss this kind of stuff. It's pretty similar to when mods/admins change rules or how things are enforced suddenly and members are dissatisfied
Mario
the problem with ex being too common is that spells become less valuable imo. i like it better when people cast spells more strategically than just on a whim. but spells are fun and I can understand why people don't feel the same way. i think the too much ex problem is always going to happen if we have a high cap, doesn't matter if xgoff is doing something silly or not
Mario
we're all fucked when xgoff goes through every post and ungoodsh*ts everything though
Draku
i was absent for this discussion but i did want to pop in and say i'm actually fine with either way because i acknowledged it as xgoff's playstyle, but i agree that it is odd to have EX come out of nowhere and thus was also fine with the change spritey presented.

if the general memberbase wants xgoff's phantom sh*ts to continue, i don't think it's my call to say no
Draku
however i will say that we could theoretically take what mario is saying and use it with the season system.

posts older than the current season would be good sh*t and reaction locked, perhaps with something hilarious like a sepia tone tinge. i think this would make a decent amount of sense.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
kaZaam
the thing abt Good Sh*t is it only gets better with age
kaZaam
hey can i be in charge of good sh8ts like pud is w smileys so you guys can stop ruining them all the time?? like idk why sprite's trying to call me out like a hypocrite because i don't want good sh*ts devalued as opposed to that other time i didn't want good sh*ts devalued lmao
(Jan 15, 2017 at 12:39 AM)Super Mario Wrote: and another note, Spritey your arguing style makes it seem like you're pretty inconsiderate of members who don't share your vision. I believe you do take feedback into consideration, but as long as you're going to argue the way you do then you can expect threads to blow up like this. (which personally I don't have a problem with, quickly exploding threads like this can be fun but not everyone feels the same way)

It's important to realize that as the Face that Builds The Place your ideas of how the place should work are always going to be clouded by specific biases that no one else has. It's not that your ideas are invalid or bad, in fact you have a lot of good ideas, but when changes explode like this it's a good thing we can discuss this kind of stuff. It's pretty similar to when mods/admins change rules or how things are enforced suddenly and members are dissatisfied
DAMN STR8

i mean im glad this is Resolved but like idk mayb itd be best if shit like this nevr happened in the first place? like mayb the devs of this forum should mayb dev for the community that sustains the forum to begin with? w/e tho lol im used to just being ignored at this point
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
Spritanium
Well like I said t never even occurred to me that this would be a controversial change. I thought it made sense and was a quick way to solve a clear issue. If we put every suggestion through a fine tooth comb before trying it out nothing would ever get done. Sometimes just putting an idea out into the wild is the best way to get necessary feedback
Fun With Despair
elect me as head of metagame balance and we will never have another issue

speaking of which weren't there brief talks about a balancing team so this shit didn't fucking spiral out of control and piss everyone off

oh boy sure would be nice if something could have maybe held a vote on the matter huh
Spritanium
And say what you will about threads like this but when they're going on activity is never higher Hmm...
Fun With Despair
yeah true enough

let the butthurt blossom, I suppose
Spritanium
There is a balancing team, it's called slack and anyone is welcome to come by and contribute ideas. For some reason only like 5 people do so

Thread Tags

update patch