Gabe Newell
Whoa nelly! Judging by the response to yesterday's patch, our players really don't like it when you mess with their exorbitant EX gains. Not a problem, after some backlash the code was quickly restored to its former state. Unfortunately, sometimes even slight adjustments to the Metagame can result in Saltslinging, but I promise we will do our best to make sure the community is listened to. Complain about a change enough and it'll be changed back Wink

Some players are still blowing off steam in the Xgoff thread, but let's try to look toward the future now! Steps are currently being taken to make the Minus World Slack (where intricate development-related decisions are made) more accessible to those who feel their voice isn't being heard. If you've heard about Slack being an exclusive club, it's not! Just head on down and request an invite and you'll be allowed in, no questions asked. If you're wondering why we developers use Slack instead of handling everything on MInus World itself, it's because we're constantly sharing code snippets and starring quick ideas to get back to later. It's an incredibly streamlined system and it allows us to bring updates to you at an unprecedented pace. Bigger feature changes will always be discussed on the forum itself before being implemented, and we will be sure to adjust our understanding of what constitutes a "big change" moving forward!

I'm told that Mario Fan Games Galaxy, the board from which our Minus World was birthed, has always had a staff-only forum for development-related discussions like this. Our staff forum is mainly used to test Spells and Items, so in other words, even though a lot of planning happens offsite, you (the regular user) actually have much more freedom to influence the forum than ever before! We understand it can be inconvenient to sign up for another chat platform in order to influence Minus World on a fundamental level, but we hope you can see the benefits to this process, and we definitely want to make sure you'll be able to experience said benefits firsthand.

Now that that's out of the way, let's get on to today's update! From now on, every single time you gain or spend EX, it will be added to a simple log accessible right here! This way you can be sure where all your EX is coming from, even if it's coming from a post you forgot about long ago. This log is also accessible via the third button on your welcome block, right under the link to your Inventory. Very cool!

There are still issues presented by the recent massive amount of Good Sh*t clicks. For example, if someone were to give you 1,000 Good Sh*ts, they could just as easily take all those Good Sh*ts away, taking your EX in the process. Worse yet, if your Rally is higher when all those Good Sh*ts are taken away than it was when they were received, you could end up losing absolutely absurd amounts of EX out of nowhere! To combat this, we are currently working on a smarter solution that won't ever limit your ability to fairly give each other EX via the Good Sh*t button. Once this new fix is implemented, all EX earned from Good Sh*ts and reactions will be permanent. In other words, if you click the Good Sh*t button you will award the receiver 5 EX, but if you then unclick the button, no EX will be removed. As such, any subsequent clicks to the button will not reward any extra EX, since the user was already rewarded on the first click. This fix will legitimize ALL Good Sh*t clicks, regardless of their reason for existing, and simultaneously prevent any exploitation of the feature.

Again, we apologize for the mix-up yesterday, and we hope this new proposition will be more agreeable. Happy Sh*tting!
Yrrzy
(Jan 15, 2017 at 6:03 PM)Gabe Newell Wrote: In other words, if you click the Good Sh*t button you will award the receiver 5 EX, but if you then unclick the button, no EX will be removed. As such, any subsequent clicks to the button will not reward any extra EX, since the user was already rewarded on the first click.

100% fix/rework Stick Around if this is the case since it destroys the Disingenuous Sh*t strat
Shroomguy
Finally I can see where all the sh*t comes from
The Beef Baron
Spritanium
(Jan 15, 2017 at 6:26 PM)Yrr Wrote:
(Jan 15, 2017 at 6:03 PM)Gabe Newell Wrote: In other words, if you click the Good Sh*t button you will award the receiver 5 EX, but if you then unclick the button, no EX will be removed. As such, any subsequent clicks to the button will not reward any extra EX, since the user was already rewarded on the first click.

100% fix/rework Stick Around if this is the case since it destroys the Disingenuous Sh*t strat
You can leave a reaction to dismiss the effect now, which only leaves 1 EX. The way I see it, if you leave a negative reaction it's still disingenuous but everyone wins a little

Though I guess if people still have a problem with that then we'll need to add a Bad Sh*t button after all, but I really like the way it's working now personally.
Spritanium
Actually we should just literally add a Disingenuous Sh*t button to SA posts

I don't think it's unreasonable for people to dismiss the effect without giving EX, I mean it doesn't bother me but being forced to click the actual GS button didn't bother me either

EDIT: We could also do something that was planned a long time ago and separate the reactions between good/bad, so good reactions reward 1 EX and bad ones do nothing. Then you could leave a negative reaction and dismiss the effect without leaving any EX, even a tiny amount.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Agastya
i had no idea about reactions actually, if the stick around button could also point to the reaction add button (or to whatever the first reaction is) to make it more obvious that'd be great
BIRDS ACTIVATED
🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦
Mario
I think most people are fine with how stick around works if they know how it works, we just need a way to indicate it works the way it does now. Unfortunately changing something but having it look the same way doesn't lend itself to people realizing it functions differently- even if we announce a change people can miss that.

I don't mind the perma-ex gain from reactions/good sh*ts but it does mean I can't browse on iOS without giving people random ex then lol
Spritanium
I updated the stick around description this morning to make it clear you can either Good shit or react to dismiss it
Mario
that's good for casters but what about people browsing threads
Spritanium
(Jan 15, 2017 at 6:59 PM)Super Mario Wrote: I don't mind the perma-ex gain from reactions/good sh*ts but it does mean I can't browse on iOS without giving people random ex then lol
Yeah that's pretty much the only issue. Maybe there should be a 5 minute time limit for removing the reaction AND ex
Spritanium
(Jan 15, 2017 at 7:01 PM)Super Mario Wrote: that's good for casters but what about people browsing threads
I don't really know how to make the arrow more clear without ruining the simplicity of the joke
Mario
me neither! but i'm sure someone can come up with something. I don't like the arrow on the other side idea either
Yrrzy
ftr i reacted to a post to dismiss it and it didnt work
Mario
yeah another advantage of changing the visual effect when we rework thngs is that we'll know if people have the latest version of it or not
Spritanium
(Jan 15, 2017 at 7:06 PM)Yrr Wrote: ftr i reacted to a post to dismiss it and it didnt work
I don't know WTF is up with the cache lately, I purged everything several times. It does work if you have the latest code
Mario
(Jan 15, 2017 at 7:04 PM)Spritanium Wrote:
(Jan 15, 2017 at 6:59 PM)Super Mario Wrote: I don't mind the perma-ex gain from reactions/good sh*ts but it does mean I can't browse on iOS without giving people random ex then lol
Yeah that's pretty much the only issue. Maybe there should be a 5 minute time limit for removing the reaction AND ex

you mean at all? Idk i tend to undo the random ones while browsing on my desktop much later when i notice them cuz i have no way to tell what posts get Random stuff. I think the current proposal works better than these things being locked in. but I can live with how it works either way
Yrrzy
i think a Bad Sh*t button is the ideal solution still
Mario
idk, I don't really want a member to experience Bad Sh*t because someone cast a spell on their post. That was something @"Miles Prower" brought up before, they felt strongly that the poster shouldn't be punished because someone cast a spell on their post. I feel like at that point it would become a salty spell and miss the point
Spritanium
@"Super Mario" nah I meant just the ex. Click a reaction, it gives 1ex. Unclick it, and if it's been less than 5 minutes since you clicked it, take away the ex. Otherwise leave the ex alone
Spritanium
I don't really like the Bad Sh*t button idea either, I'd be fine with calling the button something else (just a button that dismisses the effect) but I like the OP proposal coupled with how SA currently works best of all

Thread Tags

update