Unnamed 3d Platformer I'm making.

Cdiplayer
Greetings Minus World! Its been a while since I've posted on here, but I figured this was worth sharing. As many of you know, I've spent the last year or so making video games. I'm currently working on two, a sprite based RPG, and a 3d platformer.
Here's some concept art and 3d models from the platformer.
[Image: 15178080_1217249515011512_15983111189977...swqsll.jpg]
This is the first world. We're still working on a name, right now its just called "Forest World".
[Image: 16121836_10153987595421595_1443528264_o_zpsfkvagb47.png]
This is the second world. Again, we haven't come up with a name yet.
[Image: 91f64a8fe2.jpg]
Here's our main hero, I don't have a better picture of him at the moment since I'm not at home.
[Image: D995D45B63C03919315D487AB8E052D30B97DD31...ghn0m6.png] This little fellow is the hero's bat sidekick. He's one of 4 sidekicks in the game that you can use in order to gain new abilities. Think Kirby's Dreamland 3, that's how the sidekicks function.
[Image: 15909310_10153951892201595_1416670393_o_zpsol7u0hqr.png]
Here's the boss of the Ice World.
[Image: ab55d97a9c.jpg]
This is the boss room for the world 5 boss.
[Image: 14393803_10153666540291595_777953480_o_zpsnfd62jme.jpeg]
And now for some more concept art. There's tons of concept art and I probably won't post it all, but these characters act as npcs and/or enemies in the game.
[Image: 15870714_10153951898681595_1445952890_n_zpsxo8ssfod.png]
This is pretty straight forward.
[Image: 14360245_10153666539831595_525005667_o_zpsdstp5ypa.jpeg]
These are more npcs and bosses.
If you all want me to post more concept art and models let me know. We're going to have a demo ready at the end of next month probably, so if you're interested in playing it let me know, we can always use more testers.
Pea
the world design feels a little rayman-esque. did you draw inspiration from that series?
Cdiplayer
(Jan 19, 2017 at 4:48 AM)🅿️️ Wrote: the world design feels a little rayman-esque. did you draw inspiration from that series?
Yes, I would say I drew inspiration from three series, Rayman, Banjo Kazooie, and Sonic the Hedgehog.
T-man
Hot damn, this is some impressive work! I'd love to try it.
kaZaam
holy shit this looks cool. tote into it
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
Demonlemon
looks really cool
If life gives you lemons... RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!
[Image: nYwGTpS.png] [Image: 3fIS5XJ.gif]
Reference Humanoid reference Photobucket has sold out, so just take my word
on it that I have every pic anyone ever made for me, lovingly saved on 3 separate
harddrives
Two_Finger
pretty solid design so far
Syaxamaphone
I like the character designs but I feel like the models don't capture the cuteness as well as the drawings do.

I do like that collar bat though. That's a cute bat!
[Image: NZRK1uk.gif]
Elyk
Looks good.

Is everything in the opening post done by you or a collaboration from the team? What is your role? Do you have links to games you've made in the past?
Cdiplayer
(Jan 27, 2017 at 9:31 AM)Elyk Wrote: Looks good.

Is everything in the opening post done by you or a collaboration from the team? What is your role? Do you have links to games you've made in the past?

I'm working with a team 7 people, not including myself. We have 3 3d modelers, 1 concept artist, 1 music composer, 1 programmer, and 1 project manager. I am the lead level designer as well as the writer and project lead. Most of what I do at this stage is provide rough sketches of what I want done, and then the concept artist takes those sketches and fleshes them out. Then I sketch out levels and hand those to the programmer once he has the level assets in hand. The only other game we've made is Ouroboros Vandaleria, which is the sprite based RPG I mentioned that is still in development. Once we get farther along I'll probably make a topic for that game as well.
Anyway, thanks everyone for all the kind words!
Here's some more 3d models that have just been completed.
[Image: 16196954_10153990884256595_67959264_o_zps2m7vpo0z.png]
First we have the boss for the factory world, he's the boss you fight in the boss arena I posted earlier.
[Image: 16357277_10154014149161595_604225602_o_zpsgz8loxat.png]
This guy is an npc in the game, his role is currently undefined as we're actually going through a major gameplay shift right now. Initially, we wanted to make a linear 3d platformer, but we weren't able to make the gameplay interesting, so now we're shifting to a sandbox 3d platformer with a hub world and such.
T-man
(Jan 27, 2017 at 3:41 PM)Cdiplayer Wrote: Initially, we wanted to make a linear 3d platformer, but we weren't able to make the gameplay interesting, so now we're shifting to a sandbox 3d platformer with a hub world and such.
I don't mean to seem overly cynical but if you couldn't make the gameplay for a linear 3D platformer interesting, what makes you think you'll have any better luck in a more open format? In any case, you gotta remember that the absolute 100% most important thing about any 3D sandbox platformer is that it needs to feel good to play. Not even just good, it needs to feel great to play. You need lots of moves that experienced players can string together so they can effortlessly traverse the terrain.
Cdiplayer
(Jan 27, 2017 at 4:02 PM)T-man Wrote:
(Jan 27, 2017 at 3:41 PM)Cdiplayer Wrote: Initially, we wanted to make a linear 3d platformer, but we weren't able to make the gameplay interesting, so now we're shifting to a sandbox 3d platformer with a hub world and such.
I don't mean to seem overly cynical but if you couldn't make the gameplay for a linear 3D platformer interesting, what makes you think you'll have any better luck in a more open format? In any case, you gotta remember that the absolute 100% most important thing about any 3D sandbox platformer is that it needs to feel good to play. Not even just good, it needs to feel great to play. You need lots of moves that experienced players can string together so they can effortlessly traverse the terrain.
Well, let me rephrase, we originally wanted to make a modern Sonic Xtreme, but we couldn't really make the fisheye lens idea work well with the gameplay, so we decided to make a sandbox platformer instead, because we all have more experience with playing and designing that kind of game. As for the moves, like I said, everything is still early on, but I am going to make sure that the movement is fluid. We're actually looking towards the Banjo Kazooie series for guidance in that area.
Syaxamaphone
If you want good examples of terrain traversal, play Sunshine. If you had something even half as fun to use as FLUDD, you'd be sitting pretty.

If you want a bad example, play DK64.

Donkey Kong more like Clunky Kong amirite?
[Image: NZRK1uk.gif]
T-man
(Jan 27, 2017 at 4:13 PM)Cdiplayer Wrote: Well, let me rephrase, we originally wanted to make a modern Sonic Xtreme,
This tells me everything I need to know. You were wise to change direction.
Cdiplayer
(Jan 27, 2017 at 4:15 PM)Syaxamaphone Wrote: If you want good examples of terrain traversal, play Sunshine. If you had something even half as fun to use as FLUDD, you'd be sitting pretty.

If you want a bad example, play DK64.

Donkey Kong more like Clunky Kong amirite?

Super Mario Sunshine is another great example. I also really love the hub world in that game.
Elyk
Even with the magic of Unity, a 3D platformer is going to be a ton of work for just one programmer. Are you all working full time on this?
Cdiplayer
(Jan 27, 2017 at 4:33 PM)Elyk Wrote: Even with the magic of Unity, a 3D platformer is going to be a ton of work for just one programmer. Are you all working full time on this?

Yep, we have another programmer working on the RPG though, so if we encounter trouble we can shift him over to help with this project.
Elyk
Sorry to keep asking you questions like this, but what is your time frame for this game? When do you guys plan on releasing?
Spritanium
I need to pay attention to this to see how it turns out. I've wanted to make a Unity platformer-rpg hybrid for years now, if this kind of project is possible for one developer then maybe I'll give it a shot.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Cdiplayer
(Jan 28, 2017 at 4:24 PM)Elyk Wrote: Sorry to keep asking you questions like this, but what is your time frame for this game? When do you guys plan on releasing?

Well, we're hoping to release by the end of the year. At the very least we want to have a playable demo ready for Denver Comic Con this year. They usually have a room at the convention specifically for local game developers to show off their work.