geno7
how are you enjoying it so far???? its still so weird to me that trigger is doing an anime that's so.... mature, i guess?? especially for something headed by yoh yoshinari. like it trades sugar rush action sequences for atmosphere and theyve managed to keep their pencils in their pockets with the fanservice. I guess it kinda reminds me of wings of honneamise in a weird way. it just leans to the total opposite edge of the spectrum than what they usually do, it seems more like something ghibli would do than trigger. on one hand I miss the crazy off-the-wall style but on the other hand seeing them do something so reserved is kinda refreshing.

either way i think it's neat so far. it's cool to see the world and characters more fleshed out. that last episode was good. akko can get kind of annoying admittedly, but i loved her psychotic determination to tame the broom and there were some really cool imaishi-style bits of animation during those shots.
[Image: fsMwICg.gif]
Draku
its ok

i feel like the episodes have been going a bit slow and are too predictable/episodic in scope so far, but we're not that far in i guess

im still enjoying it and the last ep's ending portion was fantastic, but they really did a number on akko from the OVAs. it's a bit hard to like her anymore with how they made her outright dumb instead of just excitable and heavily inexperienced. at least sucy is better than ever.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Syaxamaphone
I think broom race episode made her look a bit dumber than usual. She had her shit together in episode 2. Saved some cute moths n' everything.

But yes, I get where you're coming from with the episodic nature. They're really nice to watch so far, but the OVA's plots were much better I think.
[Image: NZRK1uk.gif]
geno7
akko was a lot less dumb and annoying in the OVAs, and a lot of times lotte and sucy dont even seem like they like hanging out with her which is what bothers me the most, but honestly i liked the broom episode because it centered her back at least a little less toward outright dumb and a little more towards determined and idealistic. but thats just what i see

the most recent episode was pleasant. not dramatically gripping or anything but just nice, and had some neat ideas

[Image: tumblr_okmll4aJKt1uq8vafo1_1280.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_okmll4aJKt1uq8vafo2_1280.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_okmll4aJKt1uq8vafo3_1280.jpg]

idk how to properly explain this but i love when works of fiction have a work of fiction within that work of fiction but only random out-of-context parts of that work of fiction are mentioned by the characters and theyre literally the most random insane things that you could never imagine fitting together
Syaxamaphone
I love the idea that the man giving his friend a shoehorn is the scene this one novel is most known for.
Draku
Holy shit what the fuck

The very first scene of episode 1 is insanely depressing now
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
ProtoTroid-13
I feel emotionally wrecked by that episode. Just holy hell that plot twist.
geno7
holy shit ikr that episode had such a fucking good reveal. im pissed that the show took this long to get good
CHESHIRE ☯
(Jan 24, 2017 at 8:36 PM)Greeno Wrote: how are you enjoying it so far???? its still so weird to me that trigger is doing an anime that's so.... mature, i guess?? especially for something headed by yoh yoshinari.

What you define as "mature" seems odd. LWA is a wonderful, whimsical show and is doing a great justice for the first 2 short films that preceded it.
But in terms of maturity, I'd say this is your stereotypical kids TV show.
I'm sure you and most didn't bother to watch it, but Trigger just came off of Kiznaiver as their last project. It rarely gets more mature than a show like that.
The Trigger gang seems to be staying true to their Gainax roots of bouncing back and forth between "serious, budget killing anime" and "silly and fun low-cost serial anime".
LWA is interesting in that it's the first show in a long time to blur the line and make a silly and fun serial show with a fairly high budget. The visual motifs and fun animation are far more impressive than the storytelling and thematic presence this show has.

That said, it's been hit with the same quality fluctuations that Kill la Kill suffered from, sans the use of 3D models on occasion in Kill la Kill.
There is a lot of padding in LWA to make the serial quota functional for two seasons, and while the production team has been very clever with how they've kept it engaging and fun, the overall series themes slog and suffer for the first half of the series. I'm sure they're saving a separate budget for the finale, as Imaishi and Yoshinari will always stay true to form in that regard.

The show is strong for what it aims to accomplish, but it's not presenting anything profound. It's just an enjoyable ride.
geno7
(Jun 7, 2017 at 2:04 PM)Cheshire ♮ Wrote:
But in terms of maturity, I'd say this is your stereotypical kids TV show. .
that's sorta what im getting at, i guess mature is a weird way to word it. most of trigger and by extension gainax's other works are just like "WOAH BOOBS AND EXPLOSIONS ALL OVER THE SCREEN EVERY SECOND" and mainly aimed at teens to adults but little witch is not only much slower and more atmospheric but it's something that a little kid could easily watch. i mean obviously i love trigger and gainax and "BOOBS AND EXPLOSIONS" is a crass overgeneralization but like just comparatively this show seems much more like a ghibli show than a trigger show.

also I liked Kiznaiver but again it was more a show for teens to adults. little witch feels like the first show they've made that little kids could comfortably watch, which seems so out of character for them. yoh yoshinari mentioned in an interview with egoraptor that he'd always been assigned all these dark gritty projects but from the beginning he'd always wanted to work on a happier, more upbeat show. and it makes sense that lwa is the way it is now that he's finally able to take the reigns.
Poxni
well, that's a neat twist

anyway I'm enjoying LWA so far, finally just caught up to 22 lol

It's not a show that's the sum of its parts, it's moreso how you look at each part? That's what I see about it, so far at least. If that all makes sense.
[Image: xPhNzA9.jpg]
CHESHIRE ☯
(Jun 8, 2017 at 2:36 PM)Greeno Wrote:
(Jun 7, 2017 at 2:04 PM)Cheshire ♮ Wrote:
But in terms of maturity, I'd say this is your stereotypical kids TV show. .
that's sorta what im getting at, i guess mature is a weird way to word it. most of trigger and by extension gainax's other works are just like "WOAH BOOBS AND EXPLOSIONS ALL OVER THE SCREEN EVERY SECOND" and mainly aimed at teens to adults but little witch is not only much slower and more atmospheric but it's something that a little kid could easily watch. i mean obviously i love trigger and gainax and "BOOBS AND EXPLOSIONS" is a crass overgeneralization but like just comparatively this show seems much more like a ghibli show than a trigger show.

also I liked Kiznaiver but again it was more a show for teens to adults. little witch feels like the first show they've made that little kids could comfortably watch, which seems so out of character for them. yoh yoshinari mentioned in an interview with egoraptor that he'd always been assigned all these dark gritty projects but from the beginning he'd always wanted to work on a happier, more upbeat show. and it makes sense that lwa is the way it is now that he's finally able to take the reigns.

I see where you're coming from. I thought you meant mature you meant "mature content", which was deeply confusing to me since again, the beauty that is Kiznaïver. Since you mean it in that the show they're making doesn't have immature content and fanservice plastered everywhere, I most definitely agree with you. I always knew the studio was capable of making a great series without all of the silly gainaxing and such, they just needed a competent story to play with.

I do think there is value in the portrayal of a lot of their crass humor like PSG and Kill la Kill had, since it bastardizes the idea and pushes the boundaries of what is overtly lewd, and what is inappropriate to animate in a correct way, marrying it with both social critique and valuable theming. But it's refreshing to have such high quality animators just making a more innocent show.

It's sad though. Shows like Kiznaiver and Terror in Resonance (MAPPA), which really don't have any fanservice in them to play off of but are blissfully strong in their social commentary and their statements on the current world state (and BEAUTIFULLY animated) are drowned and lost in the sea of endless moe-blobs and tiddy bounces and loli bullshit.
EH2
That. Fucking. Twist. Oh my god.

This is definitely more to be seen, because this stinks really bad of Croix reframing the truth and Chariot being too ashamed to try to defend herself. The entire thing about DFS seems fishy, and there are a lot of details missing.

But oh well, I guess this is gonna tie in with what Diana predicted at the beginning of the show - Akko would depart from Luna Nova. Though, I guess Diana would be the perfect character to step in - she WAS a DFS victim after all.
CHESHIRE ☯
(Jun 10, 2017 at 3:43 AM)EH2 Wrote: That. Fucking. Twist. Oh my god.

This is definitely more to be seen, because this stinks really bad of Croix reframing the truth and Chariot being too ashamed to try to defend herself. The entire thing about DFS seems fishy, and there are a lot of details missing.

But oh well, I guess this is gonna tie in with what Diana predicted at the beginning of the show - Akko would depart from Luna Nova. Though, I guess Diana would be the perfect character to step in - she WAS a DFS victim after all.

This is what excites me most. I have high expectations that Akko and Diana are going to come together and become the savior duo that Chariot and Croix wished they could have been in their younger years.
ProtoTroid-13
(Jun 10, 2017 at 11:35 PM)Cheshire ♮ Wrote:
(Jun 10, 2017 at 3:43 AM)EH2 Wrote: That. Fucking. Twist. Oh my god.

This is what excites me most. I have high expectations that Akko and Diana are going to come together and become the savior duo that Chariot and Croix wished they could have been in their younger years.
That's looking very likely after this episode.

Spoiler:
Syaxamaphone
I didn't really have high hopes for the finale until the most recent episode.

Spoiler: