Spritanium
(Jul 11, 2016 at 4:04 PM)Saltonara Wrote: Personally I prefer a small space with a lot to explore and little linearity rather than a "larger" extremely linear space with little (if anything) to explore when it comes to this specific "series" of games.

Absolutely. I'm actually curious to find out if anyone *doesn't* feel this way. Everyone I've ever asked says that for 3D Mario games, they prefer the semi-open exploration format, but of course Nintendo can't get over the whole "whooooa we're putting things from 2D games in 3D games now!!!" thing

The second I saw this shit:
[Image: 28.jpg]

That's when I knew they had officially missed the point. A one-block-thick set of stairs leading up to a flagpole makes sense in 2D. In 3D it's certifiably insane.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Saltonara
To be entirely honest, I liked 3D Land and World. But the thing is they don't feel like they belong to the "64 series" to me. They feel like entirely different games. Galaxy, on the other hand, does fit in that category. Unfortunately I found Galaxy to be pretty boring and I had to force myself to actually play through it.
Poxni
Spoiler:
[Image: xPhNzA9.jpg]
Spritanium
3D Land and 3D World are both fun games, don't get me wrong

They just feel incredibly fake, formulaic, uninspired, and unfinished, which is why I tend to group them more with the NSMB series. I still don't even know if they're supposed to be main series titles, which is a problem. On Land it was excusable considering the platform, but 3D World was maybe 6 months away from being charming and entertaining rather than just generically enjoyable.

You know what I want? A bad Mario game. Whenever one of those comes out I seem to love it. Maybe my idea of what the series should be is different from most other people.
Spritanium
And maybe it's the world map, maybe it's the linearity, but to this day I'd rather play SM64 than one of the newer titles. That game has aged horrendously, but it still feels like a real adventure rather than a tech demo
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Saltonara
Personally I don't feel as though SM64 has aged horribly in terms of gameplay. Graphics (even for an N64 game), sure. Engine structure, most definitely. It definitely feels like one of the glitchiest Mario games ever, although I feel that it only comes off that way because it's been played so god damn much by everyone that numerous glitches end up surfacing because of all the different ways people experiment with the game. Don't get me wrong though, a good portion of these glitches are funny and/or memorable (although the amount of effort needed to find some of them comes off as being kinda pathetic honestly, like that alternate universe one everyone was making fun of some time ago).

But still, I don't feel like it's aged horribly in the most "important" parts. That's why they were able to remake it as a DS game (albeit with more content and a lot of the issues (in numerous aspects) fixed) and have it be considered a great and thoroughly enjoyable game.
Draku
SM64 is a fantastic game. The level design is brilliant and the nonlinear nature of stages is really lovely and fun to both play with and explore. It was a marvel approach to the issue of trying to adapt the idea of platformers to a 3D world (heh) and did an impeccable job, especially for the time. Sunshine and Galaxy attempted to break out of this more and more and I think they suffer heavily for it, because they can't really decide if they want to be linear 2D Mario-likes with some mission aspects or take after SM64 instead. SM64 is no bullshit and one pure experience in the direction it wanted to take. You're not railroaded, almost all stars can be obtained out of any given picked mission outside of a few per stage whereas with Sunshine and Galaxy you'd be gated off and had the level changed upon you entirely while still trying to pretend you have that same choice you used to have.

SM3DW is also an incredibly good game. It takes the opposite approach to adapting platformers to 3D by taking the elements of the classic Mario games and putting a 3D spin on them, with linear level design that abides by what is more widely recognized as "Mario". It's not as unique as SM64, but it does what it sets out to do extremely well itself because it too is not conflicted on what it wants to be unlike Sunshine and Galaxy. There is no illusion of exploration, but there doesn't need to be.

3D Land is a piece of shit.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Mario
[deleted]
kaZaam
yea the 3d land/world/fuckoff games are Fun but like that's it. theyre never particularly engaging. mario 64's still p fucken magical just based off it's level design and music, also personally have a thing for that early 3d surrealism even if it's unintentional.

and yea i think kesh just hit the nail on the head on why ive never liked galaxy too much. it's like rather than make the levels actually explorative and enjoyable they just make it FEEL that way with that whole Woahh You're In Space gimmick but it feels kinda hollow. like wow it's just uninspired normal mario gameplay except the powerups last five seconds and i go upside down sometimes. idk why nintendo thought people wanted either. like Galaxy and 64 are perfect metaphs for style v substance
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
Mario
[deleted]
kaZaam
whats w the random unfitting floating wood block motif too? i see it a lot in 3dland. like yea it was kinda cool and surreal in those weird bonus maps in sunshine but really just seems like a copout for actual level theming
kaZaam
like the only cool 3dland levels as far as theming goes were that clock one and the couple snow ones just cause i like snow levels i guess. otherwise it just seemed like random reused sunshine/galaxy assets. oh and really obnoxious nods to the first and third one
Mario
[deleted]
Mario
[deleted]
Mario
[deleted]
kaZaam
shit that level looked p cool in the trailer. idk never actually played the wiiu one cause like wtf the whole nsmb concept works ok as a handheld game but there's so not enough there for a $60 modern console game. like just play mario bros x or something if you want more mario (in levels that are actually engaging/challenging & also free ffs.) like why pay at all for mario 3/world retreads with way worse design philosophy? fuckit
kaZaam
yea that one
Mario
[deleted]
kaZaam
yeah so maB they should just stop making mario games. i dont think they actually wanna do it anymore
Two_Finger
(Jul 12, 2016 at 4:51 AM)Kazaam Wrote: whats w the random unfitting floating wood block motif too? i see it a lot in 3dland. like yea it was kinda cool and surreal in those weird bonus maps in sunshine but really just seems like a copout for actual level theming

the wood blocks are from smb3
the one that's "a stage play"