Pedigree
You know what else I hate about video games? The elitist nerds who play them and their opinions.
Fun With Despair
(Mar 9, 2017 at 2:54 AM)Pedigree Wrote: You know what else I hate about video games? The elitist nerds who play them and their opinions.
dude, that kind of self-deprecation is never okay, you should see a therapist
Spritanium
I thought of another shit I hate about video games

When you can only have one save file even though it's 2017 and you can store the entire works of Shakespeare in a sperm molecule
Spritanium
What about when games try to have a "retro" style but actually the artists just didn't know how to draw

Sprites looked like shit in the 80s because you had to draw them on graph paper and then program the positioning of the pixels, if you can't do anything better on a modern computer then fuck you hire a graphic artist
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Aidan
(Mar 9, 2017 at 5:13 AM)Spritanium Wrote: What about when games try to have a "retro" style but actually the artists just didn't know how to draw

related: trying to have a pixel art style but the pixels aren't consistently sized
[Image: rA4rnyU.png]
fuck
Fun With Despair
(Mar 9, 2017 at 5:11 AM)Spritanium Wrote: I thought of another shit I hate about video games

When you can only have one save file even though it's 2017 and you can store the entire works of Shakespeare in a sperm molecule
fuck I hate this too

The ONLY reason certain games (fucking pokemon) actually do this anymore is to get people to buy other copies of the game, and it's so fucking transparent too
Pedigree
(Mar 9, 2017 at 3:58 AM)Fun With Despair Wrote:
(Mar 9, 2017 at 2:54 AM)Pedigree Wrote: You know what else I hate about video games? The elitist nerds who play them and their opinions.
dude, that kind of self-deprecation is never okay, you should see a therapist

Joke's on you, my therapist and I are already at third base.
Yrrzy
(Mar 9, 2017 at 5:17 AM)BlasterMaster Wrote: related: trying to have a pixel art style but the pixels aren't consistently sized
[Image: rA4rnyU.png]
fuck

this and rotated pixels piss me off so much
kaZaam
if it has that parallax scrolling shit i think it might work ok
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
Spritanium
My problem is that it just looks bad to me

People know how to use mspaint but they don't know how to use inkscape, so they give their game a "retro style" which actually just means "comically low resolution sprites blown up to 1080p"

If developers had 1920x1080 pixels to work with in the 80s, video games would never have looked like they did. The point wasn't that blocky sprites look cool, it was that the resolution was tiny enough so that the blocky edges would blur and look sort of like smooth edges. We don't have to do this anymore

And I get the "retro" appeal, it makes games like Undertale and Crypt of the Necrodancer have a certain charm to them, but sooo many indie games have pixel graphics just because they're easier to make. Also, like I mentioned in the previous paragraph, the modern day "retro" look isn't how video games actually looked to a person playing them on a 30-year-old TV. If they looked like that, kids would've been all "what the fuck are these blocky edges" Shrug
Yrrzy
tbf if id wanted to learn how to make vector graphics i woulda done that instead of learning to make good pixelart

naturally in some cases its people not learning to do either and just using mspaint cause they already have it but yknow
Spritanium
I do understand the appeal of pixel art, mosaics have been around since at least the bronze age and pixel art is just an evolution of that. It can be fun to impose limits on yourself when making art, in fact most of the time working around inhibitions leads to a more creative and focused final product

That's why I'm bothered by games that use pixel art but scale and stretch it as if it wasn't pixel art. Rotating/scaling sprites just doesn't work; it was groundbreaking in Yoshi's Island I guess but it just looks gross. If someone needs rotation/scaling in their game then they shouldn't use pixel art in the first place
Yrrzy
Basically

but also in theme, remasters that look worse because they use Technically improved but worse art

ie Cave Story 3D, fuck that game

(altho even Cave Story+'s remastered pixelart bothered me)
Spritanium
Another shit I hate about video games: tutorials

If your game was designed properly the controls and general concepts could be learned intuitively
Yrrzy
tutorials are fine they just shouldnt be noticeable

i should learn the mechanics because the devs carefully introduced each one in an environment where i didnt realise i was learning
Pedigree
Optional-to-read hint signs are a great way to do tutorials imo.
Spritanium
(Mar 10, 2017 at 11:10 AM)🦌Yrr🦌 Wrote: tutorials are fine they just shouldnt be noticeable

i should learn the mechanics because the devs carefully introduced each one in an environment where i didnt realise i was learning

Yeah this is exactly what I meant, mechanics should be progressively introduced and intuitively understood before moving on to the next one

As opposed to "here's every possible thing you can do in this game, are you ready to start now??"
Spritanium
(Mar 10, 2017 at 4:40 PM)Pedigree Wrote: Optional-to-read hint signs are a great way to do tutorials imo.
Yeah I don't mind those, they're all over Super Mario World and I just ignore them
fucker5
(Mar 8, 2017 at 10:35 PM)(This Is Not) The Angels Wrote: Fake difficulty, like in dark souls.
still waiting for a bite on this one
Aidan
(Mar 11, 2017 at 3:06 AM)(This Is Not) The Angels Wrote:
(Mar 8, 2017 at 10:35 PM)(This Is Not) The Angels Wrote: Fake difficulty, like in dark souls.
still waiting for a bite on this one

everyone agrees