Give users the option to revoke a spell if it's been under 24 hours

Fun With Despair
With the common nature of workarounds like Autocorrect edits and self-quoting to get away from Outta Sight, along with occasional other fuck ups that end up with the mods getting contact to revoke a spell, why not make that an option? Additionally, this change may aid in getting rid of that fear of "wasting EX" that comes with some of these spells.

Why 24 hours? Well, it's simple.

1. It gives a reasonable window to take back the spell. If someone quotes themselves that same day a few hours later to bypass an Outta Sight and you don't happen to be home, it wouldn't be fair to just fuck the caster out of their EX like that. With this in place, casters get some leeway to notice if their spell has been messed with.

2. Even if the clever post editor waits until the end of the 24 period to mess with the Autocorrect on his post, it's still been 24 hours, and that Autocorrect has likely been noticed enough to warrant the EX thrown at it. Editing the post or quoting are still viable strategies, but now there are actual downsides to using them (loss of knockback, or potentially waiting it out and getting noticed anyway).

3. It's just simply easier on the staff. No more messages or threads asking to right a messed up spell. Now users can just do it themselves and save some tedium on the staff end.

I suppose you may get those who revoke all their spells right before 24 hours is up to hoard EX and still cast, but most people who cast do it for the permanent impact on the post, so I feel like this could be a decent change.
Draku
thats way too long of a period.

i could see extending the revoke period to maybe 30 minutes but even then idk. it's not exactly hard for the staff that can do it to revoke spells in freak circumstances and i'd like to say we're pretty good about being available for that
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Fun With Despair
(Mar 23, 2017 at 5:43 AM)Draku Wrote: thats way too long of a period.

i could see extending the revoke period to maybe 30 minutes but even then idk. it's not exactly hard for the staff that can do it to revoke spells in freak circumstances and i'd like to say we're pretty good about being available for that
I see where you're coming from but there really does need to be some kind of barrier preventing people from fucking with autocorrect and outta sight.

This has been an issue for a while and it only really got on my nerves recently when a user kept just quoting the shit I outta sighted
Pedigree
24 hours is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. The caster would be able to screw with a post and then take back the EX after the post is no longer relevant. In fact, there are some days where posts become irrelevant immediately, especially in hot topics.

You know what they say: without risk, there is no reward. And for some reason all of these suggestions are about making spells a no-risk vandalism tool and less about improving Minus World as a game (which is supposed to be the point of New MW).
Fun With Despair
(Mar 23, 2017 at 5:45 AM)Pedigree Wrote: 24 hours is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. The caster would be able to screw with a post and then take back the EX after the post is no longer relevant. In fact, there are some days where posts become irrelevant immediately, especially in hot topics.

You know what they say: without risk, there is no reward. And for some reason all of these suggestions are about making spells a no-risk vandalism tool and less about improving Minus World as a game (which is supposed to be the point of New MW).
But there is no reward as Autocorrect and Outta Sight are both useless spells on account of how nearly everyone just edits their fucking post or quotes it to bypass them.

Risk comes from potential retaliation, not from people just wasting a potential fuck ton of your EX through brainless shit
Draku
you could quote any post that's been salty spelled. it doesn't negate the spell, it's still there on the original post. though outta sight is very pricey, so it might be cool to do something like a massive cost reduction if used on multiple posts by the same user in succession.

also playing around autocorrect is part of the game. it's a very cheap spell, it's not meant to be super powerful.
Pedigree
Autocorrects automatically refund EX if the autocorrect is edited out, or it was supposed to. Last I checked, changing the context after an autocorrect is an approved counter and one you've even used on me.

As for Outta Sight, if you do make changes to make it "less useless" it needs to be more expensive because it is easily one of the most destructive spells from a readability standpoint.
Fun With Despair
Honestly my issue is more with outta sight than autocorrect.

I'll drop autocorrect discussion but man outta sight is in a really awful place right now.

Is there a way to make it turn to braille every time it's quoted too?

That would probably be the ideal. People can still quote and read it but if it's posted then it's the same thing as it appears to be on the original post. It works for autocorrect, should probably work here too.
Fun With Despair
(Mar 23, 2017 at 5:50 AM)Pedigree Wrote: Autocorrects automatically refund EX if the autocorrect is edited out, or it was supposed to. Last I checked, changing the context after an autocorrect is an approved counter and one you've even used on me.

As for Outta Sight, if you do make changes to make it "less useless" it needs to be more expensive because it is easily one of the most destructive spells from a readability standpoint.

I was referring to people editing out the Autocorrect. I didn't actually know it refunded.

That's my bad.
Pedigree
It doesn't work on autocorrected posts. I have to autocorrect the quotes too.
Fun With Despair
(Mar 23, 2017 at 5:53 AM)Pedigree Wrote: It doesn't work on autocorrected posts. I have to autocorrect the quotes too.
dammit now I feel even more like a fuckin idiot

still though in regards to outta sight it seems ridiculous to have such an expensive spell completely invalidated by the OP just quoting it.
Draku
If we made it work on quotes it'd be just as trivial for the original poster to go edit their post, select the text, and re-post it.

that's why i suggested the solution i did, where if someone posts multiple times in a row outta sight would have a cost reduction so you could pin down any working around it before someone else replies.
Fun With Despair
(Mar 23, 2017 at 6:01 AM)Draku Wrote: If we made it work on quotes it'd be just as trivial for the original poster to go edit their post, select the text, and re-post it.

that's why i suggested the solution i did, where if someone posts multiple times in a row outta sight would have a cost reduction so you could pin down any working around it before someone else replies.
Yeah thinking about it that probably is one of the better solutions overall.

Although someone could probably easily break the chain with a dupe, assuming dupes are counted as different users in this context.
Draku
good point, maybe it could fetch the user's id as well as all of their connected dupes' ids.
Fun With Despair
(Mar 23, 2017 at 6:08 AM)Draku Wrote: good point, maybe it could fetch the user's id as well as all of their connected dupes' ids.
This would be the best solution.
Beako
Not reading this thread but I agree because salt cam is way overpriced. This is due to the nerf where you can change your post to "please salt cam this post"

Thanks for pointing out this bug, @Pea
Pea
huh what huh
Beako
(Mar 23, 2017 at 9:46 PM)Pea Wrote: huh what huh

https://minus.world/showthread.php?tid=1952