Playtonic tells Jontron to fuck off

T-man
(Mar 24, 2017 at 4:03 PM)Pedigree Wrote:
(Mar 23, 2017 at 8:46 PM)T-man Wrote: NeoGAFers were grilling members of the Playtonic on Twitter about Jon still being in the game so they buckled.

Is there ever a time when NeoGAF users aren't absolute garbage?

Harassing a development team because guy who said things you don't like makes a cameo appearance in a game is a bit much.
Gaffers are annoying little insects but it wasn't harassment.

[Image: Fgkf1oe.jpg]

There may have been much more accusatory tweets by regular members, but I didn't go out of my way looking for shit. This screencap coincidentally captured the tweet from Rare alumni that fueled my suspicion that the Old Guard didn't really care about this. I feel like Jon's response to the whole situation was as cordial as it was because someone from Playtonic pulled him aside and said, "Hey man, it's nothing personal but we can't have this shit looming over our premiere title, we gotta cut you loose."
Spritanium
I wonder when famous people will start to learn that yes, you have free speech, and no, that doesn't mean you can say things that will predictably cause controversy and expect to keep your career intact
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Pedigree
I actually think the problem is that anyone puts them on a pedestal of responsibility and righteousness in the first place. It's okay to like the content someone produces and disagree with their personal views. If someone has a view you find objectionable, your first response shouldn't be "burn it down to the ground".

His political and social opinions have absolutely nothing to do with his content, and he certainly didn't try to pass it off as Jon Tron Show content... so I really don't agree with people who say that this should ruin his career. For real, it's not like the character he was voicing in the game was going to parrot his views so to pressure a company to remove someone because you don't like what they have to say is a bit much.

Meanwhile why aren't we using our pitchforks and torches on the media reporters who not only lie and cheat to get views from a MUCH WIDER audience but also often have worse views and pass it off as World News. IIRC there was a guy on the air who literally said shit like put gay people in gulags and people didn't give a shit. Not to mention, you know, the fact that the media is responsible for someone like Trump becoming POTUS in the first place (tbh it's pretty weird that Trump is so anti-media after they handed him the election).

I feel like people are fighting the wrong foes, maybe because it's easier to take down a YouTuber than it is to take down the media corporations. IDK, at this point I'm rambling. Shrug
T-man
(Mar 24, 2017 at 7:12 PM)Pedigree Wrote: I actually think the problem is that anyone puts them on a pedestal of responsibility and righteousness in the first place. It's okay to like the content someone produces and disagree with their personal views. If someone has a view you find objectionable, your first response shouldn't be "burn it down to the ground".
My favorite argument is "Think of the children who are being exposed to his views!"

First of all your punk ass kids shouldn't be watching Jontron. Age inappropriate content starts well before you even dive into the man himself.

Second of all, just as it's not the television's responsibility to protect your children, it's especially not some guy on YouTube's responsibility no matter how "famous" they are.

Parents need to wake the fuck up. My little cousin (He's 7 or 8 or something) evidently has free reign when it comes to YouTube and that's a massive fucking mistake I can't believe his parents are okay with. Kids aren't a fucking crockpot, you can't set 'em and forget 'em; If that's what your parenting playbook looks like you have a lot of fucking nerve blaming anyone but yourself for the shit your kids pick up.
Briraka
(Mar 24, 2017 at 7:26 PM)T-man Wrote: My favorite argument is "Think of the children who are being exposed to his views!"

First of all your punk ass kids shouldn't be watching Jontron. Age inappropriate content starts well before you even dive into the man himself.

Second of all, just as it's not the television's responsibility to protect your children, it's especially not some guy on YouTube's responsibility no matter how "famous" they are.

Parents need to wake the fuck up. My little cousin (He's 7 or 8 or something) evidently has free reign when it comes to YouTube and that's a massive fucking mistake I can't believe his parents are okay with. Kids aren't a fucking crockpot, you can't set 'em and forget 'em; If that's what your parenting playbook looks like you have a lot of fucking nerve blaming anyone but yourself for the shit your kids pick up.

"THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" is a fucking garbage rhetorical tactic that's used in an attempt to end discussion by invoking an unanswerable argument. i mean, like what? am i supposed to say "man, FUCK the children!"? even though i would, but that's not ~socially acceptable~
Beako
(Mar 24, 2017 at 8:13 PM)Briraka Wrote:
(Mar 24, 2017 at 7:26 PM)T-man Wrote: My favorite argument is "Think of the children who are being exposed to his views!"

"THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" is a fucking garbage rhetorical tactic that's used in an attempt to end discussion by invoking an unanswerable argument. i mean, like what? am i supposed to say "man, FUCK the children!"? even though i would, but that's not ~socially acceptable~
Agreed. And whenever someone tells me to "think about the children" I always respond "oh I 'think about' children alright, don't you worry~"
Elyk
How can you really even tell voices in this game anyways? They're all cut up and just garbled over the text. I think the only way you could have known it was even JonTron was if there was a character that just spoke in ECHs.
Draku
(Mar 25, 2017 at 7:09 PM)Elyk Wrote: How can you really even tell voices in this game anyways? They're all cut up and just garbled over the text. I think the only way you could have known it was even JonTron was if there was a character that just spoke in ECHs.
>YFW THIS WAS HOW IT WAS AND THEY CUT IT OUT
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
(Mar 25, 2017 at 7:12 PM)Draku Wrote:
(Mar 25, 2017 at 7:09 PM)Elyk Wrote: How can you really even tell voices in this game anyways? They're all cut up and just garbled over the text. I think the only way you could have known it was even JonTron was if there was a character that just spoke in ECHs.
>YFW THIS WAS HOW IT WAS AND THEY CUT IT OUT
[Image: RLqHJe0.png]

it could've been great
Pedigree
omg that might've been my favorite character in the game if so
Elyk
(Mar 25, 2017 at 8:21 PM)Pedigree Wrote: omg that might've been my favorite character in the game if so

You might be a white supremacist then.
Sponge
Playtonic did the right thing booting Jon off the game. Jontron apologists and Youtube comments have made me sick to my stomach.
Beako
damn those pesky iranian white supremacists
Pib
i feel like the people who can ignore someone's stupid opinions and enjoy the content they put out is a minority that i happen to be a part of
this post brought to you by pib
Yoshi2
(Mar 26, 2017 at 11:54 AM)Pib Wrote: i feel like the people who can ignore someone's stupid opinions and enjoy the content they put out is a minority that i happen to be a part of

implying jontron puts out content that i enjoy

There has been a lot of movie Jontrons in recent times. Of course he's free to do whatever he wants but I enjoyed the Jontrons that were about video games much more.
T-man
(Mar 26, 2017 at 1:09 PM)Yoshi2 Wrote: There has been a lot of movie Jontrons in recent times. Of course he's free to do whatever he wants but I enjoyed the Jontrons that were about video games much more.
I also liked JonTron a lot more when it wasn't such a large production. The effects used to be much crappier and that somehow strengthened the jokes for me. My favorite will always be his dramatization of Miyamoto turning Dinosaur Planet into Starfox Adventures. (3:20)

T-man
lol

[Image: C7zjN6kU8AAjSQG.jpg:large]
Briraka
playtonic should make a WW2 themed world as dlc because of that.
Pedigree
User-defined tags is the DUMBEST feature you could ever have in a store
Briraka
(Mar 27, 2017 at 1:02 AM)Puddin Wrote: That's the boat I'm in too.

Well, sort of. Jontron actually did say some really shitty things (IIRC he believes in fake race/IQ/crime correlation and tried to back up his bullshit with fake statistics from /pol/) but in my opinion Jontron is pitiful and ignorant for having those views, not despicable and worthy of deplatformation as a comedian.

I enjoy his video game and movie comedy videos, but I disavow his political views. If he starts sharing his political views in his comedy videos then I'm unsubbing. Currently his comedy videos are non-political, and he's keeping his Twitter shitposting and despicable interviews with disgusting people such as Sargon of Akkad separate from them, so I see no reason to boycott his content. I think his videos are funny; I just disagree with him politically. What he does in his personal life is his business, as far as I'm concerned. I just hope he comes across someone rational (or takes the time to read a non biased political book if he can't keep his mouth shut) and stops drinking the /pol/ Kool-Aid. Because I think he's a nice guy; just a bit brainwashed.

Boy I sure love video games.

as someone who unsubbed in protest of his political opinions, i like the rationale behind this opposing viewpoint.Thumbs Up