EH2
Unpopular opinion:

I dislike the art style of both versions

When put side by side like that all I can tell is that while the new version does look bland and generic, the original looks dated and amateurish
Spritanium

> amateurish

You forgot to have the correct opinion
[Image: supercorrect.png]
EH2
no really spritey

it worries me that I've seen fangamers do better graphics than the official ones from the GBA game
Spritanium
"Better" is totally subjective though and I think pretty much everyone else disagrees
Spritanium
Also find me a fangame from 2003 with better graphics

I've noticed that the average quality of pixel art increases pretty consistently over the years
Spritanium
Granted I don't think MLSS has the best graphics in the series; that would be BiS. That was the perfected version of the M+L visual style before they decided to change to the weird 2.5D-but-trying-to-look-prerendered thing

Seriously it just makes less and less sense the more I think about it. They should've gone with cel-shaded full 3D characters instead. The anti-aliased black outline is what makes the style work.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Mario
I wouldn't say the original looks dated, it looks perfectly fine on a GBA. Obviously comparing it to graphics from devices with higher resolutions will make it look kinda dated but it fits. idk about amateurish, just replayed it recently and never felt that way about it
Draku
(Jun 15, 2017 at 4:36 PM)EH2 Wrote: the original looks dated and amateurish
What the fuck?

While PiT and BiS fix the few problems that existed with the original's spritework (such as how Bowser and Toads look) they also started the removal of personality and originality from the sprites. I would never think even once about the original sprites looking "amateurish". It's a fucking comiclike style and SSS had by far the closest hit to feeling like you were playing something illustrated. A bunch of the enemy designs pop out and look really creative, the color palette is super good too. The remake takes every fresh design and even references to the original Mario Bros. like the Beanbean equivalent of Koopas being derived from Shellcreepers and shits all over it with neutered, lifeless copies of normal Koopa Troopas with shit on their heads.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
EH2
Boy, when I said "unpopular opinion", I underestimated just how much. Hey, I'm not shaming you for liking M&LSS, I'm just stating my perception of it - and no, it's not exactly an old perception, I didn't dislike it back then as much as I do now.

(Jun 15, 2017 at 5:16 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Granted I don't think MLSS has the best graphics in the series; that would be BiS.

This, hands down. It could've been perfect to keep going in that direction instead of what we got.
brainwyrms
When the remake got leaked, I was kinda hoping that the series would make its seemingly inevitable leap into full 3D visuals. Paper Jam was littered with it from the environments, to the papercraft battles to other various elements.
Spoiler:
I think the fact that they have stuck with the same sprite style for 3 games now is a little silly, if not disappointing. While Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story have their ups and downs, I still commend them for both having their own distinct appearances, which makes them a lot more memorable in my head than Dream Team or Paper Jam.
I'm still absolutely picking up the remake because I'm an absolute sucker and at its core it's (hopefully) still Superstar Saga.
[Image: B3S9ub9.png]