Sonic Mania (Fans shit all over Sega)

Pedigree
(Oct 25, 2017 at 7:40 PM)Poxni Wrote: just kinda yoinking this from my twitter:
Quote:I tried the Sonic Forces demo and I don't think I have good things to say about it, nearly at all

I think my biggest minor peeve though is... who ok'd how the cube wispon works lmao

It doesn't feel good to use and is significantly worse than the others in the demo (I feel this way about a lot of thinsg here but)

the demo stages only give you a minute (lmao) but that doesn't do anything to make the level design look less flat and boring at all!!

classic sonic somehow feels even more sloppy than he did in generations. I do welcome drop dash because in general that's a Good Idea

modern sonic is maybe the least offensive playstyle but still feels a bit chunky (being able to do your second jump after airboost is good)

avatar seems ok at best maybe but some wispon ability choices seem super questionable (again, why would you subject yourself to cube hammer)

I think all in all the Forces demo goes to show that: yes, you can in fact judge a game based on footage if you have existing precedent.
tl;dr it's pretty bad. I still probably wanna pirate it on PC for a full opinion and I'm most interested in the story. In a Sonic game.
1 minute time limit in a demo is bad, but the reason it's bad is because it doesn't give you enough time to get a feel for the game. Meanwhile, I've tried the e3 demo at GameStop expo, which didn't have this absurd time limit, and it felt exactly like Generations 2 to me. If you didn't like Generations, you probably won't like this game and that is fair. However, I will continue to call out anyone pretending it's the next Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric.

Also in case you didn't know, if you don't like a certain wispon you can switch between them in the full game before each Avatar stage and can unlock more as you play.
Spritanium
(Oct 26, 2017 at 2:07 AM)Aidan Wrote:
(Oct 26, 2017 at 1:41 AM)Spritanium Wrote: You'd think sonic team would've made enough shitty sonic games by now that they could just make a great game by using 90% of the other ones as "what not to do" examples

isn't that exactly what generations is

Sonic Generations had perfect gameplay. There are some inherent flaws with the whole idea of precise platforming at breakneck speeds, but Generations has the best gamefeel of any Sonic game I've ever played. The only problem is they didn't even try to have an interesting plot, and I also vaguely remember being really disappointed by the final boss.

I don't understand why they can't just use the exact same engine as Generations to make another Sonic Adventure. There's nothing wrong at all with the idea of an interconnected plot with a different campaign for each character; they just fucked it up in Sonic 06 and then never tried again. Which is a shame because Sonic 06 probably could've been a decent game if they had a whole additional year to work on it lol
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Pedigree
Sonic 06 had human x hedgehog romance and the copout ending I don't think another year would have made a difference
T-man
(Oct 26, 2017 at 5:04 PM)Spritanium Wrote:
(Oct 26, 2017 at 2:07 AM)Aidan Wrote:
(Oct 26, 2017 at 1:41 AM)Spritanium Wrote: You'd think sonic team would've made enough shitty sonic games by now that they could just make a great game by using 90% of the other ones as "what not to do" examples

isn't that exactly what generations is

Sonic Generations had perfect gameplay. There are some inherent flaws with the whole idea of precise platforming at breakneck speeds, but Generations has the best gamefeel of any Sonic game I've ever played. The only problem is they didn't even try to have an interesting plot, and I also vaguely remember being really disappointed by the final boss.

I don't understand why they can't just use the exact same engine as Generations to make another Sonic Adventure. There's nothing wrong at all with the idea of an interconnected plot with a different campaign for each character; they just fucked it up in Sonic 06 and then never tried again. Which is a shame because Sonic 06 probably could've been a decent game if they had a whole additional year to work on it lol

The thing about Sonic Generations’ gameplay formula is that it’s simply not economical, why do you think they tack so much shit on to it? Think of how many miles of beautiful geometry they need to make that you just speed right past and it’s over in a flash. I think that’s a big reason why Forces has a much more simplistic art style when compared to Unleashed and Generations. I totally sympathize with this issue, that’s why I think they need to downplay the boosting mechanics and devise a control scheme that’s fast and agile but not necessarily the breakneck speeds of Unleashed and Generations. I think you should be able to go super fast, but much like the 2D games it should be something you earn by being good at the game.
Draku
It's almost as if they had everything figured out in Colors which had the pretty boosting heavy segments and then the actual gameplay segments, as well as making the multiple act structure work in this format well by having a lot of smaller stages rather than some big setpiece bullshit. It even limited your boosting by making it a powerup rather than lol u use rings to boost but boost attracts rings GENIUS FUCKING DESIGN
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Pedigree
So... Sonic Forces, since you guys mention it here I guess I'll post this here. Classic Sonic feels absolutely shit, I don't fucking understand how they made him feel so much worse than Generations. Classic Sonic feels heavier and slower than Sonic the Hedgehog 1 Sonic, and dear god that's terrible. Thank goodness the rumor is he has few stages at all.

Avatar and Modern Sonic are fine and fun to play.

tbh delete Classic Sonic... if you had to have a third character just replace Classic Sonic with the Episode Shadow shit. Forcing the Mania connection, pun intended, is the biggest fucking mistake because it makes this shitty Classic Sonic feel worse.

Also Switch version plays fine. I don't know why people were complaining. No frame drops, looks good.
A
nyways it was only $40 and I'm getting entertainment out of it but wouldn't blame anyone for skipping it.

The return to cheesy dialogue and taking itself seriously is kind of my favorite part, that and Modern Sonic stages (boosting is pretty nerfed except for specific parts they obv want you to boost through, btw, you can't just hold the button through the entire level).
_

When a $40 Sonic game runs smoother than BOTW, I think maybe Nintendo dropped the fucking ball. Playing all these better optimized games makes going back into BOTW hurt... like it's really hard not to notice.

I hope they patch it up some more before the Champion Story DLC comes out.

/end of opinion
Elyk
Sonic Forces (Sega shits all over fans)
Spooks?
I don't know much about Forces, but I sure do like that Infinite guy!
Syaxamaphone
I played this game and I hate it. Stages are short and boring, Classic Sonic controls like shit, there's like 2 enemies in the game and it runs like garbage.

At least with Steam I could refund it.
[Image: NZRK1uk.gif]
T-man
i just found out forces doesnt even have the drift

fuck this game
Draku
beat the entire game in one sitting. modern sonic is worse to play as than in colors and generations (though they DID fix the fucking sidestepping and made it analog stick-able like in colors as well as L+R like in generations rather than only one or the other), classic sonic is a fucking horrorfest, the avatar has terrible stage design and weird auto-control bits that throw you off and all of the wisp weapons feel extremely janky to use. the powerup pickups would be cool but you have to use them within like a second of picking them up or they fizzle out which defeats any purpose in having them in the game. the light dash one is somehow more finnicky than even the sonic adventure renditions of it which is impressive(ly terrible)

story is awful, has an inconsistent tone, has really weird characterization (since when was knuckles some strategist?), and the phantom ruby's lore is inconsistent with mania unless i missed something. infinite's origin story is super cliche and dumb and his actions make no sense (repeatedly defeats characters only not to do anything to them afterwards)

the OC shit making for funny screenshots is the only saving grace of the entire game really.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
sealelement
(Nov 8, 2017 at 1:35 AM)Elyk Wrote: Sonic Forces (Sega shits all over fans)

this is my favorite post on this website
100% pure gamer 100%
Spritanium
Do you think sega will ever realize that "run as fast as possible all the time" and "complete intricate platforming challenges" are not compatible gameplay philosophies
[Image: supercorrect.png]