T-man

Not nearly as good as Sonic Mania, I don't like how they're continuing to use Classic Sonic in 3D games. It was fine in Generations because that was the whole point, but the Sonic director man said this isn't a sequel to Generations.
kaZaam
ya that looks fuckin stupid. y does sega keep juxtaposing this dark apocalypse shit with their anime mickey mouse mascots
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
Spritanium
Grooooan

Generations was a cool one-off title to include both modern and classic Sonic. That game being well-received wasn't a free invitation to make every single Sonic game "one size fits all".

Classic Sonic is like a party favor that nobody wanted, anyway. The classic Sonic games already exist, go play them. Meanwhile the percentage of actually-good 3D Sonic games is somewhere below 10%.

I've said some shit about how Nintendo handles Mario, but at least they make good (albeit uninspired) games. Sega has one of the best-designed characters in history at their disposal, and they use him to continually churn out garbage.

(Jul 23, 2016 at 7:30 PM)Kazaam Wrote: ya that looks fuckin stupid. y does sega keep juxtaposing this dark apocalypse shit with their anime mickey mouse mascots

I mean it worked in Sonic Adventure 1&2 when they went a little more serious. It also worked in Shadow the Hedgehog where the dark apocalypse shit was so ridiculously overblown that it was just hilarious.

Actually, that's what I'd like to see done with Sonic. Use self-referential humor and actual good writing to craft a truly unique experience. I would love to see colorful hedgehogs trying to stop the apocalypse, if it wasn't treated seriously at all and they actually played off the fact that the idea is absurd.

OH and if they had an engine that wasn't a big bucket of asses.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Draku
the idea seems ehh and i'm not a fan of classic sonic being in there again just because generations gets jerked off so much, but if the gameplay is at least in the same style that'll be nice.

>tfw never colors 2

[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
I honestly just want another game like Unleashed without the Werehog nonsense, I really really like Unleashed's art direction, environment design, and music.

Also, Sonic Team are graphical wizards, so I can't wait to see how gorgeous this game will be.
Draku
unleashed's daytime level design is fucking god awful, so i probably never appreciated it as much as i should have. the environments looked nice but i don't really like the real world locations and whatnot. colors had the fucking perfect settings going with the theme park... theme. colorful, creative, and even managed to get mechanical and industrial stuff in there that still fit in due to it.

sonic music is -always- great though and that's a constant. unleashed's soundtrack is awesome and distinct.

what i'm mostly mad about is that colors is the only game to do the boost gimmick properly due to how it was a powerup based thing rather than relying on rings which makes no sense design wise as if you boost into more rings you'll just keep it going forever anyways. and i know they're going to do that shit again with this new game because apparently having wisps working properly was some miracle that they failed to replicate by botching them terribly in the following two games.
T-man
(Jul 23, 2016 at 8:18 PM)Draku Wrote: unleashed's daytime level design is fucking god awful
Yeah, the level design was much more congruent with the boosting mechanics in following titles.
kaZaam
all the new sonic games are p boring to me tbh. like the actual going fast parts are mostly just holding a button and doing like a qte and the platforming isnt anything special and just feels like padding. i honestly prefer the adventure 2 gameplay to anything else so far. like yea its clunky but at least it's involving

and idk why people like generations. it has like two cool levels n thats it & above all it feels like a passive-aggressive insult to the fans like they just cant accept new ideas and its not just that sega's new ideas are shitty
Draku
(Jul 23, 2016 at 8:55 PM)Kazaam Wrote: and idk why people like generations. it has like two cool levels
it's because everyone that praises it heavily has never played colors which did virtually everything generations did but better
kaZaam
w.e i think generations did its job cause now the fans are complacent af
kaZaam
yeah colors was cool and was p funny too. eben the humor is lost in generations cause the idea is so weird, video gamey n creatively bankrupt its like impossible to write around
Poxni
I'm hoping Sonic is still the smartass he's been in the past few games. Seeing a Classic Sonic teamup yet again is pretty disappointing too.
[Image: xPhNzA9.jpg]