Spritanium
For me the game is more like a cold drink of water after a long drought, maybe later I'll have better drinks, but at that moment nothing could beat what I got.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
T-man
(Apr 13, 2017 at 2:33 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Camera aside, I think when the worst complaint is "there's no intercom sound effect when the boss talks to you", that's a pretty good sign that we're dealing with a fine game

That's not the worst complaint, those were just personal nitpicks as I didn't set out to write an in-depth review. I could go on about how the layout of the overworld is confusing because the level design isn't very good at organically drawing you in the right direction, the way forward is often more obscure than it needs to be. There are some ice blocks you can break with your sonar blast and other ice blocks you can't for some reason. Transformations are a complete afterthought, the snow plow in particular controls like dog shit with the turning radius of Saturn's rings and no reverse. Combat is mindless, a simple spin will dispatch most enemies and it feels as if there's no weight behind your attacks at all. The flight ability (not to be confused with the glide) you unlock trivializes the whole game, you can get insane verticality for next to no energy.

There are numerous little things that may not sound like much by themselves, but they accumulate to really chip away at my enjoyment of the game. I could go even more in-depth and compare Yooka-Laylee and Banjo-Kazooie directly, but for the sake of not being tl;dr I hope you'll take my word for it that it's lacking in several areas.
Pedigree
Playing Yooka Laylee on room mate's pc and holy shit the design of Rampo is fucking bad, and it's not just because a dodge/jump over the logs slope boss is a lame idea. The camera is useless and I fell off the platform twice thanks to autocamera, resetting the boss completely. I hope the other bosses are better.
T-man
(Apr 13, 2017 at 5:39 PM)Pedigree Wrote: Playing Yooka Laylee on room mate's pc and holy shit the design of Rampo is fucking bad, and it's not just because a dodge/jump over the logs slope boss is a lame idea. The camera is useless and I fell off the platform twice thanks to autocamera, resetting the boss completely. I hope the other bosses are better.

Never even got to the World 2 boss, but the World 3 boss is fun

World 3 is the best in general I think. World 5 is shaping up nicely too.
Spritanium
Oh yeah the first boss sucked ass, we too fell off multiple times and had to climb all the way back up
T-man
Also if anyone has trouble with those bee enemies just use sonar to stun them, then attack
Pedigree
Last time I had to do something like that was fighting King Bobomb in Super Mario 64. The key differences being that he was actually designed to throw you off the fucking boss platform and the camera doesn't get in the fucking way.
T-man
[Image: U4vCN0z.png]

all hail shadow
Spritanium
(Apr 13, 2017 at 5:50 PM)Pedigree Wrote: Last time I had to do something like that was fighting King Bobomb in Super Mario 64. The key differences being that he was actually designed to throw you off the fucking boss platform and the camera doesn't get in the fucking way.
And it wasn't an insurmountable journey to get back up top
Elyk
(Apr 13, 2017 at 5:40 PM)T-man Wrote:
(Apr 13, 2017 at 5:39 PM)Pedigree Wrote: Playing Yooka Laylee on room mate's pc and holy shit the design of Rampo is fucking bad, and it's not just because a dodge/jump over the logs slope boss is a lame idea. The camera is useless and I fell off the platform twice thanks to autocamera, resetting the boss completely. I hope the other bosses are better.

Never even got to the World 2 boss, but the World 3 boss is fun

World 3 is the best in general I think. World 5 is shaping up nicely too.
Does World 5 get better once you expand it? Unexpanded world 5 was okay but it was really tiny and didn't have an exploration element to it.
T-man
(Apr 15, 2017 at 6:59 PM)Elyk Wrote: Does World 5 get better once you expand it? Unexpanded world 5 was okay but it was really tiny and didn't have an exploration element to it.
The exploration element is definitely lacking in World 5. There is a bit more to see once you expand it, but it's more of a good level in the sense that the challenges they have you do are fun.
Elyk
Ah, that makes sense then. And, speaking of worlds...

What did you guys think of World 1? I saw a lot of reviewers saying that it is the best one but my opinion is the opposite. It really hits you right away with the fact that the polish Banjo had isn't present. There is a lot of foliage that the camera can get stuck on.

The challenges there aren't very fun either. One of the first challenges that the player encounters is the race which is terrible because of how unforgiving it is. The Rextro game is annoying too. I was able to beat it on my first but it wasn't fun to play. (Also a general complaint is that if you beat the high score the first time the game shouldn't make you play it a second time). Most of the other stuff is just really basic which is okay for a first level I guess but didn't really stand out.

I also had some issues with it where the moving platforms didn't sync up right. I had to wait about 5 or so cycles before I was able to make jumps. I think this was a glitch though because I came back to the area later and they were synced up fine.
T-man
The first two worlds are honestly the weakest in the entire game. They're massive and generic. The level design doesn't inspire the curiosity to explore at all because you're only ever going to see foliage and empty space. None of the levels managed to instill a child-like sense of wonder in me because of how bland they are. The late game is saved by more compelling platform challenges and mini games, but the level design leaves a lot to be desired.
T-man
Despite me being very critical of the game I still like it and really want it on my Switch
Elyk
Yeah, same. I am still overall enjoying my experience even if there's a lot of bad/annoying stuff. If you copy a 10/10 game but do 4 points worse that's still 6/10 which is an acceptable score.
Pedigree
Haven't beat the game yet but looked ahead to credits to make sure I got in and sure enough...

[Image: opTIVfk.png]
Spritanium
Wow that's a lot of guys named Josh, you should all hang out
Pedigree
btw the rumor is the credits for this game is three hours long because of the backers LOL
Spritanium
I wonder if any backers trolled the game with a name like Adolf "This Game Is Going To Suck" Hitler
CHESHIRE ☯
So what I'm gathering from the game reviews and friend anecdotes (particularly OSM, Sponge, Chakra-X, and Sword) is this:

If you LOVE Banjo-Kazooie and fap to Grant Kirkhope's music (as we know OSM and Sponge do), the game is a dream come true, 10/10, would fund again.

If you like platformers and collectathons, and are generally content with N64 era gaming, the game is pretty shoddy in parts and soulless in others, but it's "tolerable" overall.

And if you're like me, who enjoyed Banjo-Kazooie's gameplay, but HATE Banjo-Tooie, HATE Gruntilda's rhyming bullshit, and consider Grant Kirkhope THE WORST THING TO HAPPEN TO VIDEO GAME SOUNDTRACKS EVER BECAUSE A WHOLE GENERATION MISTAKES SHITTY HONKS AND KAZOO'S AS ACTUAL HIGHGRADE ORCEHSTRATION… …the game is a fucking mess.

…but please what do you guys think? I'm not gonna play the game, but I'll sure as hell partake of the
GREAT DAZEthat is that sweet, oh so sweet David Wise audio nectar.