CHESHIRE ☯
As someone who knew Monty Oum from the con scene and always greatly appreciated his work ethic and talent, calling myself and avid fan of RWBY doesn't really do it justice. However, I'm objective. The series has made grade strides over the course of time in quality all around, but it had a very difficult and slow start accented by Monty's trademark choreographed fight scenes making it a viable watch.

The "Release by Volume" format is also difficult to swallow, because while it is a very acceptable and welcome format for serial release (which is in most cases weekly for the show), it is admittedly a painful experience to take in the full uncut doses it gets edited into on Netflix and such. The writing starts to decompose for the first 2 seasons when you binge watch it. I would say the rewards and payout start to come out in Volume 3 for those who are able to stick with it long enough, and all 4 volumes so far have several golden moments. But you really need to take it in stride.

Having originally watched it in the serial format I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I binge-watched all 4 last year and DEAR GOD was it intolerable. The writing form is highly

SO WHAT'S YOUR FUCKING POINT THIS TIME CHESHIRE?

Well, the RWBY manga is out in Japan, and it's pretty fucking fantastic. Not only is it INCREDIBLY HIGH OCTANE and drawn by my favorite manga artist
Miwa Shirow (DOGS, 7th Dragon, Kiznaiver fame), since the manga is drawing from 4 Volumes of developed story it takes the liberty of resolving continuity errors and greatly strengthening the flow of the story… …in the Miwa Shirow way. Rooster Teeth is producing this manga with Jump Comics, so publisher Viz has released the first 19 Chapters (Volume 1) in English as well.

Here, for your possible curiosity:

Spoiler:

What are your thoughts on the RWBY series? Have you read the manga? Comparisons? Thoughts? And what is your take on Western developed animation that mimics Japanese design and writing tropes? I personally think most are honest efforts, but never quite hit the mark. But RWBY's manga transitions pretty well.
Elyk
I really enjoyed the trailers and character design for the main four but when the series actually came out I only watched a few episodes. I feel like the setting they chose was a waste of potential. I also couldn't deal with the episodes being random amounts of time some even as short as just a couple of minutes. I have always been kind of curious at how it turned out but could never get myself to return to it.

I also tried the game out a few months ago. It looked really fun and the co-op aspect sounded appealing but it was really boring and basic for something of the genre. Again, a waste of potential.
Yrrzy
i watched it cause i like rooster teeth stuff

s1 was eh, s2 was ok, s3 was great, s4 straight back to eh again
CHESHIRE ☯
(May 23, 2017 at 9:37 PM)Elyk Wrote: I really enjoyed the trailers and character design for the main four but when the series actually came out I only watched a few episodes. I feel like the setting they chose was a waste of potential. I also couldn't deal with the episodes being random amounts of time some even as short as just a couple of minutes. I have always been kind of curious at how it turned out but could never get myself to return to it.

I also tried the game out a few months ago. It looked really fun and the co-op aspect sounded appealing but it was really boring and basic for something of the genre. Again, a waste of potential.

The game was a joke. It's cool that they used actual models and animations straight from the show, but it's just not that fun to play.

I do say give the show another shot though. If you can get through the initial slog the payout really is there. Some awesome fight scenes, decent character arcs, and the enjoyment does compound on itself as you get to know the characters.
Elyk
Turned out I had time tonight so I watched volume 1 it was actually better than I expected it to be. None of the action scenes came close to the trailers though.
I enjoy the weapon design. It reminds me of Nanoha a bit with how they morph and have cartridges and stuff. Nora's is great and monkey man's weapon reveal put a big smile on my face.
The volume 2 thumbnails showing up in my recommendations seem to indicate much higher production values but who knows when I'll have the time for that.
CHESHIRE ☯
(May 24, 2017 at 3:31 AM)Elyk Wrote: Turned out I had time tonight so I watched volume 1 it was actually better than I expected it to be. None of the action scenes came close to the trailers though.
I enjoy the weapon design. It reminds me of Nanoha a bit with how they morph and have cartridges and stuff. Nora's is great and monkey man's weapon reveal put a big smile on my face.
The volume 2 thumbnails showing up in my recommendations seem to indicate much higher production values but who knows when I'll have the time for that.

Monty definitely upped the ante in Volume 2 with just about everything. When he passed he had only finished about half of Volume 3's main animated scenes, so you'll notice some directorial changes here and there, but the passion is definitely there.

I would argue that Volume 3 is the strongest in terms of story so far, and Volume 2 is the strongest in terms of action and excitement. Volume 4 is something more of an evolution because of their budget increase and working with their new engine, but outside of the story you can tell there's a bit of a hole missing in the choreography that only Monty could have filled.