is it racist to not be sexually attracted to certain races

Bee
There are people that would call you racist for exclusively dating people of a single race, even if its not your own.
there's really no winning here.
God
the problem is that ppl are scared of the word racist coz they conjur up extremities in their head lyk the KKK or some shit when in reality racism is significantly more commonplace and highly productive under capitalism. i cannot even begin to imagine how many mental backflips one must execute in order for a light-skinned person such as myself to convince themselves that they aren't a racist.
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
T-man
(Jun 14, 2017 at 12:20 AM)OracularREBORN Wrote: the problem is that ppl are scared of the word racist coz they conjur up extremities in their head lyk the KKK or some shit when in reality racism is significantly more commonplace and highly productive under capitalism. i cannot even begin to imagine how many mental backflips one must execute in order for a light-skinned person such as myself to convince themselves that they aren't a racist.
Well, yeah. We're told growing up that being racist is one of the worst things a person can be, so obviously people will try to rationalize themselves as not-racist.
God
(Jun 14, 2017 at 12:27 AM)T-man Wrote:
(Jun 14, 2017 at 12:20 AM)OracularREBORN Wrote: the problem is that ppl are scared of the word racist coz they conjur up extremities in their head lyk the KKK or some shit when in reality racism is significantly more commonplace and highly productive under capitalism. i cannot even begin to imagine how many mental backflips one must execute in order for a light-skinned person such as myself to convince themselves that they aren't a racist.
Well, yeah. We're told growing up that being racist is one of the worst things a person can be, so obviously people will try to rationalize themselves as not-racist.

exactly

if light-skinned people cared less about whether or not their actions are perceived as a racist (by other light-skinned people?) and more about how they can actually meaningfully engage with people of colour in spite of their racism then we'd be much better at
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Bee
can you not
sealelement
i'm sorry everyone. blame FWD, not me
100% pure gamer 100%
Spritanium
Why can't we just consider "racial bias" and "racism" to be seperate terms

Because you're right, when I think of racism I think of extremes like the KKK which I obviously don't want to be associated with. But I'll admit to having racial bias because that's something literally everybody has to some extent
[Image: supercorrect.png]
God
ive already explained why: because if you worry more about whether or not You Are A Racist than how u to engage with PoC, you're more interested in your self-preservation as a benifitor of White Supremacy than as a revolutionary agent for change. mayb u shud stop using the KKK as a scapegoat for your racist values if you want to be part of the New World
T-man
Man, it's no wonder people are afraid of change when that's the terminology you use to represent it.
Spritanium
Yeah calling people fundamentally and irreversibly racist isn't really a good way to make them change their behavior.

I am an individual, I exist on my own terms, I make my own decisions based on how they will affect the world around me. It's not my responsibility to be some sort of martyr, out myself as a racist even though I don't believe I am one, and then deal with the constant vitriol which would then be spewed at me by people who don't give a shit about my help anyway.

If you're gonna pretend racism is all-or-nothing then there's not much to discuss here. We all have ugly parts about ourselves but I am objectively not as bad as the KKK
kaZaam
problem is i don't see any concern here over racism. i just see concern over being called a racist
kaZaam
(Jun 14, 2017 at 5:30 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Yeah calling people fundamentally and irreversibly racist isn't really a good way to make them change their behavior.
phew good thing shes not doing that. like why do you think she's engaging you at all about this?
(Jun 14, 2017 at 5:30 PM)Spritanium Wrote: If you're gonna pretend racism is all-or-nothing then there's not much to discuss here. We all have ugly parts about ourselves but I am objectively not as bad as the KKK

"all-or-nothing" like the people saying you can be either Not Racist or a kkk member lol
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
Spritanium
(Jun 14, 2017 at 5:31 PM)kaZaam Wrote: problem is i don't see any concern here over racism. i just see concern over being called a racist
Am I supposed to suffix every post with a reminder that racism is bad? Of course I'm fucking concerned about racism you goofball
kaZaam
so why is any claim of racism directed at you deflected with "but im not a kkk member"? js don't try to water down your own potential biases just because there are worse people out there
Spritanium
I just have other things to be concerned about in addition to racism, I mean maybe that's selfish, but I'm not as affected by racism as many other people so it makes sense that I would focus more on other things. Then we enter into a "is it murder if you don't save someone"-type conundrum, for which there really is no answer
Spritanium
(Jun 14, 2017 at 5:38 PM)kaZaam Wrote: so why is any claim of racism directed at you deflected with "but im not a kkk member"? js don't try to water down your own potential biases just because there are worse people out there
But you used the word "bias" there. I admit to having racial bias like everyone else. This is what I mean by "all or nothing", you guys are arguing semantics and suggesting any thoughtfulness I have regarding racism simply doesn't count if I don't call myself a racist.

Consider that it's possible for one group of especially-terrible people to ruin a label that might have otherwise done a good job at describing what it was meant to describe. Just like Hitler ruined little tiny mustaches, despicable, violent racism has made the term "racist" evoke horrifying imagery. You can't blame people for not wanting to be associated with that, especially since it's unfair to punish people for being born into a system that happens to favor them
kaZaam
yeah exactly we have to be thoughtful about our biases so why is racism kkk or bust
Aidan
i've been having some thoughts that maybe racism ain't so bad
i think it's time to start looking at the good parts of racism instead of always focusing on the negative
Spritanium
Do you really not understand why someone who always tries to treat people with respect would feel an aversion to being lumped together with the KKK?

I don't think racism is even "KKK or bust". But how much racism does someone have to have before you call them "racist"? And how do you expect doing so to cause them to be more self aware, instead of just annoying them?

People are only going to become more and more divided until we learn how to make compromises. Maybe give white people a little credit for being incredibly less racist than we were before. I think that in my life, a life where I try to treat every person with respect, I have done NOTHING to deserve being mentioned in the same sentence as an organization which exists solely to treat certain people without respect.
Spritanium
I mean sometimes I wish people would just tell me what I can do to "fight racism" without being an activist. I don't want to be an activist, I have other things to do, but that doesn't mean I'm racist. Talk about a with-us-or-against-us mentality