EH2
When you think about it, the term "PC Master Race" is everything but PC.
Mario
deep
Spritanium
I was more comfortable with that term when I was certain it was ironic. Now that actual Nazis are back I'd be surprised if there wasn't some crossover. It's time to retire the term
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Fun With Despair
Mind Blown

but in all honesty, PC master race is honestly such a pointless term. Outside of framerate I literally don't notice graphical differences between my PS4 and my PC, even if my PC is on higher settings.

With the release of shit like the XxXBONEXxX too, I think we're hitting a point where it doesn't even fucking matter because it all looks the same, for better or worse.
Draku
ps4 has shittier everything graphically than pc and its REALLY apparent if you dont sit 3000 feet from your tv but the difference is the ps4 actually has games to play
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
The whole concept of a PC being better has been wrong for years

Games look better on your PC if you spend $2000. Choose more modest parts to run your games in console quality, and you'll still be paying more.

In 2010 this would be a good idea because the average person also needed a desktop for other tasks, so they could spend say $500 on PC parts and have a decent gaming rig that could also be used for work.

In 2017 nobody needs a desktop, save for highly specialized professionals. For people who just want to play games in 1080p, it doesn't make sense to assemble + maintain a desktop PC that will be used for absolutely nothing except games. It makes far more sense to buy a console and never have to worry about upgrading your hardware.

How long does a console last anyway? Like 8 years? After 8 years your motherboard will be a big metal slab of yesterday's technology, which basically means that your upgrade path is done. Because all the software for a console is explicitly designed for a predictable set of hardware, new games will never be sluggish unless there's something psysically wrong with the console. In other words, buying a console is cheaper AND provides more longevity than a PC.

I still prefer PC gaming because I mostly play older games and I like to tinker, but god damn people need to learn to admit when they're beat. A gaming PC is just a shitty choice for the vast majority of people who play games.
Draku
(Jun 13, 2017 at 6:33 PM)Spritanium Wrote: In 2017 nobody needs a desktop
[Image: bHLVP1A.jpg]
Yrrzy
idk about u but i own a PC but not a TV

i'm using my PC the Majority of the time, investing in making my PC run video games is a better investment than buying a TV, and making a gamble on which Console will have the most games i want
Yrrzy
thats not "PC is objectively better" thats "PC is a better option for some people"
T-man
(Jun 13, 2017 at 4:15 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I was more comfortable with that term when I was certain it was ironic. Now that actual Nazis are back I'd be surprised if there wasn't some crossover. It's time to retire the term

Oh please, it was never ironic among those in the PC community, at least they're talking about device of choice and not people. Retiring the term is pointless and silly because it perfectly captures the mentality of a stereotypical PC gamer.

(Jun 13, 2017 at 6:33 PM)Spritanium Wrote: The whole concept of a PC being better has been wrong for years

Games look better on your PC if you spend $2000. Choose more modest parts to run your games in console quality, and you'll still be paying more.

In 2010 this would be a good idea because the average person also needed a desktop for other tasks, so they could spend say $500 on PC parts and have a decent gaming rig that could also be used for work.

In 2017 nobody needs a desktop, save for highly specialized professionals. For people who just want to play games in 1080p, it doesn't make sense to assemble + maintain a desktop PC that will be used for absolutely nothing except games. It makes far more sense to buy a console and never have to worry about upgrading your hardware.

How long does a console last anyway? Like 8 years? After 8 years your motherboard will be a big metal slab of yesterday's technology, which basically means that your upgrade path is done. Because all the software for a console is explicitly designed for a predictable set of hardware, new games will never be sluggish unless there's something psysically wrong with the console. In other words, buying a console is cheaper AND provides more longevity than a PC.

I still prefer PC gaming because I mostly play older games and I like to tinker, but god damn people need to learn to admit when they're beat. A gaming PC is just a shitty choice for the vast majority of people who play games.

All of this is spot on. I was totally in to PC gaming when I first built my computer, but I am basically totally out of it now. PC doesn't have dick of it's own anymore. Valve decided it was easier to be a store so worthwhile PC exclusives are non-existent. Once you play all the GameCube and Wii games in HD they're still the same games you played over a decade ago. The rest is just an endless landfill of indies and third party titles that are meant to fill the gaps between major releases, but on PC they're the main course. Who the actual fuck wants to play most Ubisoft, EA and Activision games? Like, I can understand liking one or two of their franchises but come on.
Yrrzy
ITT criticism of video game elitism turns into video game elitism
Aidan
pc + nintendo is a strong choice
most ps4 and xbone games come to pc, and the pc versions let you do mods and cheat engine and shit to generally offer a better experience
T-man
I also don't know if it's just me, but I literally can't stop fucking with my setting in a PC game because now the ball is in my court. Like I'll be playing a game and everything is fine and dandy, when suddenly there's a major FPS drop. Immediately the game stops and the menu opens and I spend the next 15 minutes trying various downgraded settings and keeping an eye on the FPS counter. On console I don't really care about FPS drops because there's nothing I can do about it.
Spritanium
(Jun 13, 2017 at 6:49 PM)Draku Wrote:
(Jun 13, 2017 at 6:33 PM)Spritanium Wrote: In 2017 nobody needs a desktop
[Image: bHLVP1A.jpg]
You don't need a desktop
Draku
i've had the displeasure of being forced to use nothing but a phone while my desktop was out of commission before

it's not something i'd like to repeat often, even with my new phone handling modern websites a lot better

fuck typing for example
Yrrzy
(Jun 13, 2017 at 7:06 PM)Spritanium Wrote: You don't need a desktop
pls stop assuming your use case is the same as everyone else's tbh
Spritanium
Unless you are using highly performance-intensive applications (mostly stuff with 3D) you can get anything you need done on a $500 laptop these days
T-man
Spritey's really is not wrong. The average person truly has no need for a desktop or even a laptop computer anymore. If you're a weeaboo with gigabytes upon gigabytes of downloaded anime, manga, and reaction images you're probably gonna need that desktop.
Spritanium
People have different use cases sure, but <1% of them require a desktop computer in 2017
T-man
(Jun 13, 2017 at 7:08 PM)Yrrzy Wrote:
(Jun 13, 2017 at 7:06 PM)Spritanium Wrote: You don't need a desktop
pls stop assuming your use case is the same as everyone else's tbh

like, im not assuming my case is the same as everyone elses tbh