ProtoTroid-13

I was just grinning and giggling like a little maniac as soon as I realized what this part of the presentation was. Just an announcement was enough to hype me up for more Metroid.

And then they dropped THIS bomb and the hype could not be contained!

I'd say "Samus Returns" is a very appropriate title given the way this fanbase has been feeling for the last seven (or ten) years...

...Which actually brings me to something I feel is important.

There's one thing about these announcements that disappoints me. Nothing to do with the game itself, but rather with the fanbase.

Seven years since the last mainline Metroid, ten years since the last well received one. Seven years of begging for a new Metroid, demanding that Nintendo acknowledge the franchise with more than just a few minor nods every now and then. And finally, when it actually happens, when not only do they announce a new installment for the Prime series, but also announce a soon to be released game only a few months away, I see that some parts of the fanbase still finds a reason to complain. Even when the product they're presented with actually looks good, there's still something to complain about. There's cautious skepticism, which I understand, but it seems to be crossing over into outright cynical doubt over resentment toward the company. Tell them that MecurySteam is the dev and suddenly the hype dies completely, and next thing you know you find someone calling the announcments "damage control." And conspiracy theories about how Nintendo resents the fact that the western developed Metroid Prime was more well received by audiences than their Japanese developed title.

It seems like a minority of people venting their frustration with Nintendo over the last few years, but I still can't help but feel disappointed in the Metroid fandom right now.
T-man

>everyone thought nintendo were being dicks about am2r

>they were making their own the whole time

Draku
yeah people will find a way to bitch about anything

this is absolutely fantastic news and im so fucking happy
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Mario
metroid prime 4 can fuck off til they have something to show.

metroid 2 2 doesnt look very good either but part of the problem is just the upscaled 3ds resolution lol

my full metroid opinion is that while I enjoy most of the series I really wish Nintendo _would_ leave it alone cuz i don't have faith that it'll be any good continued on with recent titles in the series in mind.

but hey they can prove me wrong

idk why anyone expects loyalty to a company anyway, people should point out their issues whenever there's all this hype bs
Draku
After the PR and sales bomb that was Fed Force, of course Nintendo wants to fix the brand's reputation. So a Switch Prime announcement is perfect for that even though they don't have anything to show, and they followed it up with a fantastic looking fresh take on 2D Metroid. The person playing it on Treehouse wasn't very good which probably made it seem worse but a lot of the concepts in it seem interesting and fun.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
(Jun 14, 2017 at 4:26 AM)Draku Wrote: The person playing it on Treehouse wasn't very good which probably made it seem worse but a lot of the concepts in it seem interesting and fun.
This seems to be a recurring theme with the Treehouse, it plagued Odyssey too.
Pea
T-man
(Jun 14, 2017 at 4:33 AM)Pea Wrote:
Sorry Metroid fans, but this would have been way better.
ProtoTroid-13
(Jun 14, 2017 at 4:26 AM)Draku Wrote: After the PR and sales bomb that was Fed Force, of course Nintendo wants to fix the brand's reputation. So a Switch Prime announcement is perfect for that even though they don't have anything to show, and they followed it up with a fantastic looking fresh take on 2D Metroid. The person playing it on Treehouse wasn't very good which probably made it seem worse but a lot of the concepts in it seem interesting and fun.
If there is one small criticism I may have of it so far, it's that the free-aiming system may make some of the gameplay more difficult than it needs to be. You can't really move and free aim at the same time as far as I can tell. The classic games just had a button for diagonal aiming, and you could hold that down and move at the same time. With this mechanic it sort of limits Samus mobility. I don't know, more information is required.

Also can I just say that I absolutely love the redesign of the Zeta Metroid? The old sprite just made it ugly and the old artwork wasn't very intimidating. Between this design and all the fan designs I've seen (most of which just tried to update the old version), this is easily the best take on the Zeta.
Aidan
metroid 2 looks great, already the best combat in the series and zero mission has proven that they know how to remake a metroid game
i didn't watch the whole treehouse thing but the boss battle also looked really cool. they're really trying to get use out of all of samus' abilities and that's something i've wanted out of this series like forever.
no idea about prime 4 but 1,2&3 all own so it'll be hard to fuck this one up imo. cautious optimism there i guess.
Poxni
I heard something about Prime 4 being dev'd first party rather than by Retro. Is that true?
[Image: xPhNzA9.jpg]
sealelement
the free aim on samus returns looks like its the missile mechanic from other M but potentially done better and in a way that doesnt make missiles useless? i'd have to see more to know for sure, but it seems like a neat trade off if it's done well.
100% pure gamer 100%
CHESHIRE ☯
Wait, WAHT?!?!!??!

I never saw this 3DS trailer. As if I could get more excited.