[UPDATE] Schrodinger's Soundcloud

EH2
https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/12/soundshroud/

You served us well... sort of.

Whoever likes stuff that's hosted on Soundcloud, this might be the perfect chance to back shit up in any way you can. If you hosted stuff on Soundcloud, you might wanna start looking for alternatives. I know I am.
Bee

>you might wanna start looking for alternatives. I know I am.

http://bandcamp.com
Welp, if they end up closing then that'll leave a huge dent on indepedent artist trying to get noticed. Say what you will, but a lot of people came up off of soundcloud but there's always youtube I guess for that now.
Pea
https://hearthis.at/
Bee
(Jul 13, 2017 at 7:00 PM)Trafalgar Lawelma Wrote: Welp, if they end up closing then that'll leave a huge dent on indepedent artist trying to get noticed. Say what you will, but a lot of people came up off of soundcloud but there's always youtube I guess for that now.

or yknow

bandcamp
which is already used for exactly what youre describing very widely
maybe for bands. i'm more on the hip-hop side of things and I can name way more prodcuers/rap artist who came up off soundcloud than bandcamp

so get off me home skillet biscuit
Bee
(Jul 13, 2017 at 10:27 PM)Trafalgar Lawelma Wrote: maybe for bands. i'm more on the hip-hop side of things and I can name way more prodcuers/rap artist who came up off soundcloud than bandcamp

so get off me home skillet biscuit

i listen to a great many hip hop artists on bandcamp. it isnt genre exclusive.
bandcamp is just the name. it isnt exclusive to bands.
You're missing my point. Rappers growing and creating a name for themselves in a big way.

Soundcloud seemed like the easier more accessible platform for that.
Bee
rappers already do that on bandcamp iunno why youre so adamant on telling me something that is already used for exactly what you want isnt used for exactly what you want

its already used for that stop tryna act like it isnt. there are a ton of indie artists that have created a strong name for themselves using bandcamp. including rappers.
Give me 10 rappers who have had recognizable success off of bandcamp and I gurantee you they are nowhere near the soundcloud ones.

Not saying they aren't good or dont deserve more, just saying soundcloud was the better platform for getting your name out there
Bee
you wanted a replacement for soundcloud. i gave you one. stop trying to argue with me.
I was having a conversation dont play the victim game with me we are tomodachi
Yrrzy
bandcamp isnt genre exclusive but rap/hip hop fans tended to use soundcloud to find new artists rather than bandcamp

we'll see if theres a migration or what
Pedigree
Goodbye having to use computer volume mixer to turn that shit down because you can't find the volume button on soundcloud itself.
Rapidkirby3k
Well crap, I intended to add some more music of mine... Shrug
[Image: 45Yrb9j.png]
EH2
Bee, Bandcamp is a very good platform for music publishing and commercialization, but it's mostly aimed at albums and it doesn't really play nice with sampling or stuff that has no license most of the time. I mean sure, pretty much the entire vaporwave scene is on Bandcamp, but that doesn't mean you're safe from getting your shit kicked to the curb if you mess with someone litigious.

Not to mention that what Soundcloud had and Bandcamp doesn't have is social networking functions. Soundcloud actually has a communication system, unlike Bandcamp (unless I'm missing something), and Soundcloud is supposedly much better for discovering new stuff rather than Bandcamp's approach of "check out what's selling more, what's newer, what's selling right now, and the bands our writers see at the parties they go to".

Hearthis.at seems promising and a few acquaintances are releasing stuff in it, I might just have to wait and see with regards to that platform.
Spritanium
I upload random songs and other audio to SoundCloud; isn't Bandcamp more for releasing albums/EPs?
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Spooks?
Bandcamp also only has a limited amount of free downloads available, which is preeeeetty bad!

...Or it did a couple years back anyway! My rap album hit that download cap within minutes!

...Those were the days...
EH2
UPDATE!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/soundcloud-re...44973.html

Apparently Soundcloud is saying they're not closing down. However, a lot of people is still concerned that they're still a company that's misusing venture capital without offering return of interest, or caring about the quality of their additional services (like mobile apps). So while it seems there's no reason not to continue using it for now, it'd be very very wise to look into alternatives anyway.
Mario
makes sense to me. It def just seemed like reasonable downsizing- the fact that they were running 4 offices in 3 countries just seemed completely absurd for a company with no clear roi strategy. pull it back a bit and figure it out and then grow again if you need it.

now in the process of "figuring it out" they could just totally fuck their product though, which seems to happen a lot, so it would definitely be a good idea to look for alternatives.