Splatoon 2 Splatfest Demo Tomorrow (7/15)

T-man
(Jul 16, 2017 at 8:11 PM)Draku Wrote: Motherfucker the ENTIRE GAME MODE of Turf Wars is based around controlling more ground than the enemy team. If you can't check that in a split second when the matches are so short and make movement calls on a moment's notice the game mode that defines Splatoon might as well be fucking removed.

Pulling up the map means death because you die so fast and it COVERS THE ENTIRE SHITLICKING SCREEN SO YOU CANT FUCKING SEE ANYTHING. There are no safe places in the middle of when you'd need to check the map.

If you feel that way I can't really argue with you, I just don't really think it's that dire. There's only 4 enemies to keep track of and maps aren't exactly ginormous. I guess having to physically check up on turf isn't that big of a deal to me, It changes the dynamic but I'm not convinced it's for the worse.
Draku
(Jul 16, 2017 at 8:43 PM)T-man Wrote: If you feel that way I can't really argue with you, I just don't really think it's that dire. There's only 4 enemies to keep track of and maps aren't exactly ginormous. I guess having to physically check up on turf isn't that big of a deal to me, It changes the dynamic but I'm not convinced it's for the worse.
The enemies aren't the point though?? The game mode is map control and you can't even look at the damn map to see if you have any of it or not. In Splat1 matches were defined by countering stealth area painting like 50% of the time, now that you'll have no clue it's happening might as well just play it deathmatch style and hope you randomly won.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
brainwyrms
I've gotten used to single screen Splatoon, so it hopefully won't be an issue in the actual game for me. I did however have two problems with the Splatfest Demo:
1. Nothing carries over to the full game. I can see why they did this from the standpoint of not wanting to give people an early advantage before the game's even out, but it makes the effort I put into the Splatfest feel kinda worthless.
2. Not necessarily a Splatoon-specific issue but holy fuck connectivity issues out the wazoo. Sure it's a pre-release demo, and is likely doubling as a stress test, but this isn't the first time I've had this problem with Switch games, and I'm sure it won't be the last, either!
[Image: B3S9ub9.png]
T-man
(Jul 16, 2017 at 9:06 PM)Draku Wrote:
(Jul 16, 2017 at 8:43 PM)T-man Wrote: If you feel that way I can't really argue with you, I just don't really think it's that dire. There's only 4 enemies to keep track of and maps aren't exactly ginormous. I guess having to physically check up on turf isn't that big of a deal to me, It changes the dynamic but I'm not convinced it's for the worse.
The enemies aren't the point though?? The game mode is map control and you can't even look at the damn map to see if you have any of it or not. In Splat1 matches were defined by countering stealth area painting like 50% of the time, now that you'll have no clue it's happening might as well just play it deathmatch style and hope you randomly won.
Keeping track of what your enemies are doing absolutely is the point. If all four enemies are alive and two or three are in a central area you can assume someone's trying to be sneaky, which should prompt you to the side paths. I got in the habit of looking at the map while I was waiting to respawn and making note of the problem areas. My only real problem with how the map and super jump system works now is that they require two inputs, the map should close as soon as I release the X button and the super jump should not require an A button conformation.
Draku
Oh man now you know the map status from when you were dead, that'll be useful for two seconds before it changes completely.

That's my point, you can't check anything while you're alive (which is important) or else you'll risk dying because of how fucking clunky everything is.
Pedigree
biggest problem with no minimap on screen is that the entire playing field changes within seconds, an area you had just claimed gets sniped without you noticing unless you're checking the map constantly

a sneaky roller or two can render your gains pointless and you don't know until you respawn or find a moment to check the map
Draku
(Jul 16, 2017 at 10:41 PM)Pedigree Wrote: biggest problem with no minimap on screen is that the entire playing field changes within seconds, an area you had just claimed gets sniped without you noticing unless you're checking the map constantly
Exactly what I'm talking about.
T-man
It's a shame you guys feel so strongly about it, I didn't really notice it's absence while I was playing. I think you guys may be overstating it's importance to the gameplay. I think I may actually prefer having to be more aware of my surroundings, keeps me moving and changing up the paths I take.
Dude
stealth roller buff