kaZaam
wtf why do you berate what gave you the circumstances to exist at all

i mean i cant say whether our discontentment is a good thing or not but our lack of awareness definitely isn't
kaZaam
the shit we've done to conquer nature we owe completely to nature lmao
kaZaam
tldr gurt is ok but dont use it as a soapbox to put yourself above nature cause you and gurt are just as much a part of it as anything else. and its p fucken good

idk trying to bring this back to food
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
Spritanium
(Aug 20, 2016 at 8:32 PM)Kazaam Wrote: wtf why do you berate what gave you the circumstances to exist at all

i mean i cant say whether our discontentment is a good thing or not but our lack of awareness definitely isn't

The planet didn't give me anything because it's not sentient. If I find a rock on the ground, the earth didn't give me a rock, the earth made a rock by complete accident and then we gave it a name & meaning

Earth is beautiful but it's still the product of total chaos and essentially throwing shit at a dartboard until something sticks. We've developed the intelligence to challenge nature & align it with our needs/desires. That's why you're on a computer right now instead of trying to outrun a sabertooth tiger lol

This could go in another thread if someone wants to make one. I love talking about this shit
[Image: supercorrect.png]
T-man
Only on minus world can a discussion about food you don't like turn into an existential discussion
kaZaam
yknow it is an interesting concept cause like what is this egotistical separatism we get where these intense physical/chemical systems do their thing for billions of years and finally end with us. & for some reason, along with the tendency to look back on what we've come out of, what gave us the means to be, think and reflect and just shake our fist at it like it's against us? it probably wouldn't have made us at all then lmao

like oh yeah fuck you nature, you made a thing that could eat me! good thing ive overcome you & all death/suffering cause someone else made yogurt/a computer from the resources you've given to us! take that! fuckin please
(Aug 20, 2016 at 9:34 PM)Spritanium Wrote: This could go in another thread if someone wants to make one. I love talking about this shit
nah this is all kinda relative to food, our tastes and what we've done w it
kaZaam
(Aug 20, 2016 at 9:52 PM)T-man Wrote: Only on minus world can a discussion about food you don't like turn into an existential discussion

its kinda inherently gonna go there cause like apparently taste exists at all for us to distinguish what is and isn't toxic but like u have people in this thread shitting themselves over celery lmao. taste is weird
Spritanium
I definitely feel like you're personifying nature/the earth a bit, and there's nothing wrong with that; that's for sure where the disconnect between us is coming from tho

To me planets are planets, amazing, breathtaking, but limited in their practicality. Whatever gave us greater intelligence than any other species on earth, be it chance or something more, I feel that it's our natural right to stretch the boundaries of what is physically possible.

I definitely don't think nature is *against* us in any way, and I don't feel like innovating using natural tools is really disrespectful. I mean if you do want to look at nature as a sort of force, it provided us with the ability to ask these questions, and to act on them. And you could argue that wouldn't have happened if we weren't meant to invent our own extensions to nature. Nature 2.0, better for everyone, human or otherwise.

That's the thing, we have to be careful with this enormous power we have. We have yet to even see the repercussions of many of the changes we've made to our planet, and we could very well end up wiping ourselves out before we truly perfect the human condition - and in that situation, Earth does get the last laugh.
Spritanium
(Aug 20, 2016 at 11:37 PM)Kazaam Wrote:
(Aug 20, 2016 at 9:52 PM)T-man Wrote: Only on minus world can a discussion about food you don't like turn into an existential discussion

its kinda inherently gonna go there cause like apparently taste exists at all for us to distinguish what is and isn't toxic but like u have people in this thread shitting themselves over celery lmao. taste is weird

Yeah I can't even begin to wonder what causes such petty things as taste. If I had to guess I'd say the huge amount of choices and relative ease of obtaining food have spoiled us. But all things considered, deprive someone of food for 3 days and they'll be begging for celery
Beako

Minus World is the best forum ever.
kaZaam
i think judgments like "amazing, breathtaking, limited". count as personifying nature. i'm not trying to personify the universe (mayb im failing tho idk) as anything. i guess im trying to say that i appreciate that everything around me (nature) enables me to exist and think and do anything else i can. and because of that, i have no real reason to turn against it, even just conceptually. things are just what they are, but that's OK.

& im not saying that we shouldn't innovate, ffs our discontentment is p much what makes us human. im just saying it shouldn't be seen as Conquering Nature because that discontentment and everything else about you comes from the same place this nature does.
Yrrzy
man i rly hate onion
Spritanium
(Aug 20, 2016 at 11:55 PM)Kazaam Wrote: & im not saying that we shouldn't innovate, ffs our discontentment is p much what makes us human. im just saying it shouldn't be seen as Conquering Nature because that discontentment and everything else about you comes from the same place this nature does.

Yeah maybe I made it sound different before but I don't see it as conquering. More like adapting it to make it fit our needs and our hopes, whereas the tradition has always been the opposite.
T-man
(Aug 20, 2016 at 11:55 PM)Yrr Wrote: man i rly hate onion

i don't mind onion in certain things, but i wouldn't eat it like an apple
Yoshin
For onion it really depends on the type of onion. Yellow onions are gross af but wild and red are delish
Spritanium
(Aug 21, 2016 at 12:52 AM)T-man Wrote:
(Aug 20, 2016 at 11:55 PM)Yrr Wrote: man i rly hate onion

i don't mind onion in certain things, but i wouldn't eat it like an apple

LOL I wonder if anyone actually does this
Spritanium
Honestly I'll eat little bits of onion by themselves if they fell off of something I'm eating. Onions are Good Sh*t
kaZaam
unions are good but neber by themselves so its kinda weird to say if you like em or not
kaZaam
yeah litl bits are fine esp cooked
Spritanium
I'm weird and I prefer them raw tbh. I love things with a crunch like that

I totally never thought about that though. Nobody just grabs an onion and eats it by itself (cooked or otherwise). There must be other foods like that but I can't think of a single other one