Are Indie Developers Undercharging For Their Games?

Mario
(Aug 19, 2017 at 7:31 PM)T-man Wrote:
(Aug 19, 2017 at 7:29 PM)Mario Wrote: any examples?

The shittiest Ubisoft game costs more than the best Indie game.

I don't know what those are, can you be more specific
Elyk
(Aug 19, 2017 at 6:50 PM)T-man Wrote: I just don't see the logistics in buying a game like Journey for 60 or even 40 bucks when you can get much more for your money. Now, Journey is a fucking incredible experience that brought tears to my eyes, but I wouldn't pay much more than the 15 dollars they're asking for it. In a perfect world people would be affluent enough to be able to spend 60 dollars on Breath of the Wild and 60 dollars on Journey, but people aren't made of money so you need to go with what'll get you the most bang for your buck.

I think if indie games were priced higher people would be even more picky about how to spend their money.
Those 20,000 sales at 20 dollars wouldn't translate to 20,000 sales at 60 dollars.
Yeah, no shit a 100+ hour long game would get you more bang for your buck than 5 hour long game. You're comparing some extremes. There are plenty of AAA games and indie games that have playtime within the 12-15 hour range.
Aidan
(Aug 19, 2017 at 6:13 PM)T-man Wrote: Hat in Time could probably get away with being 30 or 40 bucks, but Guacamelee can't.

tbf hat in time could be free considering he's going to keylog all the players and steal their credit cards
T-man
(Aug 19, 2017 at 9:21 PM)Aidan Wrote:
(Aug 19, 2017 at 6:13 PM)T-man Wrote: Hat in Time could probably get away with being 30 or 40 bucks, but Guacamelee can't.

tbf hat in time could be free considering he's going to keylog all the players and steal their credit cards

That explains why they're dealing with Sony
Mario
I checked out hat in times website and its just hilarious

like "Explore 5 massive worlds!

Chapter 1
Mafia Town
Sneak peek
Chapter 2
Subcon Forest
Sneak peek
Chapter 3
Battle of the Birds
Sneak peek
Chapter 4
Alpine Skyline

... and many more!"

5 = 4 + Many More
Elyk
Well it does say right below that they're adding 2 more DLC worlds for free because it was Kickstarter stretch goal.

So look forward to seeing those in another 5 years.
Syaxamaphone
Indie games are usually cheaper because they know the lot of you aren't dropping full retail for their shit.

Big devs can get away with charging full retail because casuals and moms will shell out full price without knowing any better. These two groups are usually NOT part of the indie developer's demographic so they need to be smart and fair to appeal to their audience. If its too expensive at launch, nobody will buy it while steam is plugging your new game on the main store page when it really matters. Its a very precise game of cost vs content.

Granted if you can break the barrier and get into the casual audience, like Minecraft did, you can charge up the ass and nobody can stop you!
[Image: NZRK1uk.gif]