Puddin
[Image: o1zXTTc.jpg]
BrainMaster
The chief function of the body is to carry the brain around.
EH2
This is gonna be a cruel joke, but:

I wonder what would've happened if Harvey hit a blue state
Spritanium
(Aug 31, 2017 at 2:44 PM)EH2 Wrote: This is gonna be a cruel joke, but:

I wonder what would've happened if Harvey hit a blue state

"There is blame on both sides"
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Kabuto
it would depend heavily on the state. if it was a blue state on the east coast, it would've been handled immediately, but it's an issue of bipartisan concern. southern states are always treated the worst in terms of infrastructure, disaster control and so on because as it turns out neither of the two parties that only care about rich people care about anything other than rich people, except when they can claim the other side hates poor people and do some sweeping legislation that hurts poor people while looking good to rich people and middle class people who think they're rich people but are actually poor people
[Image: Bandit_-_russian_dancing.gif]
Spritanium
(Aug 31, 2017 at 5:33 PM)archer from archer Wrote: middle class people who think they're rich people but are actually poor people

(Aug 31, 2017 at 5:33 PM)archer from archer Wrote: poor people who think they're middle class people who would be rich people if it weren't for poor people

ftfy
Spritanium
I don't think there's been a middle class for like 10 years. Everybody I know is either making $100k+ a year or living paycheck to paycheck
Pedigree
* Pedigree is wishing MW had the mute word feature like on Twitter.
Briraka
(Aug 31, 2017 at 5:58 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I don't think there's been a middle class for like 10 years. Everybody I know is either making $100k+ a year or living paycheck to paycheck

middle class is living by paycheck, poor is being homeless with no job.
Pedigree
the gap between middle class and poor is tiny these days

it's almost like the economy is only working for corporations and billionaires Hmm...

and don't blame Trump entirely, the economy was shit under centrist democrats like Obama too
Aidan
this isn't personal or anything but repeatedly posting pro-trump memes as a joke is the political equivalent of liking a shitty movie and then pretending you only watch it ironically
EH2
The way I see it, it's like flavor in food, Aidan. If you use way too much sugar, salt, or any given spice in the food you eat you get used to it, to the point where you need much more of it to get the "kick". That's how we end up with kidney problems, obesity, and other problems.

Maybe it's the same thing with the information we consume, which crosses over with entertainment: we seek what amuses us. We might at first be squeamish about a certain style of comedy, but if the entire group that we're trying to be a part of is enjoying it, then we grow used to it. In time, we might get bored of the same old song and dance so we seek out something more intense; like how horror film enthusiasts want films to be scarier, or gorier, or darker; metal fans rather have their bands go heavier and darker instead of them mellowing out (which is an actual trend right now in prog metal)...

There might be a point where people no longer can tell if they're in tune with the people around them, because they spend most of their time in communities that constantly push the limit of what's acceptable because they're constantly seeking more and more amusement, to the point where exposure to "the outside world" might cause them something akin to culture shock. Thus the "normie" disdain and defensiveness of their tastes to the point where they feel attacked by "the establishment".

But that's just how I see it. Is there a term for this kind of thing? The whole "getting too used to something to be able to notice it's not normal"? I wouldn't call it addiction because that concept is too extreme for this kinda thing - I'm not talking about people developing a need for opiates, it's more like not being able to enjoy a simple vanilla ice cream because it tastes like nothing to you, because you consume too much stuff that has vanilla extract in it.
Aidan
(Sep 1, 2017 at 7:04 PM)EH2 Wrote: Is there a term for this kind of thing? The whole "getting too used to something to be able to notice it's not normal"?

i would refer to it as desensitization my dude, and it's not healthy
Briraka
EH2: i think the term you're looking for is, "over-indulgence".

also, i like that social analysis of yours. epicurus is one of my favorite greek philosophers, along with diogenes the cynic.

EDIT: desensitization is a lot better, actually. :V
EH2
Oh nice, I knew it was a word I had forgotten.
Puddin
(Sep 1, 2017 at 4:34 AM)Pedigree Wrote: * Pedigree is wishing MW had the mute word feature like on Twitter.

Muting words on MW would be a dangerous move, bigleague.
Shadow the Hedgehog
true, you only have to mute a few words to stop seeing people who gatopost
Spritanium

> checkmate communists

> implying communists can play chess without demonstrating a verifiable need for a chess set

Puddin
(Sep 6, 2017 at 6:11 PM)Spritanium Wrote: > checkmate communists

> implying communists can play chess without demonstrating a verifiable need for a chess set

[Image: pbglgr.gif]