Spritanium
So is everyone ok with removing rally from the postbits and adding a monthly post count?
[Image: supercorrect.png]
God
(Oct 5, 2017 at 6:04 AM)Agastya Wrote: since we're going back to time-based decay maybe the current rally decay could be a temporary item

freezes your rally at the current modifier for x time, either sets it back to 1x after it ends or something in the negative values

also good time to introduce rally x item as well (maxes out rally, rapidly decays, floors at .3 or something where you can finally regain rally again)

interesting idea. i like the thought of some spells/items incurring 'negative' rally.
God
also, what if receiving a Good Shit gave you a slight increase in rally?
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Mario
nice to see progress towards this, we may reach the Promised Forum yet
Pedigree
"- Knockback should be reduced to like 10 or 25%- idk if we should outright remove it but 50% def seems kinda high. Maybe with a low % we can have rally effect it again" -Mario

Agreed. Removing it completely wasn't needed, but I'm fine with reducing it.
Syaxamaphone
I thought I wouldn't really care but now that its in effect I think I hate this rally nerf. I cast a spell and then by the time I come back to post the next day, its already gone. What is even the point?

Time to just never cast spells and save my EX forever.
[Image: NZRK1uk.gif]
Spritanium
The point is to make posts while your rally is up instead of waiting until the next day

The bonus isn't really something to use at your leisure, people never had a problem when there was no rally at all. You pay EX, you get to mess with someone's post, it's a pretty fair transaction and I don't see why it should be easy to make your EX back.

It's like buying a candy bar, getting a coupon for 10% off your next candy bar, and then getting upset that the coupon expires tomorrow. I mean they could've just given you no coupon at all, and the candy bar would've cost the same. The coupon is just to get you to come back and take advantage of a deal; if you miss your chance then you're not really any worse off, because you still got your original candy bar you chose to pay for.

The confusion in this instance seems to be that many people see rally as a mechanic which allows them to be reimbursed for spending EX, but spending EX is the whole game. The ability to cast spells is a reward for contributing to the forum, and rally is a reward for casting spells which in turn urges you to quickly contribute to the forum even more. It's a cycle, and there's nothing else to do with EX, so there's no reason to save it up if not to cast spells.

I'll have to hear from more people but if we really still have this problem with rally, then I would like to remove it altogether because the point of it is being misconstrued; no offense but a lot of people seem to want it to work like a handicap. A simple system of "gain EX, spend EX" would leave less room for confusion
Spritanium
I also think Oracular has a good idea to increase rally when you receive a Good Sh*t, maybe by as high as 0.25
Pedigree
I honestly think removing rally altogether because you don't like the way people see it will only cause a decline in spellcasting altogether.

It'd be like a game developer disabling the jump mechanic because he didn't plan far enough ahead to see where people could go with it. The end result: fewer or no one plays his gimped game despite the fucking "vision" being in tact.

I can already tell you I am never going to cast frame that shit or any other expensive spells again if this is the direction you are planning to take this "game".

We appreciate your work on the features of this forum, but at what point do we stop allowing you to override the will of the community just because we don't have the same vision you do?

Like really, "if you guys don't use this feature the way I want you to, I'm just going to remove it altogether." Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? In fact, do you realize this is pretty much exactly what happened with the split from MFGG? We weren't using the forum the way they wanted so they kicked us out and gimped the forums for years afterward in hopes to keep their vision over fostering their community...
Pedigree
Getting something back as a bonus for casting an expensive spell shouldn't be as controversial an issue. In any game, you get rewards for your efforts, yet here you are claiming that is not intended. Who the hell wants to play a game that doesn't rewards your efforts?
Pedigree
As for spellcasting is the reward... Uhh, make up your mind. You keep saying minus world wasn't going to be just another internet forum and have stated previously that increased activity and posting was never the goal... That it's supposed to be a game
Spritanium
I honestly have nothing to say that can beat the candy bar analogy

You either agree with the concept of having your EX depleted when you spend it, or you don't

If people expect their rally to be high forever then the mechanic is completely pointless and we should just make everything give you 500ex so nobody has to try hard

I've taken way too much time laying out my views on this issue, when all I get back is essentially "if the game is hard then I don't want to play"

(Oct 15, 2017 at 4:14 PM)Pedigree Wrote: Who the hell wants to play a game that doesn't rewards your efforts?

The reward for your effort is getting to cast a spell. When you save up currency in a game and purchase something, you don't think it's unfair that you have less money than you did previously, because the currency went toward something you wanted to buy. Only on MW do people get upset by this, and it's because we introduced this mechanic which people mistook for a free ride that eventually reimburses you for any EX you spend with no effort or drive required. It's just impossible for me to make this any more clear so I might as well stop trying
Spritanium
I just wish somebody, anybody, would recognize the ridiculousness of a mechanic that only exists to make sure you don't have to make any sacrifices or weigh any options when using an attack. I can make a million analogies and compare a million different games, but nobody gets it because they don't want this to be a game. And if it's not a game then it's just another forum, which I'm not personally interested in
Pedigree
I think YOUR disconnect is you assume high rally is like instantly gaining the same amount of EX that the player just spent.

In reality, the player still has to post and play the game more to recuperate their earnings.

Time decay really doesn't work in this low level of activity environment because in order to use it, you basically have to flood the forum Mason style before it runs out.

If you think Max rally is too easy to get too quickly, nerf the rally gains themselves slightly from spells. Getting rid of it completely makes the game less fun to play.
Pedigree
You can make the shop analogy when we can buy items with ex, it doesn't really work for spells
Draku
(Oct 15, 2017 at 4:39 PM)Pedigree Wrote: If you think Max rally is too easy to get too quickly, nerf the rally gains themselves slightly from spells. Getting rid of it completely makes the game less fun to play.
ok, now spells give like no return at all instead of giving you a high return that you have to capitalize on
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Mario
Yeah rally as we know it needs to die. Agastya is right to say it's Never Worked. Oracular introduced it as a way to confront the Old Money players and quite frankly there isn't a single moment it's worked. Even as a Bonus or encouragement for casting spells it doesn't work because it's just not intuitive for that.

We need to head back to the drawing board and figure out what we want with a secondary mechanic.