Another Phone Loses the Headphone Jack

Pedigree
(Oct 5, 2017 at 4:51 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I don't use the 3.5mm jack so it's just an unsightly opening in the phone

Good for you I suppose, but the opening is tiny and you likely would forget it was there if we weren't discussing it specifically in this thread.

I really don't think Bluetooth is a good replacement for a reliable 3.5mm jack. For one there's the possibility of interference which causes signal loss. For two, you don't have to charge a standard set of headphones and they are ready to go as soon as you plug them in.

If you've broken your headphones within three months, btw, that's entirely on you. I've never had that problem. Though I have accidentally sent my earbud headphones through the wash... and guess what? They still work! Doubt you could do that with a $40+ Bluetooth set.
T-man
(Oct 5, 2017 at 4:53 PM)Spritanium Wrote:
(Oct 5, 2017 at 4:51 PM)Pedigree Wrote: ok maybe if music is beamed directly into my head I won't want a 3.5mm jack

but that's a big if

Why is this necessary right now though, what's so bad about bluetooth headphones? (not earbuds)

>expensive

>functionally identical to the inexpensive ones

>you need to charge them

>expensive

The absence of a cord is not legitimate innovation worthy of retiring the old way of doing things.

Like, there are wireless keyboards and mice, but they need to either be charged or have batteries so fuck them.
Pedigree
btw everything needing to be charged in this day and age means I have to unplug more shit to charge other shit and it's a fucking pain in the ass

sometimes I prefer just to switch batteries completely in stuff that takes AAs lmao
Pedigree
for the record I still have an ancient ps/2 type optical mouse because I refuse to go wireless on stuff like that

wireless is cool on some things but some things don't need it
Spritanium
(Oct 5, 2017 at 4:56 PM)Pedigree Wrote:
(Oct 5, 2017 at 4:51 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I don't use the 3.5mm jack so it's just an unsightly opening in the phone

Good for you I suppose, but the opening is tiny and you likely would forget it was there if we weren't discussing it specifically in this thread.
People are different. The jack doesn't bother me too much but apparently the majority of expensive smartphone consumers would rather go without it, otherwise it wouldn't have been removed

Quote:I really don't think Bluetooth is a good replacement for a reliable 3.5mm jack. For one there's the possibility of interference which causes signal loss. For two, you don't have to charge a standard set of headphones and they are ready to go as soon as you plug them in.

If you've broken your headphones within three months, btw, that's entirely on you. I've never had that problem. Though I have accidentally sent my earbud headphones through the wash... and guess what? They still work! Doubt you could do that with a $40+ Bluetooth set.

I've never had interference or signal loss, my headphones charge fully in a few minutes using a standard microUSB cable, and they last a few days without needing to be charged again. You can also use a 3.5mm cable to use the headphones anyway if they're not charged, even though that's not really relevant to this particular discussion

You must take great care of your earbuds because everyone I know is unable to make a pair last longer than a year. We tug on the cords, we wrap them around devices; basically the way we treat these things just through necessity of convenience is the complete opposite of how they should be treated for maximum longevity

And I don't really think it's fair to judge technology by how well it survives when you stick it in the washing machine lol
Spritanium
I really just don't understand all the hate for wireless devices, yeah you have to charge them, you also have to charge your phone every day. For some people, it's easy to get into the habit of doing these things, and the benefits of wireless devices become clear

But the discussion really begins and ends at this point: if you want to use older tech, buy a device that supports it. It doesn't change the fact that this is the way things are heading due to market demand, so there's no use getting upset about it
Spritanium
And still nobody has explained to me how $40 is expensive, even when I bought wired earbuds I would spend at least $20 (and you can get $20 bluetooth headphones that are just fine)

$40 is like, dinner for two at applebees with a couple drinks lol. It's acceptable to pay that for something that will pass out your asshole later, so why isn't it acceptable to pay for a convenient device you'll use every day for a year or more

And don't you guys spend like $60 on video games
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Pedigree
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:02 PM)Spritanium Wrote:
(Oct 5, 2017 at 4:56 PM)Pedigree Wrote:

People are different. The jack doesn't bother me too much but apparently the majority of expensive smartphone consumers would rather go without it, otherwise it wouldn't have been removed
Last I checked a majority of consumers complained about the wireless earbuds and removal of the jack so who the hell was it for? Sure, they bought the device anyways because people gotta have the next big thing, but that doesn't mean they were happy with that change.

Quote:And I don't really think it's fair to judge technology by how well it survives when you stick it in the washing machine lol
Why not, is it because it completely counters your point that they are fragile pieces of junk?

Also, do you have no answer to the fact that standard headphones are plug and play instantly without any fuss?
T-man
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:05 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I really just don't understand all the hate for wireless devices, yeah you have to charge them, you also have to charge your phone every day. For some people, it's easy to get into the habit of doing these things, and the benefits of wireless devices become clear
See, that shit is cool and everything for music enthusiasts who listen to music on their headphones everyday, but for someone like me who only uses them every now and again wireless headphones are a hard expense to justify. It costs nothing to put a headphone jack on a device and no device needs to be so thin that it can't have one. Their removal is motivated entirely out of trying to urge people content with wired headphones to upgrade to more expensive ones. Apple owning Beats makes this incredibly obvious and something absolutely worthy of ire.
Pedigree
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:06 PM)Spritanium Wrote: And still nobody has explained to me how $40 is expensive, even when I bought wired earbuds I would spend at least $20 (and you can get $20 bluetooth headphones that are just fine)

$40 is like, dinner for two at applebees with a couple drinks lol. It's acceptable to pay that for something that will pass out your asshole later, so why isn't it acceptable to pay for a convenient device you'll use every day for a year or more

$40 is expensive because you can get a cheap set of standard headphones for around $10 or less which do the same thing without having to fucking charge them. Not to mention buying cheap Bluetooth shit is a hit or miss endeavor. I've had many Bluetooth devices that constantly drop connection and have shit batteries around that price range so I WILL NOT trust them LMAO.
Spritanium
@Pedigree Do you think these company executives just got around a table one day and said "wait, I have a brilliant idea, let's remove something everybody wants!"

They did market research and determined that at this point in time, people who are willing to spend almost a thousand dollars on a phone, are also willing to spend a few bucks on a wireless set of headphones. Cheaper phones are directed toward a different market segment, and they still have 3.5mm jacks. It's like you're upset about an electric car not being able to take gas, even though you're not about to buy an electric car

Anyway, earbuds last in the wash because it's a completely different type of wear and tear compared to daily use. Pulling on the cords every day will eventually sever the internal connections unless you're overly delicate with them, something you don't have to worry about with wireless headphones. Any electronic can go through the wash as long as you let it dry before using it again.
T-man
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:06 PM)Spritanium Wrote: And still nobody has explained to me how $40 is expensive, even when I bought wired earbuds I would spend at least $20 (and you can get $20 bluetooth headphones that are just fine)

I got 200 hours out of Breath of the Wild for 60 dollars, I don't think I've even used headphones collectively that long for the entire duration of my life. So when I want to use headphones I opt for the cheaper ones because I just don't value them as much. When people say "40 dollars is expensive" I think they mean is "40 dollars is expensive... for headphones"
Spritanium
@Pedigree And having $10 earbuds ISN'T a hit or miss endeavor?

It sounds like for you, taking extra good care of headphones is less of an inconvenience than charging them every few days. For me it's the opposite.
T-man
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:12 PM)Spritanium Wrote: @Pedigree Do you think these company executives just got around a table one day and said "wait, I have a brilliant idea, let's remove something everybody wants!"
...Yes? When you artificially make their old shit obsolete, then they have to go out and buy your new shit which nets you money and don't like, companies want money?
Spritanium
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:14 PM)T-man Wrote:

I got 200 hours out of Breath of the Wild for 60 dollars, I don't think I've even used headphones collectively that long for the entire duration of my life. So when I want to use headphones I opt for the cheaper ones because I just don't value them as much. When people say "40 dollars is expensive" I think they mean is "40 dollars is expensive... for headphones"

So you probably buy cheaper phones too, which have headphone jacks

Like I said, by the time 3.5mm jacks are obsolete and no longer included in midrange devices, it will be because wireless headphones are objectively better, just as affordable, and you'll have no reason to want wired ones
Spritanium
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:15 PM)T-man Wrote:
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:12 PM)Spritanium Wrote: @Pedigree Do you think these company executives just got around a table one day and said "wait, I have a brilliant idea, let's remove something everybody wants!"
...Yes? When you artificially make their old shit obsolete, then they have to go out and buy your new shit which nets you money and don't like, companies want money?

But you don't have to buy a brand new $800 phone, that's what you guys aren't getting

It will be years and years before midrange phones no longer have headphone jacks
Spritanium
I don't really have anything else to add to this discussion, Sudo understood my point immediately lol
Pedigree
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:05 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I really just don't understand all the hate for wireless devices, yeah you have to charge them, you also have to charge your phone every day. For some people, it's easy to get into the habit of doing these things, and the benefits of wireless devices become clear
Okay, so I have to charge my phone. But then I'd also have to charge these Bluetooth headphones as well. Instantly taking up two electrical slots, if they were free in the first place because literally everything requires charging time these days. Electrical slots are already scarce, with dangerous Jerry rigging of power strips into other power strips to power other electronic shit and extension cords because Jesus Christ this room only has two fucking outlets on opposite walls.

Why would I want another device to charge when I could just keep a set of headphones that don't require charging and accomplish the same goal? Oh right, because the mobile market is going to eventually get rid of the jack just to complete with Apple over a feature people don't actually want.
Draku
(Oct 5, 2017 at 4:40 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I just feel like a lot of people who are upset by this are the type of people who prefer to buy $10 earbuds every 3 months instead of investing in a pair of nice headphones that will last years

$40 is not expensive for a product you'll use almost every day, and that will last you longer since there's no wiring to come loose when you pull on it/wrap it around something
i will say that they probably do last longer than the average headphone pair because the wire doesnt get fucked up after a year of use like every other pair of headphones, including expensive ones (which is why i think expensive headphones are bullshit)

but you could use bluetooth headphones on normal smartphones too if you wanted, it's not a unique feature. removing the jack limits your options for no reason (on the consumer's side).
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:18 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I don't really have anything else to add to this discussion, Sudo understood my point immediately lol
This discussion continues probably because "lol u are already spending 800 dollars on a phone why don't you want to spend more on accessories?" is some shitty anti-consumer logic.