Fun With Despair
someone on /v/ said they missed jordan underneath's gaming videos and for a second I felt like a smug ass for sharing a forum with him

that's all just thought I'd share
King Piranha Plant
I like forums I'll share them with you all day bby
King Piranha Plant
But if people don't stop calling me Jordan Underneath I swear to god I'll change my YouTube channel name to Blaine the Train
Mario
forums are great but they just aren't quite there yet in terms of being Modern. I never thought I'd be on my fucking telephone as much as I am but I feel like it's pretty much essential to have a good mobile experience and while MW's isnt _bad_ it's not good either.
Aidan
you can shitpost while you shit what more do you want
King Piranha Plant
One thing I don't get about forums dying in modern day:

Back when we were all addicted to forum communities and loved em, we had, alternatively back then, chatrooms, MSN, AIM, and Yahoo messenger group chats and stuff. Didn't stop us from spending loads of time on forums.

So like, aside from cellphones and boring ass social media, nothing's really changed and forums should still be baller? I know Discord's a little different than just a chatroom, but for me it doesn't quite provide the fun creativity, individuality and atmosphere involved.
Draku
I don't get it either. People used IM clients all of the time, but I guess people didn't really use them much for big chats since that was unwieldy and disorganized unlike Discord's server categories. IRC had such functionality but people didn't bother with it much outside of a select few.

Either way forums are much easier to follow and better for engaging with a community, to me.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Fun With Despair
honestly for me it's because MW runs like dog ass on mobile even now but only like an unpredictable 50% of the time so sometimes it shits the bed in the middle of trying to post some real good shit and I don't feel like retyping it or picking up the shards of my phone after I hurl it at the wall in pure blinding rage

well actually it's better now than it was like a couple years ago but I think that stint of genuinely miserable performance did kind of kill it for some people, which is a shame.

beyond that though I think the other insidious killer of this situation, the secret problem lurking among the usual suspects, is that besides my dumb murder forum game that blew up into a mini-phenomenon across a couple bigger communities, we have a continuously dwindling userbase because people keep up and vanishing sometimes

either way I check this place multiple times a day so if people make threads I'll probably post
Draku
admittedly i've never had an issue with mobile performance other than specific spell combinations but i've also never used mw on anything that isn't a powerful phone

we need to drag spritey back in for some optimization
T-man
ban all toasters from accessing mw
Fun With Despair
actually maybe MW still runs like shit and the reason it works well for me now is because I use an LG V30

either way with my old phone shit sucked
Well; I'll be the one to say Minus World still runs like shit on my phone and I have a Galaxy something. Discord is cool; but there's only so much going on plus a lot of servers are wack. My messages got deleted in the Tales discord because I asked everyone what they think Velvet's feet smell like
Anyway; nothing much going on. I got a new job which I'm trying to make my last shit job I work. I'm gonna go get the world ends with you on the switch today despite people complaining about it because i'm a leader not a bitch. then probably spend the day chilling working on websites/youtube/programming. i luv productive lazy sundays
Draku
(Jun 30, 2019 at 3:52 PM)Fun With Despair Wrote: actually maybe MW still runs like shit and the reason it works well for me now is because I use an LG V30

nah i know for a fact that removing the automention thing improved performance on mobile a ton
Fun With Despair
(Jun 30, 2019 at 7:04 PM)Draku Wrote:
(Jun 30, 2019 at 3:52 PM)Fun With Despair Wrote: actually maybe MW still runs like shit and the reason it works well for me now is because I use an LG V30

nah i know for a fact that removing the automention thing improved performance on mobile a ton
oh yeah, that would always break the postbox because it would constantly check everything you typed

it's been so long I forgot we even had that feature lol
Vertette
(Jun 30, 2019 at 7:04 PM)Draku Wrote:

Wait how the fuck? That feature works fine on my piece of shit phone on other forums, how the hell do you screw that up
Mario
(Jun 30, 2019 at 4:57 AM)King Piranha Plant Wrote: One thing I don't get about forums dying in modern day:

Back when we were all addicted to forum communities and loved em, we had, alternatively back then, chatrooms, MSN, AIM, and Yahoo messenger group chats and stuff. Didn't stop us from spending loads of time on forums.

So like, aside from cellphones and boring ass social media, nothing's really changed and forums should still be baller? I know Discord's a little different than just a chatroom, but for me it doesn't quite provide the fun creativity, individuality and atmosphere involved.

I think people are getting tired of big social media sites so smaller communities are making a bit of a comeback (although part of the problem is not a lot of tech really supported that til now). Discord works for some things but I think we're pretty close to forums making a comeback- the only problem is there really aren't any good options; forum tech has lagged behind forever now . You got like all the old guys like IPB and vBulliten who have fine products but feel closer to minus world than anything too modern out there. Then you got the old open source stuff like mybb, smf, phpbb which feel like they're over a decade old- because they mostly are. and then there's some newcomers like Discourse which are "modern" but don't really Get it. I've never used tapatalk and they've been buying everyone up these days- but I doubt they're much more than 'old forums on a phone'- its just not gonna get people going to the Boards the way it used to be.
Hearts
Tapatalk ruined a forum I've been posting on since I was 10 and I can't even log into my old account anymore. I will never forgive them for this transgression
King Piranha Plant
Back in ancient cities like Pompeii people used to have specific walls in the center of town where they etched messages into about news, culture, and shit talking each other

Forums are vital to the human way of life
Pea
somethingawful had a casual chat thread for games done quick but since agdq2019 the administration (one drunk asswipe) decided to ban that notion and it pissed off a lot of people, so we all just hid in a discord server and made our own little community there.

sgdq2019 was a blast for all in the discord, but they all wished to go back to the forums medium. it's just a better place to post and reminisce.