Mega Man Episode 20: "Curse of the Lion Men" --or-- "AWAKEN, MY MASTERS!"

MoonAge
well i know furries will have a field day with this one at least

This episode is...out there. The writers decided to forgo any sort of threat stemming from the games and instead crafted entirely new villains. Stay with me here: A thousand years ago, a band of barbarians led by Tarr laid siege to a Hawaiian island, but they were defeated and cursed by this kahuna. The curse decreed that in a thousand years, a comet would pass by and bathe the mummies of the barbarians in its golden dust, turning them into uh....lion men (which doesn't make sense on its own because this curse wouldn't happen until the kahuna's tribe had been long gone, basically shoving the problem to the next generation (Also, are these the Pillar Men then?). And of course, exactly that happens, and Tarr and his group of zombie lion men attack all of Hawaii, Dr. Light and Dr. Wily included, by zapping them with heat vision, turning them into lion men. And thus, Tarr promises to take over the world by turning all of humanity into lion men who follow him.

Oh, and Mega Man's in this too, I guess.

This was an...alright episode. Once you have your first wave of "what the fuck" from seeing the Lion Men turning other people into Lion Men, the novelty wears off and not much else happens for the rest of the episode, a one trick pony of sorts. It doesn't really help that this is in no shape or form fitting for the Mega Man series, and it baffles me why they would take a series based on 5 games with plenty of unique bosses and ideas and come up with something straight out of a forgotten sci-fi film from the 50s.

-With production values from the 50s, might I add. Yeah, the budget from season 1, which was already pretty small, is not at all seen here. The animation's more limited, the colors aren't as crisp, it just looks ten years older than it should.

-New Robot Master in the form of Star Man, I guess? He doesn't have much of a spotlight thanks to the obviously more important Lion Men (god, I'm still in disbelief saying that), but what I did notice was that for whatever reason, he had the voice of a seasoned tobacco smoker. In fact, looking at the wiki tells me that the majority of the characters in the entire series were handled by 6 voice actors, with Star Man's also having 16 other Robot Masters. I get that there's not much leeway in getting a new actor for every RM on such a limited budget, and I'm not expecting every voice actor to be Mel Blanc, but come on, I don't look at any Mega Man character and think "oh yeah, he probably has lung cancer". But I digress.

-The way Dr. Light handles the Lion Men after they've been defeated....bugs me. After Mega Man hits them with a device that undoes the curse, turning them back into mummies, instead of disposing of them, Light put them back in their tombs and sealed the door, assuming the comet dust won't open it again. Basically, the Lion Men were as they were a thousand years ago, and Dr. Light just shifted the problem to humanity a thousand years from his time. Maybe that's why everything went to hell between the Mega Man X and Mega Man Zero series, the Mavericks had to deal with muscular lion-human things. Thanks, Light.

Speaking of Mega Man X, that will be the subject for tomorrow's episode.
Draku
this episode is actually the reason the reason i know about this animated series existing. ages ago this particular episode was shitposted about either on mfgg or the U or something and it caused me to watch it. what a beautiful way to be introduced.

LION CREATURES

>This was an...alright episode. Once you have your first wave of "what the fuck" from seeing the Lion Men turning other people into Lion Men, the novelty wears off and not much else happens for the rest of the episode

while you're technically right, the premise alone is entertaining enough to make it work anyways. whoever in the writing room came up with this one better have gotten a raise
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Aidan
lion man is really hard until you realize thorn man's weapon fucks him right up
Draku
(Mar 22, 2020 at 10:37 PM)Aidan Wrote: lion man is really hard until you realize thorn man's weapon fucks him right up
[Image: HhCExhu.jpg]
[Image: s2n7oi.png]