Why do Internet forums tend to prohibit responding to inactive threads?

El Negro
On most Internet forums, it is frowned upon to ‘bump’, ‘resurrect’, ‘necropost’, etc., that is to post in a thread that has been idle for a reasonably long time. On many forums this is a bannable offence. And some forums implement automatic systems that lock any thread after a set period of inactivity. Instead of ‘necroposting’, if the user thinks that a particular topic discussed in an inactive thread is worthy of further attention, they are expected to start a new thread, linking to the inactive one if applicable.

What is the reason for such policy to be imposed?

To be honest, I can’t see any benefit in prohibiting ‘necroposting’. I’ve seen at least one forum that does the opposite: they like to stick to the rule of one forum thread per any possible discussion subject, and it is there a bannable offence not to ‘necropost’ and to start a new thread on a subject that has already been discussed there. I can’t help but it seems to me that this latter policy can help better to reduce mess and keep tidiness.
[Image: z839mDR.png]
Draku
ive never understood this shit. i hate e-peen forum culture
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Stirling
it's cause most moderation use light attribute monsters and they don't want the certain zombie archetypes to gain power since they have anti-light built into their engines
Get it by your own hands.

MFGG Staff Slaying Expert
Kill List
Spoiler:
Assist List
Spoiler:
Mario
there's somewhat of a reason for it, people thinking all the posts are from current day and/or information that is out of date being presented as current can be issues I've seen with bumps. But I guarantee you ask most forums why they do this and they won't even know- it's just something they saw another place do and the place they saw took it from somewhere else as well and so on.

It's also most annoying when places who don't want bumps don't just have the threads auto lock. If you never want people posting in those threads, that's what locks are for...
Superchao
in marioboards, at least, the rule is flexible so that if you DO bump with actual, relevant information that relates to the topic it's all good, you can do it without a problem. but you can also make a new thread if you want rather than search 15 years of backlog, it works either way

the problem is, lots of times you get people going "here is a direct reply to someone who's been gone for six years that doesn't otherwise make a conversation" or "here's a one word post" or even just "they bumped it for shits and giggles"

but we don't autolock because it's easier to handle those case by case than restricting everyone ever
[Image: U7dyPAD.png]
Mario
content-less bumps are already covered by spam rules though, so it never made any sense to call those out like theyre different- tehyre already banned in any thread anyway