kept you waiting, huh (nanoha time bitches)

MoonAge
so i just saw the first nanoha movie and it was preeeetty alright

i know i've been told that most of the hype for nanoha comes from the franchise as a whole rather than this individual series, and while it wasn't anything particularly spectacular, it was still perfectly enjoyable in its own right. besides only three of the characters mattering that much, my main complaint stems from the fact that nanoha herself as a mc is pretty damn unremarkable and doesn't really have any arc of her own to follow

i definitely felt like there was a bigger emphasis placed on the development of fate and precia, which felt relatively compelling....for the most part. for one thing, there wasn't too much thought put into explaining how al hazard held forbidden magic, so if you took out the child abuse parts of precia's character, you wouldn't be incorrect to assume she was doing nothing wrong for her goal. speaking of child abuse i don't necessarily agree with fate still trying to make amends with her surrogate mother even after being treated like shit for most of her life, but i'm not one to project what i would do in that situation onto an entirely different character. still really liked the identity crisis and loneliness parts of her character, at least

as for pure execution, it's certainly pleasant to look at, with an appealing artstyle and dynamic, fluid action scenes. the pacing is a bit off, but that's about to be expected from a compilation movie (which is still a better tradeoff than the og broadcast with fucking weird animation and a slower beginning). overall, the whole experience was a pleasant surprise from the kiddy stuff i thought it was going to be judging by the beginning, and i can definitely see myself watching s2. 7/10

can i go back to my gundam now
Draku
Yeah, the S1/Movie pair is weird, because S1 is mostly about Nanoha as a character and doesn't focus on Fate or show her backstory as much and Precia is largely there to be the villain, whereas the movie doesn't focus too much on Nanoha as a person and instead includes some of what used to be S1 side material explaining Fate's backstory/upbringing more and adds new elements to try to make Precia more sympathetic.

As for Precia doing nothing wrong other than child abuse, do keep in mind she blew up a transport vessel traveling with dangerous lost technology in it specifically to recapture and steal it to achieve her goal. She was doing illegal shit out the wazoo.

Fate still feeling for Precia and being so conflicted over everything is because she has all of Alicia's memories so she still has this vivid image of what she once was in her head. There's also the whole eastern culture thing about how Precia DID give her her life so she respects her for that. I think it makes sense, no one else views Precia the way Fate does. Lindy largely holds her tongue but part of why she adopted Fate at the end was to make sure she could get a better life away from what she saw as an absolutely terrible woman.

Yeah, the movie looks great and the action sequences are done a million times better than in S1 TV. Obviously mostly cutting out the vast majority of the episodes to get from start to the ending area and focus on that more does make for some oddities but even with its issues I think it's the most palatable way to experience the first season.

If you want some Nanoha characterization wrapped up in a nicer package, https://mangadex.org/chapter/263970/1 this manga chapter in particular sheds a lot of light on things.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Aidan
(Nov 30, 2020 at 2:03 AM)MFan168 Wrote: i know i've been told that most of the hype for nanoha comes from the franchise as a whole rather than this individual series,

it comes from REIN-CHAN
READ A BOOK MOTHERFUCKER

[Image: tumblr-mx7s6am-XPY1r2rkwgo2-500.webp]
sealelement
so was he ever going to watch more or is it just the one movie?
100% pure gamer 100%
Draku
(Dec 24, 2020 at 4:54 AM)sealelement Wrote: so was he ever going to watch more or is it just the one movie?
i told him he had to watch s1 and a's when he started

he refuses to watch a's because he has to watch more gundam first even though its literally christmas
sealelement
so the answer is no, huh?
100% pure gamer 100%
Aidan
the answer is no
MoonAge
look you can't fault me for wanting the most authentic experience possible

i'm waiting as long as watchers of the first season did for the second season, letting the hype build up inside
Draku
(Dec 24, 2020 at 5:13 AM)MFan168 Wrote: look you can't fault me for wanting the most authentic experience possible

i'm waiting as long as watchers of the first season did for the second season, letting the hype build up inside
ITS A CHRISTMAS ANIME
MoonAge
eyes wide shut is the only christmas anime i'll ever need, end of discussion
Mario
can we just ban mfan from garrisons already
MoonAge
no need i'm banning myself, no point in taking everyone's attention for a project when i can just start one whenever in a different subboard

"i'll do whatever bottom post says" was three quarters of a shitpost
Mario
then sign it in blood
MoonAge
does it have to be mine