Forum Fights and What We Can Do To Fix Them

We're losing focus in the Discord.
Hopefully this makes things easier to keep track of:
Some say the issue is politics, some say the issue is individuals, some say it's pent up personal beef, others haven't said anything at all.
Speak your piece here

What do you think would be the solution to not having as much fights/arguments?

EDIT: Please don't fucking turn this into a political discussion. Looking at you Money.
Mario
look man fights aren't the problem, #controversial isn't the problem. aidan is the problem.

just kidding.

but realistically conflict is important for the growth and togetherness of community so striving to remove that entirely will only result in brewed up beefs that will explode into big things. This is how we've been approaching this for too long and it simply doesn't work. It doesn't matter how many people you run off the site, how many dead channels you blame for the sites problems.

We just all need to learn to communicate better and respect each other.

edit: sorry, realized my post might be too political for zelma
Hearts
Idk I'll probably go KG-only like so many others lol
(Dec 31, 2020 at 9:13 PM)Mario Wrote: edit: sorry, realized my post might be too political for zelma[/font]

I can follow just fine as long as we don't sidetrack into discussing why a communist manifesto was relevant like in Discord.
Thanks for posting, I agree with your points.
(Dec 31, 2020 at 9:16 PM)Hearts Wrote: Idk I'll probably go KG-only like so many others lol

Hearts if you go KG-only after being so prominent in the discussion on Discord
I won't do shit but I will be disappointed.
This just proves Kesha right when he said you generally have nothing to offer to the convo beyond "stop fighting" "shut up".

I respect your decision regardless.
Hearts
If posting in a community or looking at other people's posts brings me more stress and frustration than enjoyment, why continue? Simple as that. MW isn't as fun as it was when I joined
Mario
I think we should look at ways we can improve discourse here and handle these arguments when they break out better.

Someone suggested banning snarky drive-by comments and I think we might be better off without them. I know Minus World has a snarky nature to it that I wouldn't want to change but some specific types of it do take things a little far. I think whenever anyone wants to jump into a convo to say their piece and leave that's probably not a good sign.

We could also get better at redirecting convos that aren't in the right place. I don't think it was good to have things explode in #entertainment today and I think we can be more mindful of that.
(Dec 31, 2020 at 9:21 PM)Hearts Wrote: If posting in a community or looking at other people's posts brings me more stress and frustration than enjoyment, why continue? Simple as that. MW isn't as fun as it was when I joined

goodbye hearts
Pea
the difference between snarky and witty is that you can make a funny joke without having to resort to someone's personality
(Dec 31, 2020 at 9:22 PM)Mario Wrote: I think we should look at ways we can improve discourse here and handle these arguments when they break out better.

Someone suggested banning snarky drive-by comments and I think we might be better off without them. I know Minus World has a snarky nature to it that I wouldn't want to change but some specific types of it do take things a little far. I think whenever anyone wants to jump into a convo to say their piece and leave that's probably not a good sign.

We could also get better at redirecting convos that aren't in the right place. I don't think it was good to have things explode in #entertainment today and I think we can be more mindful of that.

This is a good point as well.
Generally when an argument happens the rest of that channel seems to go to shit for the next 30min ~ 1hr and usually not because of the people arguing by bystanders arguing about the arguers.
I think unless what you're chiming in is constructive and relevant to the convo; you should probably butt out.
This might be hard to do in a community of teens, but in a community of 20+ year olds this seems more than reasonable.
Aidan
Don't shit on Hearts. The reason they don't post much is because they see a fight whenever they come in. You're proving them right by throwing out snipes in a thread literally made to improve relationships.
Whether you agree with them or not, it's a legitimate problem if someone wants to leave because they see arguments happening all the time.
Mario
I'm not a fan of the classic MFGG motto, "if you don't like it, leave"- I think if you don't like something we should talk it out but go in with the expectation that we can't cater to everyone's whims. Every solution may not be the solution we need.

Dealing with the world of Product Design, people often come up with feedback that identifies what they see as a solution to their problem and not actually identifying the specific problem itself. It comes down to figuring out what is the core issue that needs to be solved. When you solve those core issues rather than just patch on every solution that comes to mind you have something that is much easier to work with and at its core makes sense- rather than explanations for the countless band-aids on top of a gaping wound.

Though if you hate being here, then get out. I don't want anyone to spend a single second of their time on a community they don't even like.
(Dec 31, 2020 at 9:28 PM)Aidan Wrote: Don't shit on Hearts. The reason they don't post much is because they see a fight whenever they come in. You're proving them right by throwing out snipes in a thread literally made to improve relationships.
Whether you agree with them or not, it's a legitimate problem if someone wants to leave because they see arguments happening all the time.

This thread is for discussing ways to solve a present issue in the community to make it more enjoyable for people and stress free. We all acknowledge it's been kind of rough around here lately, that's why we're here.

If Hearts only solution is to go KG-only he can fuck off.
Mario
also thank you zelma for putting this on the forum. it is so hard to discuss things that don't have simple solutions on discord. i don't think anyone was even talking to each other at the tail end of the #entertainment convo and just saying whatever shit they thought was relevant lol
Momoko Koigakubo
(Dec 31, 2020 at 9:10 PM)Zelma Wrote: What do you think would be the solution to not having as much fights/arguments?
Ye have heard that it hath been said, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’. But I say unto you that ye resist not evil, but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if any man will sue thee at the law and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.

Matthew 5:38-40
(Dec 31, 2020 at 9:27 PM)Pedigree Wrote: Where should the arguments move to? Entertainment isnt a good place for it but we already have too many channels and I don't think it's wise to encourage arguments with an arguments only channel.

This might be a bad idea but we won't get anywhere unless we discuss it.

I think beefs/arguments with personal history attached should be handled on the forum.
Discord is simply way too fast paced to have anything resolved in a timely manner without just being sent to the salt-mines or a similar channel.
Now should that be a board on the channel? Probably not, that'd get toxic quickly, but I don't think a thread calling for an open discussion with who you're having an issue with is a terrible idea.
Aidan
Honestly, an argument quarantine zone is probably the best way to handle it. Similar to controversial but specifically when two people want to go at each other. That way you don't have normal discussions turning into pointless fights.
B3ll3
(Dec 31, 2020 at 9:42 PM)Aidan Wrote: Honestly, an argument quarantine zone is probably the best way to handle it. Similar to controversial but specifically when two people want to go at each other. That way you don't have normal discussions turning into pointless fights.
wouldnt that just be dm's?
(Dec 31, 2020 at 9:48 PM)Shygul Wrote:
(Dec 31, 2020 at 9:42 PM)Aidan Wrote: Honestly, an argument quarantine zone is probably the best way to handle it. Similar to controversial but specifically when two people want to go at each other. That way you don't have normal discussions turning into pointless fights.
wouldnt that just be dm's?

DMs would be the ideal way, right?
However we've had some ppl express that they feel uncomfortable having 1 on 1 conversations with
certain members/members they have issues with so this would give mods the opportunity to intervene if things got too out of hand
without referring to he-said-she-said or looking at DM convos.
Stirling
The salt mines already exist.
Get it by your own hands.

MFGG Staff Slaying Expert
Kill List
Spoiler:
Assist List
Spoiler: