geno7
Uh hey so MFGG is 20 now and it's putting me in a weird mood. does anyone feel like doing a thread for just like.. waxing nostalgic about old MFGG shit? I guess? I just feel like rambling. I first joined in like 2005 when I was around 10, and I think I stopped going around the time I was 18ish maybe? I can't remember. It was sort of gradual.

I don't come around here that often because I find I've just kinda drifted away from forums in general as a format and it's lead to me slowly growing more and more out of touch with everyone here but I do genuinely like this place and the people I've fucked around with here. I'm not rly around enough to stay up to date with whatever drama is happening here which is like, maybe a positive?? But I don't know.

And like.. Idk I've grown out of MFGG. I'll pop on there every once in a while if I'm feeling nostalgic just to like, see what's been going on with it, but the days of me visiting the site almost every day are long behind me. I have friends I've met there that I still hang out with, but none of them go on there anymore either, and the site seems like it's become repopulated with younger, fresher faces. Which I think is probably good.

I mean I talked about this over in the thread on there but it's weirdly like, sort of a breeding ground for young aspiring indie devs, almost like the way Second City is a breeding ground for comedians. Being on there was formative. It was bad etiquette to make a thread with an idea for a game and just tell people to make it for you, you either have shit to show for it or your thread gets deleted. And that kinda shit taught me this sort of punk DIY approach to making things that I still have today.

Even though I've sort of drifted away from all this stuff I do still feel rly nostalgic for the times when logging onto MFGG and talking to everyone and playing each others' fangames was just a routine part of my day. I sorta wish I'd finished more fangames. I think I only ever did a couple that were either dumb jokes or just unfinished.
geno7
also as an aside i will never be able to get over how fucking weird it is that mario paint sound effects I ripped when I was 15 ended up being used in undertale and by like, kero kero bonito and neil cicierega
[Image: fsMwICg.gif]
Pea
mfgg just kinda ended up outgrowing itself, this place is sort of active which is genuinely surprising to me but whatever.

however, knowing that i've known some of you for 15 years now is making my hair turn into strands of dust
Draku
i had absolutely no interest in the core part of the site but the community by itself was good enough for me to be partially heading an offshoot of it 15 years later, so it clearly drew the right kind of people in for the most part.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Yrrzy
The weirdest part is wondering how certain people ended up on that site over the last 20 years, theres plenty of people that im like, "why did you join a mario fangame site?"

glad they did tho cause after my interest waned its the people i really stuck around for
Vertette
(Jul 10, 2021 at 2:56 AM)geno7 Wrote: I mean I talked about this over in the thread on there but it's weirdly like, sort of a breeding ground for young aspiring indie devs, almost like the way Second City is a breeding ground for comedians.

by my own count I know of at least 9 (former) mfgg members who have gone on to make/are making commercial indie games, with most of those doing quite well. that's pretty impressive
Mario
mfgg should have been put to death like 10 years ago.
GeneralGuy
I joined MFGG in August 2006 when I was 15 years old and was making fangames until around June-July 2007. After that I stayed for the community and video game stuff. MFGG will always have a special place in my heart.
geno7
in honor of the anniversary i fucking found the first thread i ever made on mfgg when i was 10.

[Image: Czi5WDq.png]
[Image: t7mFtJi.png]

happy anniversary everyone. I hope shanks is doing well, wherever he is
[Image: fsMwICg.gif]
King Piranha Plant
I still get all excited about Mario and old/new fangames and then I get really sad that MFGG is kinda dead.

Crazy that it survived this long though. I should really stop whining about this and direct that energy into like, posting on MFGG more regularly, helping keep it alive and playing/reviewing new fangames.

It's a hard thing to balance into adult life obviously tho
GeneralGuy
(Jul 25, 2021 at 5:19 AM)King Piranha Plant Wrote: I still get all excited about Mario and old/new fangames and then I get really sad that MFGG is kinda dead.

Crazy that it survived this long though. I should really stop whining about this and direct that energy into like, posting on MFGG more regularly, helping keep it alive and playing/reviewing new fangames.

It's a hard thing to balance into adult life obviously tho
Same. I'm gonna try getting more involved with the actual fangame aspect too. Be the change you want to make.
Pedigree
imagine a 60 year old Kritter logging in to tell MFGG how shit it is compared to how it used to be
Pedigree
Congrats on the 20 years MFGG. You are by far the oldest running fangame site and that counts for something.

Next year MFGG can drink, wild.
King Piranha Plant
(Jul 29, 2021 at 4:28 PM)Pedigree Wrote: imagine a 60 year old Kritter logging in to tell MFGG how shit it is compared to how it used to be

Why does this feel so real like a memory that already happened
(Jul 29, 2021 at 8:05 PM)King Piranha Plant Wrote:
(Jul 29, 2021 at 4:28 PM)Pedigree Wrote: imagine a 60 year old Kritter logging in to tell MFGG how shit it is compared to how it used to be

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b7611f05ac555744142189e...y.gif&ct=g]
Aidan
(Jul 29, 2021 at 9:20 PM)Zelma Wrote:
(Jul 29, 2021 at 8:05 PM)King Piranha Plant Wrote:

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b7611f05ac555744142189e...y.gif&ct=g]

fuck you for making me remember Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories 1.5 HD
Vertette
(Jul 29, 2021 at 4:29 PM)Pedigree Wrote: Next year MFGG can drink, wild.

>can drive vehicles at 18

>can die for your country at 18

>can't have a drink at 18

oh america you so silly

Thread Tags

mfgg nostalgia