Poll: Do you put the shopping cart where it belongs after shopping?

Yes
94.12%
No
5.88%
Total: 17 vote(s)

Do you put the shopping cart where it belongs after shopping?

Spritanium
I always return my cart for the same reason everyone else does: it's an extremely easy and almost meaningless act that makes us feel like good people even though we're technically just pitching in to the COGS of a company we just spent money at
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Aidan
(Aug 23, 2021 at 2:08 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I always return my cart for the same reason everyone else does: it's an extremely easy and almost meaningless act that makes us feel like good people even though we're technically just pitching in to the COGS of a company we just spent money at

yeah but the cogs have a shitty life working at a superstore
any time i fuck something up there i assume a dude who has been working there for 30 years has to fix it which is why i run all the way across the store and return shit to the original shelf
Spritanium
Yeah it would be nice if I could have confidence that the people working there are being paid well for misc. tasks such as putting carts away. Unfortunately that's probably not usually the case. I wish there was an easier way to punish companies for offloading labor costs onto their own customers under the guise of politeness (tipping culture is another example of this)
Draku
(Aug 23, 2021 at 2:08 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I always return my cart for the same reason everyone else does: it's an extremely easy and almost meaningless act that makes us feel like good people even though we're technically just pitching in to the COGS of a company we just spent money at
you're not helping the company. you are purely helping out both the people who are trying to make a living that work at that specific building as well as the people who just want to get their groceries for the week. the part that helps the company is you paying money for goods, the company sees absolutely no change from you moving a shopping cart, unless you like, stole it i guess which gives them a bit of a loss in replacing it?
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Vertette

Yes yes, capitalism bad
King Piranha Plant
(Aug 23, 2021 at 2:33 PM)Aidan Wrote:

yeah but the cogs have a shitty life working at a superstore
any time i fuck something up there i assume a dude who has been working there for 30 years has to fix it which is why i run all the way across the store and return shit to the original shelf
Fun fact regarding this, when I worked as a shelver I used to hope the shelves were messed up because I'd get so bored with nothing to do all day. Plus fixing shelves meant I didn't have to go looking for customers to help, it was the most peaceful flow-y part of my day

But this is probably different with every store to be fair, I've known some employees that haaate fixing messed up shelves
Spritanium
(Aug 23, 2021 at 5:41 PM)Draku Wrote: the part that helps the company is you paying money for goods,
Goods that I put into a shopping cart which is conveniently located next to the front door

Edit: to expand on this, the idea that shopping carts being stacked and relocated to the front provides no value to the business rests on the assumption that 100% of customers would happily drag their own random cart from the parking lot into the store if none were available near the front, and that they wouldn't go to another store that has their shit together. I don't agree with that, therefore shopping cart collection is a valuable service worthy of appropriate payment
Spritanium
(Aug 23, 2021 at 5:51 PM)Vertette Wrote:

Yes yes, capitalism bad
Cost of goods sold is just part of any business, not strictly a capitalist model. The issue is more that people feel personal responsibility to help an entity they own no part of, as if the suffering of the employees is supposed to be anyone's fault but the business owner. If the tipping point that makes a grocery store employee turn into the joker is that they have to put away carts sometimes, you have to wonder what else could have been improved about their situation so maybe doing Grocery Store Work at their Grocery Store Job wouldn't be the worst thing in the world

Maybe I'm a broken record tying everything back to economics, but it's just really interesting that in this hypothetical situation, the person who didn't put their cart away - regardless of physical ability or mental stress - is always a scourge or a subhuman, a real lamentable pos, and the person who hired employees who hate their jobs and their lives gets away without so much as a mention lol. You just get to do work for the store and accept your Good Person status as payment
Spritanium
A good example: I don't feel bad for the doctor when he has to stick his finger in my ass, because he's being paid well. I won't rest until I live in a world where grocery store employees can stick their fingers in my ass too
King Piranha Plant
This shopping cart thread is a goddamn experience from start to finish, we've seen romance, heartbreak, deep discussions about business and capitalism. By page 20 this thread will have all of life's emotions packed inside it
Spritanium
My favorite shopping cart moment is when I see a guy who's like 50 riding the thing down the parking lot like he's a kid again. I want to be that guy one day
Aidan
there's no greater rush than entering an empty aisle and going irresponsibly fast with 100 dollars of shit food
sealelement
(Aug 23, 2021 at 11:47 PM)Spritanium Wrote: My favorite shopping cart moment is when I see a guy who's like 50 riding the thing down the parking lot like he's a kid again. I want to be that guy one day

besides spending all of your time on minus world talking trash about vons, what's stopping you from doing this literally right now, just at your current age?
100% pure gamer 100%
Vertette
(Aug 23, 2021 at 10:53 PM)Spritanium Wrote: A good example: I don't feel bad for the doctor when he has to stick his finger in my ass, because he's being paid well. I won't rest until I live in a world where grocery store employees can stick their fingers in my ass too

hell I'd do that for free
Mario
I don't think what you do with the shopping cart really says anything about you, most people put them away for the selfish reason of having one less thing to worry about when getting out of their parking spot, and that's probably the extent of their thoughts about it.

These kinds of secret indicators of what makes a person Good or Bad are just trying to find shortcuts for difficult problems and I don't think they really hold up.
Fun With Despair
i do it as penance for the times where i will move products around in the store just to fuck with people
B3ll3
Why would you use a shopping cart just carry the bags seriously wtf
Spritanium
(Aug 25, 2021 at 4:56 AM)Shygul Wrote: Why would you use a shopping cart just carry the bags seriously wtf
I buy like 7 bags of groceries at a time
Nightwheel
Which one of you voted no, fess up.
sealelement
(Aug 25, 2021 at 10:42 PM)Nightwheel Wrote: Which one of you voted no, fess up.

actually, we can check the results- it's amoeba, who has finally betrayed her true nature
100% pure gamer 100%