How do you feel about the Switch Online Expansion Pack

Fun With Despair
I'm not buying this crap. I've got a steam deck on preorder and I'll emulate everything on there. Fuck Nintendo and fuck this entire thing.

I'd be different if I could pay less and just get the N64 games but I'm essentially paying Nintendo, a company I already hate giving money to, for Animal Crossing (a game I don't like) DLC and whatever other shit they throw in to justify the "expansion pack" prices.
Pea
Yrrzy
[Image: quote-the-easiest-way-to-stop-piracy-is-...-58-16.png]
T-man
Truer words have never been spoken and it's frustrating to see them ignored time and time again.
Mario

It was already overpriced assuming the company that came up with the system could emulate it right, but lol. Nothing here is big enough to NOT get it if you really want it, but what a mess of a console. Other people have been saying it just gets worse with each emulator (gcn to wii to wii u to switch).

Apparently the controllers are sold out, likely for the rest of the year as well. The controls look a bit strange:

[Image: FCmHDCIXsAMe6T-?format=png&name=360x360]
https://twitter.com/FloFluoro/status/145...6035393542

but honestly I remember playing it on the gamecube and having to use the c-stick for some stuff, so it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. Though I guess not having the notches on the stick kinda sucks. https://strategywiki.org/wiki/The_Legend...e/Controls

Spritanium
Man the camera buttons really ended up making N64 emulation more complex than it ever needed to be. It's weird in retrospect that they downgraded from 4 action buttons on the SNES. A bunch of games used the camera controls for actions because they had no other options
[Image: supercorrect.png]
I'm not gonna lie. I got this yesterday to play with my wife since she's never played OoT and....it's fine.

Obviously since it's the Switch you're expecting some kind of quality of life improvements to these games that have basically gone untouched for........over 10 years, but no. It's the same games. To the untrained, non-nerd gamer like myself they play pretty much the same. I don't really notice any input lag or anything. I haven't tried online play or anything like that; I've heard it's shit when it's shit but good when it's good. Overall it does what it was marketed to do; which is play N64 games.

I kind of find myself usually ending up on the opposite side of these kind of things. Is it me or Nintendo fans being probably the worst fanbase in terms of expecting way too much from a company that historically done the bare minimum? Not saying it's right but doing the same thing and expecting different results is insanity as some old guy probably said. The emulation/pirate pill is always readily available to take if youre that unsatisfied with this service. I think this will do for now until my steam deck ships.
Mario
hey everyone, look at this guy! he actually bought the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack!!!
B3ll3
it didnt come with otome games so i didnt buy it
Draku
(Nov 8, 2021 at 2:14 AM)___ Wrote: I'm not gonna lie. I got this yesterday to play with my wife since she's never played OoT and....it's fine.

Obviously since it's the Switch you're expecting some kind of quality of life improvements to these games that have basically gone untouched for........over 10 years, but no. It's the same games. To the untrained, non-nerd gamer like myself they play pretty much the same. I don't really notice any input lag or anything. I haven't tried online play or anything like that; I've heard it's shit when it's shit but good when it's good. Overall it does what it was marketed to do; which is play N64 games.

I kind of find myself usually ending up on the opposite side of these kind of things. Is it me or Nintendo fans being probably the worst fanbase in terms of expecting way too much from a company that historically done the bare minimum? Not saying it's right but doing the same thing and expecting different results is insanity as some old guy probably said. The emulation/pirate pill is always readily available to take if youre that unsatisfied with this service. I think this will do for now until my steam deck ships.
The thing about this is, it costs a good chunk of money, much more than the base online service so you are essentially paying ONLY for the N64 games, and the emulation is WORSE than it was on Virtual Console, which itself had problems. I don't think anyone expected more than the bare minimum, but the issue is that they failed to meet even that.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Vertette
You forgot you also pay for Genesis games, but apparently that emulator was pretty minimum effort too
(Nov 8, 2021 at 2:46 AM)Mario Wrote: hey everyone, look at this guy! he actually bought the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack!!!
I bought happy home designer too.
(Nov 8, 2021 at 4:30 AM)Draku Wrote:
(Nov 8, 2021 at 2:14 AM)___ Wrote: I'm not gonna lie. I got this yesterday to play with my wife since she's never played OoT and....it's fine.

The thing about this is, it costs a good chunk of money, much more than the base online service so you are essentially paying ONLY for the N64 games, and the emulation is WORSE than it was on Virtual Console, which itself had problems. I don't think anyone expected more than the bare minimum, but the issue is that they failed to meet even that.
Yeah, like I said, to the average gamer you're not even going to notice all the defects with the emulation. Only during typing this did I think "Oh yeah I guess the fog when you're running around Kokiri Forest did look slightly different than back when i played it 15 years ago". Probably the wrong move to say "It wasn't that bad" in a thread full of Nintendo doomer posting but at least my first impression was enjoyable. There was no way I was digging out my N64 or Wii U to play some of these anyway.

Stay tuned for my review of Pokemon Brilliant Diamond bros.
Spritanium
(Nov 8, 2021 at 2:14 AM)___ Wrote: I kind of find myself usually ending up on the opposite side of these kind of things. Is it me or Nintendo fans being probably the worst fanbase in terms of expecting way too much from a company that historically done the bare minimum? Not saying it's right but doing the same thing and expecting different results is insanity

They keep doing the bare minimum because people keep giving them money for the bare minimum. I'm not "expecting too much from a company" by criticizing the value of their offerings relative to their cost
Spritanium
Also it's so weird to excuse emulation errors on an official emulator lol. People have been pouring their hearts and souls into emulating these games perfectly over the last quarter-century, and those emulators are all free. Why does Nintendo deserve anything but scorn and ridicule for asking us to pay for one that's worse
Vertette
its not the worst emulation ive ever seen but its still bizarre that the wii had better emulation than this. the new nes and snes emulators they use for nso is pretty good so i dunno what the fuck happened here, should get nerd again next time
(Nov 9, 2021 at 5:52 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Also it's so weird to excuse emulation errors on an official emulator lol. People have been pouring their hearts and souls into emulating these games perfectly over the last quarter-century, and those emulators are all free. Why does Nintendo deserve anything but scorn and ridicule for asking us to pay for one that's worse

It's not that weird. What is weird is expecting other people to have the same hate boner for Nintendo that you do.

I've seen in "input-lag", comparison videos, and a lot of gamer rage from people who were never going to get this in the first place. My point was that average person isn't really going to notice any of these things. A stupid point to make in retrospect since we have a lot of diehard Super Mario 64 fans itt and I should've known that wasn't going to resonate. Do I still think it's worth the asking price? Not exactly; I think there should've definitely been more games available at launch considering how long it took for this to even happen and the errors that do exist are, as you said, inexcusable for a multi-million dollar company

but I simply just don't give that much of a fuck and neither should you.
Spritanium
Why do people do this thing where they imagine I care so much about a subject just because I typed an argument for/against it. I don't hate Nintendo, I'm merely a genius
Spritanium
Unironically though I do hate when people volunteer themselves as cheerleaders for a megacorp that earns more money in a week than your entire bloodline ever will. And you're paying them for the privilege lol
Spritanium
And I mean, hate boner?? I guess you could call it that. My counterpoint would be that "loving" a corporation is the single most pathetic thing a human being can do. I love a lot of the content that productive people working for Nintendo have come out with. But Nintendo itself? It can get fucked, I hope it goes bankrupt tomorrow, I literally wish the content was coming from anywhere else on earth.
(Nov 10, 2021 at 8:08 PM)Spritanium Wrote: And I mean, hate boner?? I guess you could call it that. My counterpoint would be that "loving" a corporation is the single most pathetic thing a human being can do. I love a lot of the content that productive people working for Nintendo have come out with. But Nintendo itself? It can get fucked, I hope it goes bankrupt tomorrow, I literally wish the content was coming from anywhere else on earth.

Do you feel this way about all corporations or just Nintendo?