Mario
And don't get me wrong, I have grips with Odyssey. It's a Nintendo game, after all, they're going to fuck up things you'd think they'd hit out of the park.

But what's really surprising about it is how it's a game that actually... respects your time once you GET what it's doing. The number of moons is supposed to be daunting- you're supposed to do what you feel like and maybe get to come back and have more things to do when you're ready for it. And the game tries to push you in that direction without outright telling you or anything. It blows me away Nintendo would do this, since they're the ones that brought us forced motion control* shit everywhere and whatever else. They managed to combine a sandbox and a fully fleshed out game design into one thing where usually you only have that option of a sandbox open world engine test vs a linear tailored game experience. Does it all work all of the time? No, of course not, but it's the first game I really see that takes those ideas together and fleshes them out in a way that feels complete.

*yes it also has motion controls and they are also horrid, but I promise you they're only necessary for like five moons.

nothing wrong with a more linear game tho or a more focused world I haven't played super mario 3d world too much or bowser's fury yet and that seems like a blast when I get to em
Draku
bowser's fury is fucking excellent, i really loved what they did with it even with the clear budget limitations due to being a packin title. 3d world was super fun with friends but obv is a linear platformer deal
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Two_Finger
bowser's fury was really cool
Hearts
Odyssey is good because it has Shiverians

[Image: default_40681Shiverian.png]

I 100%ed the game with my brother, I guess the sheer quantity of stuff to do is less daunting when you're taking turns with someone and can leave all the shitty moons like the jump rope to them. Some of the moons are definitely lame ass filler but I think the quantity of good moons was still high enough. I remember actually liking the hint art though so maybe don't trust my opinion of what a good moon is
Yrrzy
Odyssey su-

(Mar 9, 2022 at 11:33 AM)Hearts Wrote: [Image: default_40681Shiverian.png]

Odyssey slaps actually
Spritanium
Yeah I really like how Odyssey feels so impossibly big that it's hard to get the urge to 100% it, and it's unclear what 100% actually means since I'm pretty sure you can just keep buying moons. "Open world" stuff for me is less about collecting things and more about happening upon them, taking the world in etc

Mario 64 really is the perfect straight-up collectathon though. Sunshine really fucked it up by making the blue coins so ridiculously obscure with no checklist. I would like to see another Mario game where there aren't really any location-dependent story beats and the only metric of progress is how many Shiny Objects you have, no matter where you got them from
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Draku
(Mar 10, 2022 at 4:57 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Mario 64 really is the perfect straight-up collectathon though. Sunshine really fucked it up by making the blue coins so ridiculously obscure with no checklist. I would like to see another Mario game where there aren't really any location-dependent story beats and the only metric of progress is how many Shiny Objects you have, no matter where you got them from
bowser's fury is a step in this direction again, hence why i'm praising it so much in this thread
Spritanium
I need to try replaying Bowser's Fury at some point, it didn't really grip me but I think that's because nostalgia is my main Gamer Fuel these days
Fun With Despair
I would like to try bowser's fury but i don't like 3D world enough to justify buying it again
Spritanium
3D World is a fun thing to play when friends are over and you've had enough of Party/Kart, but it's still crazy to me that it was the main Mario title on the Wii U
Aidan
(Mar 10, 2022 at 5:57 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I need to try replaying Bowser's Fury at some point, it didn't really grip me but I think that's because nostalgia is my main Gamer Fuel these days

at nintendo hq: FUCK ADD MORE MARIO 3 BLOCKS
Draku
(Mar 10, 2022 at 8:32 PM)Aidan Wrote:
(Mar 10, 2022 at 5:57 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I need to try replaying Bowser's Fury at some point, it didn't really grip me but I think that's because nostalgia is my main Gamer Fuel these days

at nintendo hq: FUCK ADD MORE MARIO 3 BLOCKS
god jesus do i fucking despise smb3

BOOM BOOM NEEDS TO GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE ALREADY
Mario
(Mar 10, 2022 at 6:13 PM)Spritanium Wrote: 3D World is a fun thing to play when friends are over and you've had enough of Party/Kart, but it's still crazy to me that it was the main Mario title on the Wii U

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Definitely didn't grab my attention or imagination the few times I picked it up but I probably just wasn't in the mood for it.

I think it's cool that they've been able to translate the way the 2D games were more level based into 3D like they have and it really reached a fantastic level with 3D world for sure. Putting co-op in there too is such a great idea- we grew up with multiplayer usually being like, its own kind of game, or worse, swapping turns in mario lol but it's great you can finally play these games with other people at once.

And really it makes sense. The early attempts at 3D that lead to Super Mario 64 had a lot to do with resource constraints at the time. What it takes to build a level is just so different from 2D and 3D, of course they're going to want to get more out of each level with various than try to have 100 single purpose ones. It makes sense we moved past that.

I think Odyssey is a great sendoff to that style though. I dunno if they'll make more with it or push that style of game anymore. I don't really think they need to. There is opportunity for more interesting worlds, or even building on world concepts they could have done more with for sure, but if Odyssey is the last game like that we see then I dunno, I feel like we got a good deal.

It'll be interesting to see what's next in store for 3D Mario. I think Bowser's Fury tries to make those world's collide and I just don't know how it'd work on a larger scale than what it is, so I'm not sure it's even a hint of what's to come rather than just an ideally sized extra they had room to make.
Spritanium
Kinda feels like they'll just do an Odyssey 2 in the vein of Galaxy 2. The complete lack of DLC with new worlds suggests to me that they've been putting all those ideas into a new game

Either that or the next main series Super Mario is a tie-in with the movie, which would be really funny