Talk about your game experiences!

Reeb
I thought about it, but I probably will want to play it a few years down the line. Getting a new computer relatively soon isn't too wildly out of the realm of possibility for me.
Draku
(Apr 10, 2022 at 8:41 PM)Reeb Wrote: I did finish the Master Chief Collection not that long ago, though, co-oping pretty much the whole thing through. It was disappointing to find that Halo 2 is the worst ported thing in the collection; in spite of it being remastered most recently and thus hilariously enough having the best graphics in the entire package if you choose to enable them, it runs the worst and's the only one that I had to resort to completing a few levels offline in because it was interspersed with several crashes. The final level of the campaign was outright incompletable with friends along; every time we did it, we'd crash during the first skirmish two or three minutes in. Otherwise it was a pretty enjoyable experience.
It's not even the port job per se, apparently the Halo 2 Anniversary version has always been broken. I was trying to troubleshoot The Oracle being uncompletable on coop due to guaranteed crashes late in the level and was finding threads from the console release talking about the issue.

Only huge issue I ran into myself but the whole thing is apparently just a big minefield.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Two_Finger
after pumping 200 hours into elden ring with my brother within the first two weeks of it being out, I decided it was finally time to tackle the kings field games
KF1(jp) is something I played sorta halfway through a couple months ago and just didn't finish because I ran into some issues, so I just jumped right into KF2 (kings field 1 never got released outside of japan so kf2 and kf3 are known as 1 and 2 for overseas releases)
KF has you crawling a 5 floor subterranean dungeon which is nice and all but then KF2 has you exploring the entirety of a smallish island which does a super good job of balancing location flavor with level design
it's a bit tired of a comparison but I feel this is the most appropriate use of it, KF2 is the DARK SOULS of kingsfield
and by this I mean that the way the world is laid out in Dark Souls really feels like it was taking after this specific installment of it's predecessors, there's striking similarity in the flow of traversing from area to area and within the areas themselves
I'd compare KF1 to demons and KF3 to... idk it's weird. after the tightly knit yet sprawling area design with some verticality that KF2 gave us KF3 comes in with these hublike town areas that are largely open empty space with a few houses and npcs here and there, and then they give you a hallway to the next dungeon area which is almost entirely self contained and disconnected except for yet another hallway to another town with nothing in it. KF3 at least came with a bunch of QOL improvements and an attempt at making combat a little better
overall pretty enjoyable games for me
I'd mention King's Field: The Ancient City, released after a 5 year gap unlike the 1 year between each of the others, here too but I only got a few hours into it before getting pulled away to and distracted by the other dozen games I've played in the meantime like tunic, kirby, rune factory 5, lego starwar, and whatever the fuck else I played I don't remember I should write this shit down somewhere
[Image: GrFo47K.jpg]
Aidan
jesus christ
king's field put me to sleep but shadow tower abyss is lit. still glacial pace but you get guns and shit which helps a lot. also the areas are insane like silent hill basically so it's fun just wandering
Pea
because of dreamsettler and slayer x being announced i decided to try out hypnospace. frame 1 the game just hits me with that dank aesthetic and i'm all for that. cant wait to play more of it
Reeb
Master Chief Collection added a mode to fight Flood in it, so I'm back to doing that. Can't get enough of fighting the Flood.
Yrrzy
they were honestly the most boring part of halo for me
cool as fuck conceptually and visually, but the gameplay of them was so boring
Yrrzy
[Image: noita-20220412-175603-1863243190-00173295.gif]
anyway im still making Mistakes in Noita every day
rtsmarty
(Apr 7, 2022 at 8:36 AM)Hearts Wrote: Awoofy is a friend

Two_Finger
today, still on a kingfs field kick, I bought and played Lunacid, something heavily inspired by KF and currently in early access with a fair amount of content on it's ea release, for like 10 hours
her'es a twitter post with a clip of gameplay and music and stuff from the creator which somebody might recognize maybe from idr what it was I never paid any attention to that part
it sort of solidly captures a similar feeling while doin a bit of it's own thing which is cool
here's an image [Image: unknown.png]
Yrrzy
sometimes u pog
[Image: noita-20220415-223856-1338558442-00451254.gif]

sometimes u frog......
[Image: noita-20220414-185324-882431006-00032385.gif]
Reeb
(Apr 12, 2022 at 10:18 PM)Yrrzy Wrote: they were honestly the most boring part of halo for me
cool as fuck conceptually and visually, but the gameplay of them was so boring

I don't think the Flood really came into their own as a gameplay element until Halo 3, where they were then promptly underused and got to be in, like, four levels.
They had better A.I., more versatile and dangerous tactics than "Haha WHOOPS that guy has a rocket launcher and no self-preservation instinct", and the Pure Forms to add diversity. Sucks that they also inhabit the Cortana level, one of the worst things that ever slipped into a Halo game.
The bonus mode for them includes the Halo 3 versions, so it's sick.
Yrrzy
spent my entire day on a 9-hour Noita run where i got some sick wands
[Image: noita-20220417-201511-1588473535-00199780.gif]
after all that i got Wormed in a way so unimpressive i didnt even record it
B3ll3
ive been playing elden ring today and i really wish torrent could triple jump like in mario 64 hoping thats an upgrade i can get at least
Pea
finished hypnospace outlaw
Aidan
that final fantasy thing sucked weiner so i went to play God Eater 3 instead. review: it is the only fun monster hunter game.
Reeb
I mentioned upthread that I've been playing the Master Chief Collection, specifically firefight in the new Flood mode that just came out.

Midway through one of the matches my buddies went down and I was the last man standing with no extra lives left, so I had to beat a wave on Legendary by my lonesome.

Inspiration struck: This being a new game mode meant that 343 Industries must have programmed it themselves. That means they had to figure out how the Flood would pathfind on the ODST maps we were running, something they weren't originally in. 343 sucks at everything and half-asses whatever they think people won't pay attention to. Hell, they did a bad job with the Master Chief Collection and it took them ages to polish it up, and the Halo 2 port STILL sucks! I knew what I had to do, racing for a dead end and leaping on a bench.

The Flood stopped dead, some of them shuffling almost completely in place, and then gradually began to trickle back out through the tunnel they came in from. My buddies on spectator cam, baffled, reported that they were circling on the ground above me.

The rest of the round was spent methodically punching zombies to death and retreating to my safe zone since the effect that makes all weapons have fuckall for ammo was on alongside others that made them tough as hell.

Nothing kills fun more than remembering a hollow, shitty shell of a company's encapsulated one of your childhood favorites and you can win by going "I bet they didn't think about what'd happen if I stood on an object."
sealelement
they added a cross bow to deep rock galactic and thats pretty sick. i played for 6 hours yesteday
100% pure gamer 100%
Reeb
On an entirely unrelated note, I've been playing the Ace Attorney Trilogy. Shoutout to everyone who recommended it; I'm only four cases in but it's really enjoyable so far. Phoenix is a refreshingly fun protagonist, and deftly avoids the usual VN pitfall of being the obligatory boring character that has to keep everything grounded in reality. He's relatable and simultaneously just as quirky as the universe around him.

The cases've had ups and downs. 1-1 was the tutorial so obviously there's not much to write home about other than Phoenix's lame puns, which I dearly love. 1-2 caught me off-guard by the nature of it and was a good establishing measure of what to expect in this series; I did not expect April May to get to make so many sexual innuendos in what I'd assumed was Babby's First Legal Game, but I guess when you're openly discussing people being killed you don't have to throw as much to the wayside for censorship's sake.

1-3...1-3 sure happened. I've been trying to make it a habit of thinking through these cases as they go and was only missing a few vital pieces by halfway through the investigation of Day 2, and it felt like even though I'd solved everything it wasn't just getting the characters into place to actually let me solve it that was frustrating me, but also the pacing. I've heard before that Case 3 is almost always the bad case, and it did not impress. Still wasn't awful or anything, though, and Edgeworth's turnaround at the end made me invested again.

Speaking of Edgeworth, 1-4 has been great. Dealing with another prosecutor, especially one as overwhelming as von Karma, is a welcome change of pace, though I wasn't anywhere near getting sick of Edgeworth. This dude's got so much presence and unrealistic levels of control over the universe around him that coupled with his interjection lines he seems like some kind of fucking legal demon sent here to disrupt what little legitimacy the court in Phoenix Wright can maintain.

As for how far I've gotten, about here.

[Image: unknown.png]

I don't think I've ever seen a message that gave me so much dread.

Please don't make me cross-examine the parrot.
Aidan
(Apr 29, 2022 at 8:25 PM)Reeb Wrote: Please don't make me cross-examine the parrot.

you fool.