name south park moments you vaguely remember and spritey says what season they're fro

Spritanium
This has nothing to do with Family Guy but I am doing it with Seal's express permission

We all have a somewhat problematic IP that we still love and have weird encyclopedic knowledge of, and for me it's South Park. Post your random memories and I will use my giant brain to try and tell you the season + the name of the episode if I remember

I will also probably talk about the episode at great length and how I feel about it
[Image: supercorrect.png]
sealelement
earth is a tv show and the aliens want to cancel it and destroy earth
100% pure gamer 100%
Spritanium
(May 17, 2022 at 4:22 PM)sealelement Wrote: earth is a tv show and the aliens want to cancel it and destroy earth

I think this is the premier of season 7. The episode is called "Cancelled"
Aidan
Some guy really has to shit and he spends the whole episode shitting
Yrrzy
the really really transphobic one where transitioning is compared to wanting to be black or a dolphin and they show real life footage of a vaginoplasty
Spritanium
(May 17, 2022 at 4:58 PM)Aidan Wrote: Some guy really has to shit and he spends the whole episode shitting

I'm pretty sure you're talking about "More Crap" which I want to say was season 11 or 12

South Park loves to indulge the popular critique that they do nothing but fart/poop humor (even though they don't actually do that much of it). So iirc they made this episode immediately after a different episode won an Emmy. Randy spends the whole episode trying to earn the guinness world record for the biggest dump, and in the end when he succeeds I think he actually grabs the Emmy from across the 4th wall and sticks it into his giant shit log.
Spritanium
(May 17, 2022 at 5:02 PM)Yrrzy Wrote: the really really transphobic one where transitioning is compared to wanting to be black or a dolphin and they show real life footage of a vaginoplasty

"Mr Garrison's Fancy New Vagina", Season 9 Episode 1, probably the worst/most misguided episode of all time and the main one that makes me embarrassed to be a fan

I will say the episode improves if it's viewed as a story about the psychotic doctor character, who keeps giving people hack-and-slash operations with absolutely no hormone therapy or even an interview process. Mr Garrison is a gay man and an extreme bigot who hates himself, and a story about him arbitrarily changing his sex to circumvent his homosexuality and then experiencing extreme dysphoria could've been pretty funny, if only the show had a transgender character portrayed in a positive light to balance things out. As it stands it's hard to make excuses for it and it's hard to measure the negative impact it had on the lives of real trans people. South Park is always better when it punches up

If anyone is interested in a slightly better trans episode check out "The Cissy" from Season 18. Near the end of the ep a character delivers a monologue about how when a person isn't allowed to be themselves, everybody loses. It ends up with an unmistakably pro-trans message, but they still don't have an actual trans character!!! Just some cross-dressers. It confuses the whole plot, and they could actually tell some decent stories on this subject if they'd just draw a goddamn trans character who actually looks like the gender they present as without it being a joke. This is an area I hope to really see them improve, like they have in many others
Aidan
(May 17, 2022 at 5:06 PM)Spritanium Wrote:
(May 17, 2022 at 4:58 PM)Aidan Wrote: Some guy really has to shit and he spends the whole episode shitting

I'm pretty sure you're talking about "More Crap" which I want to say was season 11 or 12

South Park loves to indulge the popular critique that they do nothing but fart/poop humor (even though they don't actually do that much of it). So iirc they made this episode immediately after a different episode won an Emmy. Randy spends the whole episode trying to earn the guinness world record for the biggest dump, and in the end when he succeeds I think he actually grabs the Emmy from across the 4th wall and sticks it into his giant shit log.

Yeah I think that's it. That's the only episode I watched start to finish. Season 11 says wikipedia
Spritanium
(May 17, 2022 at 5:24 PM)Aidan Wrote: Yeah I think that's it. That's the only episode I watched start to finish. Season 11 says wikipedia

I think a big reason SP is so hit-or-miss is that because each episode takes only 6 days to make, a lot of them end up being complete shitposts (in this case literally) that only make sense in an extremely specific context. Like the Star Wars prequels, the bad parts can actually become good if you understand enough about the surroundings, but it's hard to actually recommend getting into lol
Reeb
(May 17, 2022 at 5:14 PM)Spritanium Wrote:
(May 17, 2022 at 5:02 PM)Yrrzy Wrote: the really really transphobic one where transitioning is compared to wanting to be black or a dolphin and they show real life footage of a vaginoplasty
Near the end of the ep a character delivers a monologue about how when a person isn't allowed to be themselves, everybody loses. It ends up with an unmistakably pro-trans message, but they still don't have an actual trans character!!! Just some cross-dressers. It confuses the whole plot, and they could actually tell some decent stories on this subject if they'd just draw a goddamn trans character who actually looks like the gender they present as without it being a joke. This is an area I hope to really see them improve, like they have in many others

It's entirely possible I'm biased because South Park is...well I'm gonna be blunt I think it's hot garbage, but considering all the things South Park loves to take potshots at, shit on, spotlight, and jump between playing positively or negatively, this sounds decidedly like taking a stand in the wrong direction. If they wanted to come out and give an actual pro-trans message and introduce a trans character they've demonstrated the flexibility and willingness to spit in the network's eye to convey a message before.

More on topic, when's the first time the Devil shows up?
Spritanium
Satan first shows up in the very first season, in the same episode as his son Damien, who is never seen again because he's not very interesting

And yeah I agree with that fully. I think the creators of south park are exceptionally hardworking and funny people who have unfortunately tended to wield the influence they have over public thought in a pretty cynical way. They're at their best when the humor comes from (terrible) human relationships or from roasting celebrities, and usually at their worst when they're trying to make a point about something they don't seem interested in understanding. I think as they've gotten older they've gained a ton more empathy and it shows in the scripts, but I wish they were more willing to normalize trans characters as people with depth beyond the gags, like they did with gay and disabled characters
Spritanium
And it's not even that they have a bunch of right-wing-pandering transphobic gags, I would've tuned out if that were a more regular thing. It's just a total lack of representation in any form for the most part, which is par for the course (something this show is famously not supposed to be)
Pea
fuck
Spritanium
Is this an allusion to a moment where someone says "Fuck" or is it just you saying fuck

If the former, what comes to mind is South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut when Cartman finishes singing "Kyle's Mom is a Bitch" with a big jazz flourish and then turns around to find Kyle's mom standing right behind him. He proceeds to say "Fuck"
Mario
when they awaken the demon of the forbidden words

free hat

the justice league of religious people

that time people from the future come back to the past and they make the world a better place to make them go away
Spritanium
I'm gonna do all my answers in comic sans to make the bbcode slightly easier

(May 19, 2022 at 4:33 AM)Mario Wrote: when they awaken the demon of the forbidden words
The whole Cthulhu thing is in the later seasons and I have a hard time remembering those lol, I think it's like Season 16? My favorite part of that trilogy is the superhero Captain Hindsight, who after being bitten by a retroactive spider gained the ability to come up with preventions against problems that already occurred.

(May 19, 2022 at 4:33 AM)Mario Wrote: free hat
This must be Season 6 because they were hanging out with Tweek while Kenny was deader than usual. This one is a classic and the humor in it is super lighthearted and harmless. After seeing a re-release of E.T. that replaced the guns with walkie-talkies, the kids decide to make some kind of PAC/protest group to stop directors from digitally-altering their existing movies. They try to get people to attend their meeting by putting up flyers advertising a "free hat", but then hundreds of townspeople show up in support of Freeing a man named Hat who was put in prison for killing a horde of babies (in self defense). I really like this episode because it doesn't really try to make much of a controversial statement (nobody I know likes "new versions" of movies) and it just goes off the rails with a misunderstanding that leads to an A and B plot which never even converge again.

(May 19, 2022 at 4:33 AM)Mario Wrote: the justice league of religious people
"Super Best Friends", This is Season 5 and it's one of the episodes that they removed from streaming services because it depicts Muhammad. Really a bummer because it's also a pretty funny episode. I love the part where they defeat a giant stone Abraham Lincoln by summoning a giant stone John Wilkes Booth to shoot it

(May 19, 2022 at 4:33 AM)Mario Wrote: that time people from the future come back to the past and they make the world a better place to make them go away
I couldn't remember if this one was Season 7 or Season 9, looked it up and it's actually Season 8, oops. I can tell you the episode is called "Goobacks". The townspeople struggle with immigrants from a future time portal who are willing to do their jobs for less money since the future Sucks. This culminates in the townspeople deciding to have a massive gay orgy so they'll never have children, meaning there won't be a future for the immigrants to come back from. Eventually they realize that a more sensible solution is to just work to improve the world so that it'll be a nicer place to leave future generations. They try this for awhile, planting trees and recycling in a cheery montage - until they finally decide this solution is "even gayer than a bunch of guys having sex in a pile", after which they return to the gay orgy I'd fug it I don't have much to complain about with this one, because it treats the whole thing really farcically and it doesn't shy away from the obvious fact that the solution to most of our problems is to just collaborate more instead of shutting each other out, invest in humanity, etc. Just basic common sense ideas that everyone knows, but people are too enamored by their individualism, to the point where they'll literally fuck each other and doom the world. Not a bad commentary really. It's a great example of the show's cynicism but at least it's funny
Mario
season 16? thats way too far, I meant the one about the word shit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Hits_the_Fan
Spritanium
Oh I read that as "worlds" lol

It Hits the Fan is Season 5 I think