I'M BACK AND THE FAMILY GUY TREE GARRISON LIVES (Season 1)

sealelement
This one really took a lot out of me. It was only six episodes, and yet it just took me so long to actually get the energy to go through them and get the characters. After having thought about it, I think Family Guy really takes until season 3 to find its footing and do some of the better gags, and it really does get more memorable and watchable after the revival. I mean it is still Family Guy, and there's a LOT to dislike even at it's "best," but with one exception this first season is a particularly bland slog.

I think at this stage, Family Guy is still trying to be diet Simpsons. The show makes a greater attempt to incorporate the entire family into the plot; we are far away from the days where Brian, Stewie, and Peter generally outshine the rest of the cast, and where everyone is a little more slapstick. Like I've observed before, everyone plays their characters generally straight; Lois is a housewife who wants more out of life, but not to a wacky extent yet; Meg is just a boring teenager instead of the over the top parody that in my opinion is a serious improvement; even Chris still sucks, but they try to put more emphasis on his relationship with Peter and his passion for drawing that ultimately becomes totally irrelevant after Season 3.

Out of this bunch, there's one episode that I particularly connected with, and it's Episode 4, Mind Over Murder. Yeah, so, I should also explain real quick: none of the early Season 1 episodes have anything to do with murder or death, and yet they all have weird murder mystery names. I did some Google Fu, and found that apparently, Seth MacFarlane is a big fan of radio programs from the 1930s and 1940s, and in particular, the radio thriller anthology Suspense, which is why the early episodes had those titles apparently evocative of that show, per the Season 1 DVD commentary.

Anyways, Mind Over Murder is a fun episode. Peter gets put under house arrest for punching a pregnant woman (okay that's not so fun), and then makes a bar in his basement for his friends to hang out at. Lois gets mad but eventually starts singing and performing big band musical numbers as this bar becomes progressively larger and crazier. It's the first musical episode in a series where the creator LOVES musicals and has relatively frequent and really good musical numbers, and unlike most of the early episodes, the character stuff that is here and being played straight between Peter and Lois actually works pretty nicely. I would go so far as to say this is one of the high points of all of Family Guy, in my eyes.

That said, there's also two kind of racist, or at least, poorly aged episodes? BUT: while I have gone through all of the episodes with my notes, I'm still putting together the actual character charts, and that just takes time. So, for today, I'm going to just leave you with these two that I've completed so far, and I'll keep trickling in new charts as I go. This should also help the gaps between threads be shorter, since I can also watch new episodes while I continue working on getting these images together. Anyways! Sorry for the wait and thanks for your patience as I figure out a workflow! Here's three new character charts.

Bit (or recurring) Characters who are worth noting:
Spoiler:
Fictional Characters who are real in-universe:
Spoiler:
Other Citizens of Quahog:
Spoiler:
100% pure gamer 100%
Aidan
that is James McAvoy as MISTER TUMNUS
Yrrzy
(May 20, 2022 at 9:33 PM)sealelement Wrote: [Image: ypg7qj.png]

bruce lookin like this
Draku
having never properly watched this show it's interesting to me that even the rough first season where it's finding its footing has a diamond in the rough

i'm also amused that family guy is a show where it's apparently BETTER when the characters get flanderized and more crazy, but i suppose that makes a fair amount of sense in this particular case

also of course those episodes are still up, corps do not care unless you make a callout post that went big so that they can get positive PR off of it (i will laugh if you're right about that particular episode and the general timing)
[Image: s2n7oi.png]

Thread Tags

lost fatego ohno draku game