when movies and TV overlay graphics to represent text messages

T-man
computers and smartphones are an integral part of everyday life and at this point it would be weird if they weren't represented in media, nowadays movies and TV overlay a texting interface to show the on-screen text as opposed to cutting to a shot of a screen one or more times. I understand why they do it, but I dunno I think I fuckin hate it. This is some Scott Pilgrim ass shit:

[Image: Smart-Select-20220911-172144-You-Tube.gif]

[Image: tumblr_o8l6ovXRN91uczg6eo2_400.gifv]
sealelement
wtf this guy has a problem with scott pilgrim. get his ass
100% pure gamer 100%
Draku
[Image: L9ep9aM.jpg]
[Image: bATs1C0.jpg]

It was done really cute in Yuru Camp because they were made the primary focus of the scenes in question and had silly voice acting to go along with it, such as the actors trying to accurately represent phone keyboard mashing which was hysterical and a good gag in and of itself. I think it's about how you present/direct it. Granted, this was also an anime -- it looks WAY stupider in live action as your examples show unless you exert a LOT more effort.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
(Sep 11, 2022 at 10:56 PM)sealelement Wrote: wtf this guy has a problem with scott pilgrim. get his ass
I don't have a problem with it because that movie having on screen elements like a video game HUD is actually appropriate, for other live action media it feels... immersion breaking? I'm not watching these events unfold through a Google Lens.
Elyk
I spend 90% of my day looking down at my phone so it would make sense for 90% of the movie have a camera pointed at one too.
Yrrzy
the problem with them imo is in representing it in such a way that it feels natural

it can be important in a movie to portray a text conversation, but there are very few ways in which it actually makes sense and reads well
Spritanium
Showing tiny text on a screen that I'm watching through another screen is never gonna work, I'm way too blind for that. Honestly works of fiction are better when they pretend we still have shitty 2007 phones that can only display two words at a time
Spritanium
They could also just have the person holding the phone narrate the conversation to themselves, which is hard to pull off naturally but it's a lot more natural than text bubbles flying up on the screen lol
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Anonymous
It's better than the UK soap drama tried and true method; aka holding the camera up to the phone screen that hopefully you can read what someone is typing for the two seconds it's up.
T-man
(Sep 14, 2022 at 8:58 PM)Spritanium Wrote: They could also just have the person holding the phone narrate the conversation to themselves, which is hard to pull off naturally but it's a lot more natural than text bubbles flying up on the screen lol
How about this, every protagonist is a boomer who has Siri read and write their texts. Sounds like a great workaround period send.
Jetamo
i really need to remember to not be logged in as feetio
[Image: ybpjq8e.png]
Fun With Despair
film was better before smartphones
Yrrzy

classic video essay on the subject
Spritanium
(Sep 15, 2022 at 1:56 AM)Fun With Despair Wrote: film was better before smartphones
I think this is just a reflection of the fact that real life was better before smartphones, and I say this as a guy who spent almost all my free time on the internet as a kid. It was better when there was some kind of divide between physical/digital communication and the internet was like a special secret club instead of just an obligation machine
[Image: supercorrect.png]
sealelement
boomer ass thread tbh
100% pure gamer 100%
T-man
I just want to grill for God's sake!