mario the movie poster (new game awards clip)

Draku
(Oct 6, 2022 at 11:41 PM)sealelement Wrote:
(Oct 6, 2022 at 7:26 PM)Draku Wrote:
(Oct 6, 2022 at 7:09 PM)Elyk Wrote: Peach with textured hair doesn't seem right.
everything about this movie's visual style screams NINTENDO, HIRE THIS MAN

really? i thought it was surprising how close to the visuals of the games this was. like it looks like nintendo held illumination on a tight leash in taht department
it looked a bit better in the trailer compared to the leaked stuff/the poster

but i still think the way they went about adding detail was bizarre
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
I guess they learned from the Sonic movie that people really just want to see the same character they see in the games lol
Spritanium
This design is actually adorable

[Image: 20221006-195143.png]
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Reeb
I actually liked the Jack Black Bowser. The effects on his fire breath were pretty good!
T-man
(Oct 7, 2022 at 5:18 AM)Reeb Wrote: I actually liked the Jack Black Bowser. The effects on his fire breath were pretty good!
That was the highlight of the trailer for me, it was badass.

thoughts based on leaked toys:
T-man
shitload of promo images:
Yrrzy
how does every image manage to make me simultaneously hopeful and disappointed
T-man
At this point I'm ready for the modern equivalent of the DiC cartoons, I can't wait. I really hope we get a rap in the spirit of the Super Show intro. I never realized how brilliant "Plumbing's our game" is. Whoever wrote that shit back then needs to get paid.
Aidan
(Nov 29, 2022 at 12:57 AM)T-man Wrote: At this point I'm ready for the modern equivalent of the DiC cartoons, I can't wait. I really hope we get a rap in the spirit of the Super Show intro. I never realized how brilliant "Plumbing's our game" is. Whoever wrote that shit back then needs to get paid.

should we also fire the guy who came up with "you just got luigi'd"
T-man
(Nov 29, 2022 at 1:02 AM)Aidan Wrote: should we also fire the guy who came up with "you just got luigi'd"
It's going to be his big line in the climax
Draku
mario and luigi have such unsettlingly weird faces, god damn. this is why you don't mess with facial proportions of established characters folks

bowser looks like a doofus which i guess fits his vocal casting
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
It bothers me how the emblems don't rest on the brims of their caps. The designs have such weird drawn-from-memory energy. I still believe these changes were made from a merchandising perspective.
Elyk
Nintendo is so particular about Mario's design being consistent in everything I can't believe that they fucked up the hats.
T-man

[Image: bBfakmQ.jpg]
Spritanium
Am I the only one who thinks it would've been weirder if the movie designs were completely on-model? If they just used the game models it would look like a SFM fan project, and it would be incredibly unsettling to see them speaking in complete sentences
T-man
(Nov 29, 2022 at 8:38 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Am I the only one who thinks it would've been weirder if the movie designs were completely on-model? If they just used the game models it would look like a SFM fan project, and it would be incredibly unsettling to see them speaking in complete sentences
This is only because Nintendo refuses to rip the bandaid off and they've just kicked the can down the road for another few years. Next Level Games have already shown how well the established designs can animate in their Switch titles, and yeah it is a little uncanny to see Wario and Waluigi close their mouths, but I'd rather deal with some initial awkwardness rather than Illuminated versions of beloved characters.
T-man
Spritanium
tbh when I heard Illumination was doing the movie I thought it would be incredibly cartoony like everything else they make, instead they have some really detailed textures going on. I almost like this style more than the one from the games
Spritanium
Trailer looks great, I'm really into it. I feel like if this came out when we were 12 I would've lost my fucking mind. Kids have such cool shit nowadays
Fun With Despair
[Image: Rr25K4o.png]