Poll: Should political discussion be allowed, period?

Yes
47.37%
No
52.63%
Total: 19 vote(s)

Political Discussion: Stay Or Go?

Spritanium
idk, I think we're all old enough to just kinda get over it when someone is mean to us on the internet. We all know how trolling works, all it takes to end it is to log off for a few hours and stop providing a reaction. I think that's a fantastic power that discussion on a site like this gives us - we're never stuck, we can always walk away and calm down, and I think we should do that as soon as the Beef starts making us real-life mad

Of course we've all failed at this in the past, nobody's perfect, but banning a particularly-controversial topic of discussion is just treating a symptom of the core problem while making the site less interesting for people who are interested in said topic
[Image: supercorrect.png]
I'll just be direct.

We have exactly 2 members who actively engage in politics-talk here willingly and enjoy it. They are almost exclusively online 24/7. So maybe you're vindicated once again Spritey. Instead of banning politics we should be teaching people how to log off

edit: and no don't ask me who the other 3 people who voted yes are i don't know either
Aidan
(Nov 15, 2022 at 7:32 PM)Zelma Wrote: Instead of banning politics we should be teaching people how to log off

Mindtranscend
Spritanium
2 members is a not-insignificant percentage of this community
Yrrzy
i think you should read the "political debates" that sparked this thread, i dont think anyone was learning anything or having their ideas challenged
(Nov 15, 2022 at 10:17 PM)Spritanium Wrote: 2 members is a not-insignificant percentage of this community

Maybe not; but I've heard enough of Dude's and Money's political takes to know at best they're pretty basic/lukewarm and at worst they're fucking awful.
Hearts
Maybe a certain kind of person feels invigorated by political parley but after seeing the same cyclical shit fail to resolve for months or years it just fries my brain instead. It is actually difficult for me to fathom how some people have the energy to keep going for so long, and lack the self-awareness to realize the rest of us don't want to see it.
Spritanium
You don't have to see it. That doesn't mean you have to ban it
Dude
(Nov 15, 2022 at 10:32 PM)Zelma Wrote: Maybe not; but I've heard enough of Dude's and Money's political takes to know at best they're pretty basic/lukewarm and at worst they're fucking awful.
the fuck kind of terrible takes do i have
i'll concede on basic with takes like "maybe humans should have those rights that people talk about these days"
Jetamo
as i mentioned in the discord my issue is the thing that prompted *this* poll
was ultimately less a political argument and more two people having it out at eachother.

banning political discussion wouldn't have stopped that argument. y'might as well try and ban arguments.
Jetamo
im actually rescinding my yes vote and slapping it in the third option labeled "lmao" now
[Image: ybpjq8e.png]
Draku
(Nov 16, 2022 at 1:02 AM)Jetamo Wrote: as i mentioned in the discord my issue is the thing that prompted *this* poll
was ultimately less a political argument and more two people having it out at eachother.

banning political discussion wouldn't have stopped that argument. y'might as well try and ban arguments.
i fully agree with this, it has literally nothing to do with the channel

however it resulted in a lot of members speaking up about their distaste for there being a political slant to mw at all which i think is a valid thing to talk about
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Fun With Despair
Functionally I don't see a difference between having no politics talk and having it be opt-in. Those who want a site with none of it can simply opt out, and we can penalize people who start political fights outside of the designated channel much easier than if it was blanket banned, which creates a weird gray area with regards to what counts as political
(Nov 16, 2022 at 12:41 AM)Dude Wrote:
(Nov 15, 2022 at 10:32 PM)Zelma Wrote: Maybe not; but I've heard enough of Dude's and Money's political takes to know at best they're pretty basic/lukewarm and at worst they're fucking awful.
the fuck kind of terrible takes do i have
i'll concede on basic with takes like "maybe humans should have those rights that people talk about these days"

Well in the spirit of everything is political allow me to list them:

>thinks Final Fantasy VI is the best final fantasy

>Openly being ok with having a homestuck avi

>Openly enjoying Dragon Ball Super(something I don't like and also can be viewed as Japanese nationalist propoganda)

>Is okay with preferring DQVII PS1 over 3DS ver

>Thinks Toby Fox hasn't created a single bad track ever

>is Canadian

[Image: m57aea.gif]
Spritanium
Thinking about this more, I think it's really case-by-case, which means we should have a method to just stop a particular discussion via popular demand if people are being annoying. If we want to really ham it up like the old days, we could have a "Mediator" user class which would be really funny

We should really think hard about how this would be moderated if "No political discussion" was actually added as a rule. I've seen a ton of forums with that rule and it never stops people from being awful to each other, and it's also super easy for it to morph into "No political discussion [that this random moderator disagrees with]"
Hearts
We've essentially addressed the issue already with a new rule in the Discord, the politics channel is still alive as an opt-in channel and the new rule just bonks people who have drawn out arguments and don't stop when they're asked

I think the consensus is that nobody actually wants to have hard rules about what we can discuss because we'd prefer to treat each other like reasonable adults, it's the whole "reasonable" thing that gives us trouble sometimes
Draku
(Nov 16, 2022 at 5:16 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Thinking about this more, I think it's really case-by-case, which means we should have a method to just stop a particular discussion via popular demand if people are being annoying. If we want to really ham it up like the old days, we could have a "Mediator" user class which would be really funny

We should really think hard about how this would be moderated if "No political discussion" was actually added as a rule. I've seen a ton of forums with that rule and it never stops people from being awful to each other, and it's also super easy for it to morph into "No political discussion [that this random moderator disagrees with]"
We did wind up making a rule in regards to moderators being able to end lengthy arguments if they're making a noticeable negative impact shortly after this thread went up. I hope it and the opt-in nature fix the issues that spawned this thread as Hearts said. But it's still a good discussion to have and be able to potentially come back to in the future. Looking at the results I don't think we'll be banning political discussion anytime soon but this thread's been quite active with multiple good points.

>it's also super easy for it to morph into "No political discussion [that this random moderator disagrees with]"

We have multiple staff members and the ability to elevate issues for a reason. I would like to at least believe that both Elyk and I would be able to act properly in terms of judging all political discussion equally rather than making it a censorship tool, if the need ever arose.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Dude
(Nov 16, 2022 at 7:25 AM)Zelma Wrote: Well in the spirit of everything is political allow me to list them:

>thinks Final Fantasy VI is the best final fantasy

>Openly being ok with having a homestuck avi

>Openly enjoying Dragon Ball Super(something I don't like and also can be viewed as Japanese nationalist propoganda)

>Is okay with preferring DQVII PS1 over 3DS ver

>Thinks Toby Fox hasn't created a single bad track ever

>is Canadian

>most of that ain't even true

is this the power of no politics?