Spritanium
I'm legitimately curious to know if Ninty has ever read a single piece of criticism regarding their products. They really seem to just do whatever they feel like.

They could pay some dude minimum wage to patrol fansites and social media outlets for feedback, and they'd be able to actually move products without needing to fall back on the SMB3 formula (which was old a decade ago)
Spritanium
Nobody likes this gimped RPG format they're trying to push, and by that I mean I haven't met a single person who enjoys it. Even when they put effort into the game it just falls flat.

It's like if they tried to simplify the 3D Mario format by making everything linea---OH YEAH THAT'S RIGHT
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Fun With Despair
(Nov 22, 2016 at 6:05 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Nobody likes this gimped RPG format they're trying to push, and by that I mean I haven't met a single person who enjoys it. Even when they put effort into the game it just falls flat.

It's like if they tried to simplify the 3D Mario format by making everything linea---OH YEAH THAT'S RIGHT
the fact that the recent 3D Mario games have such a large amount of fans despite being a huge step back in every way baffles me

>b-but the platforming is good!

It was good in Galaxy too, which had creative levels that usually made sense based on the planet theme, and weren't just platforms hovering over way more interesting backgrounds most of the time.

making every level a resdesign of Bowser In The Dark World is an awful choice
Draku
(Nov 22, 2016 at 7:54 PM)Fun With Despair Wrote:
(Nov 22, 2016 at 6:05 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Nobody likes this gimped RPG format they're trying to push, and by that I mean I haven't met a single person who enjoys it. Even when they put effort into the game it just falls flat.

the fact that the recent 3D Mario games have such a large amount of fans despite being a huge step back in every way baffles me

>b-but the platforming is good!

It was good in Galaxy too, which had creative levels that usually made sense based on the planet theme, and weren't just platforms hovering over way more interesting backgrounds most of the time.

making every level a resdesign of Bowser In The Dark World is an awful choice
3d world is amazing because it's a really good adaptation of the 2d mario experience to 3d and it knows that. 3d land was a failed version of this concept

galaxy 1 and 2 are shit because they're just inferior forms of mario 64's format with what was good about it ripped out
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Fun With Despair
I'm probably the only person alive who even really hates 3D World as much as I do.

To date it's the only Mario game I straight up couldn't even finish because I got so bored.
T-man
(Nov 22, 2016 at 8:18 PM)JoshJDubya Wrote: But I liked Galaxy 1... :c

I'd say Galaxy 1 is the better of the two, if only due to it's more whimsical, fairytalesque presentation. Galaxy 2 isn't as strong as a standalone package, but it's phenomenal as an expansion.
Spritanium
Galaxy 2 pissed me off because it fooled you into thinking there was a hub world, when in reality it's just a world map with a 100% pointless spaceship thing
Spritanium
And Galaxy 1's hub world sucks because there's nothing to do, but at least SOME of those levels are semi-open and exploration based

Unfortunately the exploration levels were also boring as shit, remember that beach one? Neither do I because it felt like a test level
Spritanium
3D World is a terrific game as a spin-off. In context, as the flagship Mario title for the Wii U, it's an embarrassment. It's bad enough that it took them like 10 years to actually get the "modernized classic Mario" thing right for once, but then they went ahead and tried to pass it off as the best they could do.

Also if the new Mario makes you hold the B button to run, I'm not buying a Switch
T-man
(Nov 22, 2016 at 9:21 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Also if the new Mario makes you hold the B button to run, I'm not buying a Switch
I've never understood the sentiment. It's different, but I don't think it's bad. It makes running more deliberate.

This is the least of Modern 3D Mario's problems.
mit
honestly having a run button in a 3D platformer that uses an analog stick makes movement really non-fluid (3D world being a great example where keeping your momentum up is a pain thanks to no triple jump) so to an extent i agree
[Image: 13a3785a5b.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: fef8774bcc.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: f5cb2d4fad.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: b7385c9f62.png]
T-man
(Nov 22, 2016 at 9:45 PM)mit Wrote: honestly having a run button in a 3D platformer that uses an analog stick makes movement really non-fluid (3D world being a great example where keeping your momentum up is a pain thanks to no triple jump) so to an extent i agree

Yeah that makes sense. Momentum based movement is a bit too high level for the infant children Nintendo makes their games for.
mit
(Nov 22, 2016 at 9:47 PM)T-man Wrote:
(Nov 22, 2016 at 9:45 PM)mit Wrote: honestly having a run button in a 3D platformer that uses an analog stick makes movement really non-fluid (3D world being a great example where keeping your momentum up is a pain thanks to no triple jump) so to an extent i agree

Yeah that makes sense. Momentum based movement is a bit too high level for the infant children Nintendo makes their games for.

the funny thing is most young children barely touch the run button
[Image: 13a3785a5b.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: fef8774bcc.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: f5cb2d4fad.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: b7385c9f62.png]
Spritanium
The entire purpose of an analog stick, in addition to allowing 360 degrees of movement, is that it allows you to control speed/momentum as well. They made a big deal of this in SM64 (sneaking up to piranha plants)

If you make someone hold down a digital button to increase their speed when they're already using an analog stick, well then that's annoying as well as literally pointless.
Spritanium
tbh I feel like Nintendo would have reverted to a D-pad by now if it weren't for third party support, and I'm only half kidding

EDIT: Actually more like 25% kidding
mit
was the gamecube the first console to have analog triggers? either way they haven't had those since and im sorely missing them
Spritanium
I think it was, and it was demonstrated extremely well in a launch title (Luigi's House of Scares) just like the analog stick was. It was a fantastically intuitive addition, now standard on all controllers, and Nintendo dropped it after 1 gen lmao