the cropping on tall avatars into the circle view is so funny

Renzo "The Renz" Kukenson
IF YOU ASK THE RENZ, AND YOU SHOULD, SQUARED CIRCLES ARE A MUCH BETTER OPTION

BUT SIMPLY BEING ABLE TO ADJUST THE CROPPING ON THE CURRENT CIRCLE WOULD SUFFICE
Beako
(May 17, 2016 at 10:03 PM)Spritanium Wrote:
(May 17, 2016 at 9:31 PM)rtsmarty Wrote: would be nice to have a way to move where the circle goes i guess

Pretty easy I think

Use a JS draggable plugin on the avatar change page, store the position X and Y, and set the background-position on all the img-circle avatars
That seems like the best thing to do to me, plus the circular avatar area should be a square with rounded edges (like all the buttons here) as The Renz suggested.
Spritanium
I've tried a few mockups with rounded squares, the problem is it basically makes avatars invisible since there are so many rounded rectangles already
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Draku
(May 25, 2016 at 9:53 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I've tried a few mockups with rounded squares, the problem is it basically makes avatars invisible since there are so many rounded rectangles already
i have no idea how, considering avatars stand out by being very different color-wise than the rest of the skin(s) would be
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
You would think, but color is only one type of contrast, shape is also important. If you know circle = user it makes avatars subtly easier to find
kaZaam
i think uve just got a thing for circles sprite
T-man
(May 26, 2016 at 4:47 AM)McPhresh Wrote: i think uve just got a thing for circles sprite
I haven't seen Spritey's mock ups but here's one I made myself back when we were first having the discussion about squares over circles.

[Image: bLXc8Xk.png]

I wasn't too impressed. Though, looking at it again, it's not so bad.
Draku
(May 26, 2016 at 4:55 AM)T-man Wrote:
(May 26, 2016 at 4:47 AM)McPhresh Wrote: i think uve just got a thing for circles sprite
I haven't seen Spritey's mock ups but here's one I made myself back when we were first having the discussion about squares over circles.

img

i like that significantly better, holy crap
Mario
[deleted]
kaZaam
(May 26, 2016 at 5:02 AM)Draku Wrote:
(May 26, 2016 at 4:55 AM)T-man Wrote:

img

i like that significantly better, holy crap
yeah wtf whats the prob here
Spritanium
y'all are crazy

like maybe if I increased the border radius to 10px it would look acceptable, but with the 4px radius it just takes so much variety away from the design imo
Spritanium
Okay let's try rounded rectangles without borders for a bit and see how you guys like those

I like them okay, not sure if they were better/worse with the border
kaZaam
sometimes variety is shitty
T-man
I kind of miss the borders but the rounded squares are tight
Draku
browsing experience improved 5x
Renzo "The Renz" Kukenson
THIS IS NOT WHAT THE RENZ HAD IN MIND WHEN HE SPOKE OF SQUARED CIRCLES, BUT I DIG IT ANYWAYS
rtsmarty
perfect
Mario
[deleted]
Draku
hibiki's head can be seen by all now!
Two_Finger
great
[Image: GrFo47K.jpg]