Poll: Should spells be made permanent or stay primarily temporary?

Spells should always be permanent.
41.67%
Spells should mostly be temporary.
58.33%
Total: 12 vote(s)
Spritanium
I've thought about this more and for certain spells it does make sense that they're automatically permanent.

With Great Sh*t and Frame That Sh*t, the content of the post isn't obscured in any way. They're basically the "thank you" Spells. With that in mind, it doesn't make sense for them to be temporary - but it also doesn't make sense for them to be so affordable.

The idea behind Frame That Sh*t was always to effectively create a community-curated archive of posts that stand out among the rest. I always envisioned it being the most expensive Spell. I think Great Sh*t should cost 200 EXP and Frame That Sh*t 1000 EXP.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Draku
if frame that sh*t gets that gallery feature (moreso than what is already there for the spell statistics page) it could definitely cost that much and be worth it
Draku
(Nov 22, 2016 at 5:41 PM)JoshJDubya Wrote: Sounds kinda pricey for a sweet spell.
not if it sends the post into a special gallery of The Best Posts

plus we need some actually pricey spells now that everyone's getting shitloads of EXP anyways.

i do want a feature where multiple people can pitch in to cast spells though. like you can put 500 XP towards a frame that sh*t and it'll show up whenever someone else opens the spellbook on the post and someone else can pay the remaining 500 XP or add 250 to the pot. maybe as a class feature?
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
In Season 2 we'll have more sweet spells; right now it looks like 5 spells from each alignment will be included

Bling It On (a blingee-inspired spell, for those unaware) will be cheaper and will hopefully help to fill the gigantic gap that would be created by more-than-doubling the price of Frame That Sh*t.

I'll absolutely add the gallery feature so the 1000exp price will be justified.
Agastya
(Nov 22, 2016 at 5:08 PM)Spritanium Wrote: The idea behind Frame That Sh*t was always to effectively create a community-curated archive of posts that stand out among the rest. I always envisioned it being the most expensive Spell. I think Great Sh*t should cost 200 EXP and Frame That Sh*t 1000 EXP.
(Nov 22, 2016 at 5:55 PM)Draku Wrote: i do want a feature where multiple people can pitch in to cast spells though. like you can put 500 XP towards a frame that sh*t and it'll show up whenever someone else opens the spellbook on the post and someone else can pay the remaining 500 XP or add 250 to the pot. maybe as a class feature?

if we add donating to a spell pot then we can make frame that sh*t expensive af and turn it into the minus world spirit bomb where a load of users have to get together and charge it to show how great the post is

it can be a great finisher for bosses too
BIRDS ACTIVATED
🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦
God
really looking forward to unlocking all the Spells that you can only get when your morality is below minus 50%
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
For the better of the community and growth of the site; I personally DO NOT think spells should be permanent. It would make it less impactful when someone does choose to make something permanent plus it adds a layer of depth to the metagame

alternatively; make spells permanent only on the illiterate motherfuckers who decided to post in my december 4th thread
Beako
Sweet Spells should be permanent. Salty Spells should be temporary. IDK about Pizza Spells. It might be annoying if Respellent was permanent all the time.
Two_Finger
(Nov 23, 2016 at 4:30 AM)Puddin Wrote: Sweet Spells should be permanent. Salty Spells should be temporary. IDK about Pizza Spells. It might be annoying if Respellent was permanent all the time.

I don't know about that
I wouldn't want to see rainbows all over the place permanently
[Image: GrFo47K.jpg]
Beako
Good point but couldn't resist.
Two_Finger
nothing but if every post in a thread has them forever it can be a bit obnoxious
and taxing on peoples hardware
Mario
[deleted]
Draku
yeah i agree with wtl, people will make replies referring back to a spell that wears off in a week and thus reading it past that is utterly confusing. it doesn't really work and threads don't generally live long enough for it to matter either. only stuff like fab feels like it works out with the non-permanent manner
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Agastya
spell history button so you can look at what a post looked like on the days it had a spell active on it
BIRDS ACTIVATED
🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦
Aidan
(Nov 23, 2016 at 2:13 PM)JoshJDubya Wrote: Btw, the gallery feature was mentioned for Frame That Sh*t, probably should have FTS disable edits on a post and prevent further spellcasts when activated so you can capture the post as it was meant to be. For users that aren't so keen on such a feature, there should be an opt-out button of some sort. I know that certain members in the past have purged their old posts and FTS would forever highlight one of them, so that's gotta be an option.

speaking as a leading member in a secret international organization that indirectly controls the world's governments and continually collects information on all humans to ensure limited free thought, i think we should leave framed posts in there
if they're framed someone thinks they should be seen
Spritanium
Spell history would be a good feature. I don't really want to make any more ajax requests, but as a page that would theoretically let you see how any spell looks on any post, that could work
Spritanium
We already have a log of spells and it's actually useful now that I've matched up the auto-incremented IDs to the active spells table
T-man
Seems like there's a bit of a split but the majority falls on temporary.

That's fine, I think we have the best of both worlds already. Unsticking for now.

Thread Tags

spells metagame poll